Is a franchise QB a guarantee for sucess?

I think most of you would agree that Peyton is considered "the" elite QB in the league. He has won only 1 SB win, and has struggled frequently in the playoffs. While Trent Dilfer won his only SB appearance. I'm not saying I don't want a feature QB but if you look at successful teams in the league 2 things are evident, a great Defence and a solid run game. Fix these things and it make the QB job a little less significant. So I guess my point is, we don't need to address the QB position in the draft this year as we have so many other holes to fill.

I think most of you would agree that Peyton is considered "the" elite QB in the league. He has won only 1 SB win, and has struggled frequently in the playoffs. While Trent Dilfer won his only SB appearance. I'm not saying I don't want a feature QB but if you look at successful teams in the league 2 things are evident, a great Defence and a solid run game. Fix these things and it make the QB job a little less significant. So I guess my point is, we don't need to address the QB position in the draft this year as we have so many other holes to fill.

There are at least four threads that are a variation on this theme. QB Vs. OL...etc. Let's use this one to make a definitive statement and them let this thread rest. I vote with the above. Fix the OL, DL etc, without reaching for a "franchise" QB. This team is full of holes than need fixing. The Jets are the best current example of this philosophy. Fix the damn trenches and the QB situation will work itself out.

Its possible to win without a franchise QB, but in order to do so, a team needs some other way of generating big plays and scoring points. That's hard to do on a consistent basis without a good passing attack and its why teams that are built on the model of a top defense and running game usually don't find long term success, but instead fall back into mediocrity after just a couple of seasons. In the case of the Bills, there's the whole problem of getting their defense and running game to the elite level to begin with, because they certainly aren't there right now.

In the long term, the sooner they can find a long term answer at that position, the better. They don't absolutely have to find their franchise QB in this draft, but the odds of winning are much better with a quality passing attack than without one. If you need any more evidence of that, consider how miserable the Bills have been over the last decade with one of the worst passing offenses in the NFL.

There are at least four threads that are a variation on this theme. QB Vs. OL...etc. Let's use this one to make a definitive statement and them let this thread rest. I vote with the above. Fix the OL, DL etc, without reaching for a "franchise" QB. This team is full of holes than need fixing. The Jets are the best current example of this philosophy. Fix the damn trenches and the QB situation will work itself out.

No it will not! Again for insane on this board...the Vikings had a GREAT OL, GREAT Defensive front, Best RB in the game and barely made the playoffs with T Jack at QB. Add Farve and they are a couple stupid fumbles from possibly being superbowl champs!!!

I am so sick of this fix the OL bull ****. A guy like edwards will STILL SUCK behind the best OL in the NFL! A Great QB can make the line better with his reads of the defense and his ability to get rid of the ball and lead the damn team. Look at the last 4 LT's to play in the superbowl, they were NOBODIES!!!

!@#$ sakes people, watch the !@#$ing game, it is a QB driven league! Get the god damn QB in here THEN worry about the rest. Dallas did it in the 90's then within 3 years was a superbowl winner.

3 years after getting Kelly in here, we went to 4 straight superbowls.

it is ALL about the QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No it will not! Again for insane on this board...the Vikings had a GREAT OL, GREAT Defensive front, Best RB in the game and barely made the playoffs with T Jack at QB. Add Farve and they are a couple stupid fumbles from possibly being superbowl champs!!!

I am so sick of this fix the OL bull ****. A guy like edwards will STILL SUCK behind the best OL in the NFL! A Great QB can make the line better with his reads of the defense and his ability to get rid of the ball and lead the damn team. Look at the last 4 LT's to play in the superbowl, they were NOBODIES!!!

!@#$ sakes people, watch the !@#$ing game, it is a QB driven league! Get the god damn QB in here THEN worry about the rest. Dallas did it in the 90's then within 3 years was a superbowl winner.

