Its Nice to Se Some Folks Just Proved Flat-Out Wrong

Not to be contrary to the views above because I do NOT think that Buffalo is a pariah among free agents but.....out comes the news that Edwards failed physicals in Denver and Seattle. So it's not really accurate to say that Edwards CHOSE Buffalo over those two cities.

exactly...

YEP...example: shanahan stated that because of the weather, his family pretty much refused to come.

And we had less some this winter than Washington. And if that was the main factor in MS' decision, he is a d-bag. Screw that orange, rat looking b@stard! :worthy:

Not to be contrary to the views above because I do NOT think that Buffalo is a pariah among free agents but.....out comes the news that Edwards failed physicals in Denver and Seattle. So it's not really accurate to say that Edwards CHOSE Buffalo over those two cities.

Well, he's hear now. And no one wanted to go to Green Bay before Reggie White. If we start winning, players will come. For god's sake, little Manning turned down beautiful San Diego because they were a mess at the time he was drafted.

I think more than anything most top tier FA's would want a little extra to come to buffalo, but guys like davis and edwards, who were both 2nd tier players dont have that type of leverage. I'm very happy and excited that we got both of them, good job by Nix and whaley to stick to his philosophy, and not overpay for overrated players

These two signings look like the type the Steelers generally make. Use FA to pick up very solid players who can be had for less than top dollar.

Well, he's hear now. And no one wanted to go to Green Bay before Reggie White. If we start winning, players will come. For god's sake, little Manning turned down beautiful San Diego because they were a mess at the time he was drafted.

Yes, he is here now, but I'm not sure what your point is, considering the post you quoted. All BillnutinHouston was pointing out in response to the OP is that Edwards did not in fact CHOOSE Buffalo, they chose him because he failed the physicals of the 2 other teams he visited, and his former team puller their offer. He essentially had no other options. Kinda shoots down the OP's notion that folks have been proven flat out wrong. He brought up some very poor examples to try to make his case.

Yes, he is here now, but I'm not sure what your point is, considering the post you quoted. All BillnutinHouston was pointing out in response to the OP is that Edwards did not in fact CHOOSE Buffalo, they chose him because he failed the physicals of the 2 other teams he visited, and his former team puller their offer. He essentially had no other options. Kinda shoots down the OP's notion that folks have been proven flat out wrong. He brought up some very poor examples to try to make his case.

The Ravens were trying to re-sign him.

:worthy:

The problems with this team result from an inability to choose talent, not vice versa.

The last head coach sure didn't help any !!! Talk about a laid back approach !! I think this staff will get better production out of players that were here than the previous (HOE HUM) Head Coach !!

YEP...example: shanahan stated that because of the weather, his family pretty much refused to come.

Eff him then. Weather is not that bad. People act like its the North Pole; and Shanahan is from the Chicago area. Their weather is no better than Buffalo in the winter time...

Anyway, does anyone catch how during the interviews Chris Brown does with potential FA's that they always seem to mention that old Bills players they know say good things about the city and fans? I don't think Buffalo itself has a thing to do with FA signings for the most part. It's about winning and money.

In this case, the Bills were able to acquire Davis becuase of his prior affiliation with DC G. Edwards. Otherwise, he probably wasn't going to play for Buffalo.

D. Edwards signed with the Bills because he really had no other options as it turns out. He was considered to be a top 10 FA in 2010, which is a very good get for the Bills. However, Edwards is also a very risky signing because of the serious neck injury that he suffered. Two other teams wouldn't touch him as a result. He had no offers. So why did the Bills feel like they had to ante up $18M to get him?????????

FA players don't want to come to Buffalo for a lot of reasons........the weather conditions, the cheap owner, the small market, the low profile status, the perception that the organization is in turmoil, the fact that the team has not made it to the playoffs in 10 years. The biggest reason right now is that the team just has not been very good. The perception is that the FO doesn't know what it's doing, the owner won't pay for top of the line coaches and players, and the owner meddles in the every day football decisions.

The Bills can't do much about having to play in poor weather or being a small market team, but they can change how they run their team, who they hire as coaches, who they draft, and who they sign. Unlike a lot of teams, the Bills absolutely MUST draft well year after year after year or they cannot hope to compete because they won't attract the FA players that they need to win at the most critical positions until they start to win again.

And they won't start to win again (i.e. make the playoffs) until they start to draft very well on a consistent basis.

Edwards would have signed with Denver or Seattle but their doctors wouldn't pass him on his physical. The Ravens even wanted him to have more medical treatment, otherwise they weren't interested either. Beggars can't be choosers.

Not necessarily. With a neck injury, some doctors tend to be more conservative than others. There are potential legal issues in allowing someone to play with a neck injury as well. I don't think he came here just because two other teams wouldn't sign him. There are a number of other teams looking for 3-4 linemen. I think this is the result of conflicting medical opinions, and I hope the Bills' doctors are right. If they're not, we might see another Keven Everett situation.

Which is exactly why I think the Bills' doctors are right. They wouldn't have cleared his signing if they thought there was a significant chance of injury.

God, why did you write that, Stucky? Now I can't get that song out of my head.

...well, it is the Beatles, so I guess that's OK. :rolleyes:

"Maxwell Edison, majoring in medicine..."

. . . calls her on the phone: "Can I take you out to the pictures, Jo-o-o-oan?"

and a hearty helping of rats-butts to both of you for implanting the tune in my head as well -

and not just the tune - but now the recall of the referenced Maxwell Edison as a Doctor Who character

Not necessarily. With a neck injury, some doctors tend to be more conservative than others. There are potential legal issues in allowing someone to play with a neck injury as well. I don't think he came here just because two other teams wouldn't sign him. There are a number of other teams looking for 3-4 linemen. I think this is the result of conflicting medical opinions, and I hope the Bills' doctors are right. If they're not, we might see another Keven Everett situation.

Which is exactly why I think the Bills' doctors are right. They wouldn't have cleared his signing if they thought there was a significant chance of injury.

Our team doctor is also one of the most well-respected spinal injury doctors in the medical community across the country. If he cleared this guy to play, I would take his word over any other team doctor.