Jason Peters...a little salt

Nobody is denying the Peters trade, they are stating that Jauron the moron didn't draft a replacement, or even bring in a decent free agent.

There had to be at least 4 decent free agent tackles he could have brought in last year after he cut Langston Walker. He cut Walker because he couldn't keep up with the no huddle offense they scrapped a few weeks later , what a joke of a coach.

interesting about walker not being able to keep up with the no-huddle. was there anything ever written about that in the press?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peters DID NOT WANT TO BE HERE. Why don't people get this? Yes, he was certainly better than anything we had last year or going into this year, but the guy didn't want to play for Buffalo and it showed on the field.

Frankly, I don't know of any pro bowl LT who would want to be here for what they were paying him. Anyone?

The reason he probably didn't want to be here is that we screwed him in '07 when he held out.

He was a top tackle in '06, and wanted to be paid like it. Sounds reasonable enough right? Screw that. Not in Ralph's house. In Ralph's house you take a $4mm year pay cut, under what you can get on the open market, and you go be happy about it.

I don't think I would have wanted to stick around either.

Love to see a show of hands who think Doc is right and Walker would have solved the problem at LT. El Tigre is all thumbs up on that.

Have you guys ever heard the saying "don't cut off your nose to spite your face?". The Bills done f*cked their own sh*t up but they taught him a lesson making him go play for a contender for pro bowl LT money. At least they also let all the other pro bowl LT's on their roster know they mean business.

The Bills went 7-9 the three previous seasons with Peters at LT. They went 6-10 with a revolving door at LT. And you wanted the Bills to play Peters $10M/year?

Peters DID NOT WANT TO BE HERE. Why don't people get this? Yes, he was certainly better than anything we had last year or going into this year, but the guy didn't want to play for Buffalo and it showed on the field.

Take what you make in a year, deduct 60% for hometown discount and tell me how much you want to work there.

Simply a money issue. Used to happen practically every year with Orlando Pace and Walter Jones who were routinely franchised.

The Bills made some mistakes in years past that surely emboldened Peters and his agent. Things like obliging players requests to be traded or released(McGahee and Takeo Spikes), agreeing to let Nate Clements become a unrestricted free agent when they had the right to franchise him and he had no leverage....... Some people here were actually adamant that that type of willingness to give in to player demands would somehow make the Bills look good to potential free agents. Like the Bills were therefore somehow "good guys" who cared about player needs.

Truth is, what they had shown was that they had no backbone so Peters and his agent brought the fight right to them. He had no leverage. The Bills held the cards, they could pay him or make him play for what he had bargained for. He was either going to have to come to play in 2009 or he would have killed his premium earnings potential. Armed with the past histories of guys like Pace, Jones, Julius Peppers etc....the Bills took the easy way out, now they can certainly expect more of the same from good players on good value contracts in the future. If Byrd has a good season next year, expect a demand to renegotiate followed by a request for a trade. That's the formula in Buffalo.

if we didn't move Peters then we don't get Wood and we'd need a RG

Good point. Only wish Wood was healthy for next season. I know he is "ahead of schedule".. but there will still be a draft pick or two plus another FA signing to reinforce that line until he is back and the LT situation is worked out.

So many holes, so few picks.. Hope Nix lives up to his reputation. :thumbdown:

The Bills went 7-9 the three previous seasons with Peters at LT. They went 6-10 with a revolving door at LT. And you wanted the Bills to play Peters $10M/year?

Technically, a win in the NFL is worth at least $10M(unless you are the Colts) if you are using the salary cap as a basis(because frankly I don't care what the players actually earn, just how it relates to competitiveness). The Bills actually pay about $15M per win, even at cash to cap. And they were already paying Peters about $4M, so unless he got $14M per season I guess giving up that one win was a net loss. So yeah, even under your ridiculous analogy I wanted the Bills to keep Peters.

Langston Walker at LT? Are you serious trying to pass that off. He ended up third string RT on the Raiders.

Take what you make in a year, deduct 60% for hometown discount and tell me how much you want to work there.

Simply a money issue. Used to happen practically every year with Orlando Pace and Walter Jones who were routinely franchised.

The Bills made some mistakes in years past that surely emboldened Peters and his agent. Things like obliging players requests to be traded or released(McGahee and Takeo Spikes), agreeing to let Nate Clements become a unrestricted free agent when they had the right to franchise him and he had no leverage....... Some people here were actually adamant that that type of willingness to give in to player demands would somehow make the Bills look good to potential free agents. Like the Bills were therefore somehow "good guys" who cared about player needs.

