Buffalo in desparate need of Tight End production...

With the NFL being primarily a passing league these days, I believe the Bills need to get more out of their Tight End position next year. Terrell Owens was signed last year to relieve Lee Evans of double teaming, but, as it turned out, T.O. has indeed hit the wall, and, yes Bills fans, you do in fact need a QB to throw the ball to recievers, and, more-so, an offensive line to protect ANY quarterback, even three lousy ones.

Now, that being said, I think Shawn Nelson needs to be more involved in pass-catching next year. The QB(s) very rarely threw at him last year with us having to cater and pander to Owens last year, however, when Nelson was thrown to, I thought he did VERY well. Nelson has good size and good hands, and more production out of him and the position will be key, yet rarely discussed, in Buffalo's turn around. He's a guy nobody ever talks about, but I hate seeing talent wasted only to go elsewhere and be productive.

Chan, get this guy involed down the middle of the field next season, BIG MUST!

I think our TE production is obscured by our line issues. Plays broke down before Fits/Edwards could even get a ball off. We have decent TE's already in Nelson and Stupar. TE is way down on the list of needs. Not every position can be filled with pro bowlers.

PTR

Guest dog14787
I think our TE production is obscured by our line issues. Plays broke down before Fits/Edwards could even get a ball off. We have decent TE's already in Nelson and Stupar. TE is way down on the list of needs. Not every position can be filled with pro bowlers.

PTR

I agree, we finally have a couple of decent TE's for a change and I'm not saying we don't need some depth, but I really like Nelson and Stupar. ( Nelson has the potential to be a pro bowler one day in my opinion)

We do need better production from our TE's though, no doubt about it.

PTR

well we only have 7 pro bowlers on the team dammit <_< how many more could you expect :D

Moorman

Roscoe

Schobel

Byrd

Lynch

McGee

Stroud

Looking late in the draft, past Garrett Graham, Dennis Pitta, Colin Peek, and Tony Moeaki (all 4th Rounders I think), you could get one tight end in RD6 or RD7. Here's who ought to be there:

Colin Peek-----------Alabama--------at RD5#136-----Least value at that pick (-16)

Andrew Quarless----Penn State------at RD6#182----Moderate value at that pick (+1)

Nate Byham---------Pittsburgh--------at RD7#200---Most value at that pick (+2)

Given our needs, I'll predict Nate Byham--The All Big East tight end.

The numbers compare where he's picked with where he is on our Big Board.

There is no doubt in my mind that New England grabs one of the 4th Rounders, so we'll be seeing one of them twice a year.

With the NFL being primarily a passing league these days, I believe the Bills need to get more out of their Tight End position next year. Terrell Owens was signed last year to relieve Lee Evans of double teaming, but, as it turned out, T.O. has indeed hit the wall, and, yes Bills fans, you do in fact need a QB to throw the ball to recievers, and, more-so, an offensive line to protect ANY quarterback, even three lousy ones.

Now, that being said, I think Shawn Nelson needs to be more involved in pass-catching next year. The QB(s) very rarely threw at him last year with us having to cater and pander to Owens last year, however, when Nelson was thrown to, I thought he did VERY well. Nelson has good size and good hands, and more production out of him and the position will be key, yet rarely discussed, in Buffalo's turn around. He's a guy nobody ever talks about, but I hate seeing talent wasted only to go elsewhere and be productive.

The Jets and Fish(and Bills though it hasn't shown) have been built defensively to beat the Patriots and Tom Brady and his outstanding WR corps. Running the football and throwing to the TE is going to be the path of least resistance in this division, IMO. I'm not thrilled about Gailey as a HC, but I think he's got the right offensive background to attack these 3-4 defenses.

The Bills have a lot of needs. I'd love to see them trade back and use a pick on a big TE because I'm not sure Nelson is physical and durable enough to hold up. Based on the pride Buddy Nix has in that big receiving corps he helped assemble in SD, I expect Nix to be looking for large WR's at the very least.

Gronkowski!

He is the best TE in the draft and would be a first round lock if not for back surgery. He is from Buffalo for cryin out loud... what else do you need!

PS I really like Nelsons future, but want to add Grons also.

Looking late in the draft, past Garrett Graham, Dennis Pitta, Colin Peek, and Tony Moeaki (all 4th Rounders I think), you could get one tight end in RD6 or RD7. Here's who ought to be there:

Colin Peek-----------Alabama--------at RD5#136-----Least value at that pick (-16)

Andrew Quarless----Penn State------at RD6#182----Moderate value at that pick (+1)

Nate Byham---------Pittsburgh--------at RD7#200---Most value at that pick (+2)

Given our needs, I'll predict Nate Byham--The All Big East tight end.

The numbers compare where he's picked with where he is on our Big Board.

There is no doubt in my mind that New England grabs one of the 4th Rounders, so we'll be seeing one of them twice a year.

I'd be happy with Nate Byham in the 6th or 7th too...I think Nelson pulls away during training camp and entrenches himself as our starter.

Part of the TE production is related to the OL being so weak The TE needs to at least chip the rusher or has total blocking responsibility to give the QB any time to throw at all.

Guest dog14787
If Trent Edwards turns out to be the QB we might see good production out of Shouman too, until he gets hurt. They had good chemistry in the 10 minutes they played together last year.

They do have very good chemistry, seems like if I remember correctly Edwards commented on how Shouman was becoming his go to guy once upon a time. Something every young QB in the league needs to develop properly, that big target TE Security blanket that keeps them safe and productive when plays break down.

Thanks for reminding me, just one more thing to add that went wrong for a struggling QB trying to run a no huddle DJ muzzled offense with a bunch of rookies and no protection.

Now I'm hearing someone like Jim Kelly might go 12 and 4 under the same circumstances.

Myself personally, I think Jim would suffer numerous concussions and/or broken bones, <_<

They do have very good chemistry, seems like if I remember correctly Edwards commented on how Shouman was becoming his go to guy once upon a time. Something every young QB in the league needs to develop properly, that big target TE Security blanket that keeps them safe and productive when plays break down.

Thanks for reminding me, just one more thing to add that went wrong for a struggling QB trying to run a no huddle DJ muzzled offense with a bunch of rookies and no protection.

Now I'm hearing someone like Jim Kelly might go 12 and 4 under the same circumstances.

Myself personally, I think Jim would suffer numerous concussions and/or broken bones, :nana:

It makes people (who care WAY too much about football) feel safe and secure to think one change can fix everything. Telling them that systems, offensive blocking schemes, and multiple personell changes is too much for them to comprehend and makes them nervous.