Jesus Beavis, calm down! The fact that the Vikes made the playoffs with T-Jack proves my point! Thanks for the perfect example. I am with you that the QB can make the difference between a playoff team and a championship team. But friend, we are really not close to being an average team. Fix the lines and the holes and look for a QB in the interim. I'd love to be a good team in the playoffs with an average QB - that means were one guy away from being special.

The Jets did everything possible to get themselves the guy they believed was the franchise QB. 1st in 2008 with the Favre trade, then in 2009 with the trade up for Sanchez. They had a veteran QB (who was a former 1st round pick), reached in the 2nd round & failed with their 2nd round "QB of the future" in 2006, traded for a 38-9 year old QB who lasted 1 season in 2008, then 3 years after reaching for the 2nd round QB, traded pick #17, a 2nd round pick & 3 players to move up 12 spots to pick 5. It is virtually impossible for the Bills to follow the Jets philosophy. The Bills would need an established veteran, fail on a 2nd round QB of the future, trade for a one year fix at QB, spend years acquiring O & D line guys then make a blockbuster trade to draft a guy they feel will be a franchise QB in 2013.

SB winning QB's the last 10 years are Brady 3 times, P. Manning 1, Roethlisberger 2, E. Manning 1, Brees 1, Dilfer 1, and Brad Johnson 1. I think that 4 of those QB's could be considered elite, but in every one of those SB's it's been the defense that has decided the game.

SB winning QB's the last 10 years are Brady 3 times, P. Manning 1, Roethlisberger 2, E. Manning 1, Brees 1, Dilfer 1, and Brad Johnson 1. I think that 4 of those QB's could be considered elite, but in every one of those SB's it's been the defense that has decided the game.

Ok. The answer is simple.

An elite/excellent QB improves your chances of winning an NFL Championship, but they almost always still need a very good defense.

An average skilled QB that manages the game well can win an NFL Championship with a great D.

Bottomline is if you can't find an elite QB, build a great team (especially defense) around what you have and you at least you have a chance. Trent or Fitz could win a SB on the right team, it is just hard to fathom b/c they are not on a team with the Bucs or Ravens SB winning Defenses.

Ok. The answer is simple.

An elite/excellent QB improves your chances of winning an NFL Championship, but they almost always still need a very good defense.

An average skilled QB that manages the game well can win an NFL Championship with a great D.

Bottomline is if you can't find an elite QB, build a great team (especially defense) around what you have and you at least you have a chance. Trent or Fitz could win a SB on the right team, it is just hard to fathom b/c they are not on a team with the Bucs or Ravens SB winning Defenses.

The only way Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick could win a Super Bowl would be the same way Rob Johnson won a Super Bowl-watching it from the bench.

I guess I could be persuaded that taking a great QB over fixing the OL would make sense IF there were going to be a

great QB prospect available. I don't know if Bradford is a great prospect, but he'll be gone before their pick anyway.

I DO NOT think that Clausen or Tebow or Lefevour or any of the other QBs in this draft are great prospects. Hence my opinion is that while it is clear that the Bills need a much better QB, there isn't one available so do what you can to shore up the rest of the team so that you can maximize the effectiveness of the QBs that you have.

Wishing and hoping that Clausen is the answer will likely lead to more pain and years of losses.

They still made the playoffs. Thanks for debunking your own "insane" (I'd say retarded) notion.

Guest dog14787
They still made the playoffs. Thanks for debunking your own "insane" (I'd say retarded) notion.

Couldn't have said it better myself,

Sure I'm a huge fan of TE's and I'm sure everyone's sick of hearing about, but if folks would just shut the F%$#K up about it so would I, good lord give it a break. Wait and see what happens, the FO doesn't give a rats arse about what we think and time will tell. I have no problem with a thread on occasion, but to have numerous threads going at the same time and still have posters that bring up Trent Edwards on threads that have nothing to do with it need their collective heads examined. :lol:

Tarkus you didn't deserve this post on your thread because I know you don't post as much as some of us and my frustration is not directed at you. However you might want to browse the topics already being discussed before you start a thread.