Truth is, what they had shown was that they had no backbone so Peters and his agent brought the fight right to them. He had no leverage. The Bills held the cards, they could pay him or make him play for what he had bargained for. He was either going to have to come to play in 2009 or he would have killed his premium earnings potential. Armed with the past histories of guys like Pace, Jones, Julius Peppers etc....the Bills took the easy way out, now they can certainly expect more of the same from good players on good value contracts in the future. If Byrd has a good season next year, expect a demand to renegotiate followed by a request for a trade. That's the formula in Buffalo.

Peters is not worth franchise money. He isn't now and he wasn't when the Bills traded him. The Bills FO screws up all the time,and that probly laid the groundwork for the Peters situation. But that doesn't change the fact that the Eagles WAAAAY overpaid Peters. The big F-up by the front office was not trading an under acheiving malcontent. It was that they didn't make the right moves afterward.

The idiocy was not only trading your "Pro Bowl" LT, it was also not having a plan to fill his absence.

The idiocy was once again screwing up the draft. They had the chance to replace Peters with a bon fide star in Oher in last year's draft and instead wasted the pick on a 230 lb. DE.

I'd take Oher and Wood over Peters any day of the week.

Technically, a win in the NFL is worth at least $10M(unless you are the Colts) if you are using the salary cap as a basis(because frankly I don't care what the players actually earn, just how it relates to competitiveness). The Bills actually pay about $15M per win, even at cash to cap. And they were already paying Peters about $4M, so unless he got $14M per season I guess giving up that one win was a net loss. So yeah, even under your ridiculous analogy I wanted the Bills to keep Peters.

Wait, what? "A win is more at least $10M?" So the more you spend, the more you win? Quick, someone tell the Redskins they've actually been undefeated all these years!

Again, if paying Peters $6M more for that extra/7th win was so important to you, go with that. He showed himself by holding-out until days before the season started, playing poorly, and still demanding to be the highest-paid LT in the game. The annual injuries only make him less worth the money.

Langston Walker at LT? Are you serious trying to pass that off. He ended up third string RT on the Raiders.

I'm sure Lang could have gotten the Bills that 7th win. And for just $1M more than Peters made in 2008. :thumbdown:

The difference is that Walter Jones and Orlando Pace (much like Bruce) could skip camp and still come in and play at a pro-bowl level. Jason Peters came in and played like a fat retarded slob. Stephen Hawking could have played better at LT than Peters in 2008. At least he could have recognized a blitzing safety instead of standing there picking his ass.

Peters is not worth franchise money. He isn't now and he wasn't when the Bills traded him. The Bills FO screws up all the time,and that probly laid the groundwork for the Peters situation. But that doesn't change the fact that the Eagles WAAAAY overpaid Peters. The big F-up by the front office was not trading an under acheiving malcontent. It's that they didn't make the right moves afterward.

Tigre, I am afraid you are guilty of letting your misplaced anger cloud your judgement.

The Peters situation wasn't the one good move sandwiched between years and years of bad calls. They knew they were at odds with Peters why didn't they keep Peters and draft Ryan Clady in 2008? Or keep Peters and drafting Michael Oher in 2009. Oh, that's right, they had LANGSTON WALKER. They didn't need TWO tackles.

Face it, the Peters debacle was just one in a very long line, a line that got significantly more concentrated with the hiring of one geriatric, unqualified old fool named Marv Levy. The fool who insisted on hiring an idiot named Dick Jauron, who in turn sent the organization into complete irrelevance.

The difference is that Walter Jones and Orlando Pace (much like Bruce) could skip camp and still come in and play at a pro-bowl level. Jason Peters came in and played like a fat retarded slob. Stephen Hawking could have played better at LT than Peters in 2008. At least he could have recognized a blitzing safety instead of standing there picking his ass.

Spoken like a man who didn't see Pace and Jones play. They had their struggles and were roundly criticized for not being in shape. Especially Pace who had a tendency to get injured after his summer vacations. But don't let the truth get in the way of your argument.

How about Chad Muchostinko? He had a horrible year two years ago while he pouted. Yeah, he missed Palmer, but 540 yards receiving from the guy who consistently lead the AFC in receiving yardage? Pouting is bad for performance, Ramass. It hurts your performance here, I've seen it. You do better on subjects where you are right.

But I digress...Chad pouted. Peters pouted. Once 85 realized that the Bengals weren't going to let him talk his way out of town and he came back and had another big yardage, big ypc year and the Bengals made the playoffs. Could the Bills have made the playoffs with Peters/Dockery/Walker all still on the team along with the addition of TO? Maybe not, but I have a suspicion they would have had a winning record and the jury would at the very least still be out on Captain Checkdown because that group was actually pretty fair at protecting the QB in 2008. Winning records mean something when you only get 1 every ten years.

I'm still salty...so a year after...I have to say it.

THIS year's draft was why you didn't release Jason Peters.

We have too many holes to fill, not the least of which is Left Tackle, and we only have one first round pick.

A lot of people hated him, including me. He was fat and lazy, and took plays off. He wanted to be paid more than he was worth. He was a late round turd we polished into something competent whose head got too big for his own good.

But was he better than the alternative?

Any monkey with two neurons to rub together would have to say yes. :thumbdown:

Peters was not a late round turd, he was an undrafted free agent and how exactly did "we" polish him into anything?

the mistake wasnt trading Peters it was deciding to not draft Oher to replace him who in my opinion is already better then Peters has ever been

Considering that he went from an undrafted college tight end and was developed into a Pro Bowl LT and we got a 1st rounder plus an additional pick for him I think, IMHO, that the Bills got good value for him.

As others have mentioned, we did select Wood, and I sincerely hope that he is fully recovered to play this season for what I pray will be a long and successful career with the Bills.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that this is a player, much like McGahee, that forgot who gave them their shot in the first place. I would argue that if not for the Bills investing the time and coaching into Peters to turn him into a LT, then any other team that would have given him a chance would have done so as a blocking TE, and he would probably have washed out of the league by now. I do understand the business side of it all, but both McGahee and Peters gave the Bills a raw deal for what Buffalo invested in these 2 players.

Wood, barring injury, is an adequate trade for Peters (and apparently a better attitude). The team is greater than the individual. Peters held the Bills hostage for 2 consecutive seasons and was too interested in the self that he became a liability. His contract squabbling was not worth his talent.

I still agree with the decision. What I do NOT agree with, is the lack of foresight to have found his replacement either through the draft of free agency that after he was jettisoned there was (and still is) a gaping hole at the position. Oher- though a RT by trade- may have been a good pick instead of Maybin. Levi Jones was serviceable in DC last season. There were options available.

So, for me, it was not the trade itself as Peters IMO balked himself out of Buffalo (perhaps by design). It was the extreme idiocy in not having Plan B that still stings for me.

Why does everyone care what he was paid? We were well under the cap and the $$ isn't coming out of your account...so who cares?

Would you rather overpay a decent LT or have noone at a bargain?

It didn't bother our stupid organization that they overpayed for Dockery and Langston Walker. Peters was either the lowest paid or second lowest paid lineman. He had a right to be irritated. When he signed his deal he was a RT. The pay scale for LTs is much higher.

Isn't it curious that the Eagles, an organization which regularly makes the playoffs, drafts better than the Bills, has a better owner, GM and coaching staff were willing to trade for him and pay him at the premium rate he sought? Last year the Eagles made the playoffs, as they regularly do, in a very tough NFC East division. Last year the Bills did not not make the playoffs for the 10th consecutive year. They are presently years away from even contending within their own division. What a surprise. Now they are desperately hoping that they can find a worthy LT in this draft to fill the void left by the Peters departure. Stupidity on top of more stupidity.

Peters was not a late round turd, he was an undrafted free agent and how exactly did "we" polish him into anything?

the mistake wasnt trading Peters it was deciding to not draft Oher to replace him who in my opinion is already better then Peters has ever been

If they were not going to either see the Peters thing thru (like most teams would have), or pay the man, they should have drafted Ryan Clady in 2008, put him at RT and groomed him. Clady may be the best LT in the game now. The complete lack of foresight by this organization has consistently put it in one jackpot after the next. I love that Jabari Greer wasn't good enough to pair with Terrence McGee and a nickelback, but Langston Walker was a snug fit at LT to replace Peters. Had to have them some Leodis! Then, Tinker Bell was suddenly ready to do it after missing most of camp with injuries? What?

BTW, I really liked his movement as a rookie in the preseason. But his biggest issue is going to be the willingness to play with pain. So anyone penciling him in as the the starting LT because of the offseason flattery needs to realize that even if he gets his game together he has to show some toughness before he has any chance of becoming an adequate LT. Meanwhile, the guy they traded, the hated Peters, is the most physical LT in the league.

Considering that he went from an undrafted college tight end and was developed into a Pro Bowl LT and we got a 1st rounder plus an additional pick for him I think, IMHO, that the Bills got good value for him.

By that logic, if the Pats traded former 6th rounder Tom Brady to us for our first rounder they would be getting value. Get Belichick on the phone.

Sorry, but that is not a good argument. That might make sense if you were trading a backup player, and therefore getting back more than your initial investment and not losing anything on the field.......but not when you are talking about your one and only legitimate perennial pro bowl talent.

The LTs for the Bills last year were Langston Walker/Demetrius Bell/Kirk Chambers. Enough said.

Walker never played LT during a real game for the Bills, John. Again the real mistake was cutting him just days before the season started.