(OT) Alexander sucks.

ICE

Really?  Man, I thought it would be good just because Stone did it.  He's usually pretty reliable.

135286[/snapback]

I feel bad for Stone right now. He stepped away from features after "Any Given Sunday" got shelled by critics. He said it was "too hard to hear that criticism". He took almost 7 years off.

And now it appears Alexander will get WORSE reviews. It sucks to see that much talent go to waste...kinda like our team <_<

One of the most boring, and worthless movies I have ever seen. Seriously it was horrible.

135282[/snapback]

Was there ANY good parts? I was amped for this flick till the reviews came out.

At least Paramount (I think) is coming out with their version of Alexander in a year. So we have that to look forward to I guess.

I feel bad for Stone right now. He stepped away from features after "Any Given Sunday" got shelled by critics. He said it was "too hard to hear that criticism". He took almost 7 years off.

And now it appears Alexander will get WORSE reviews. It sucks to see that much talent go to waste...kinda like our team <_<

135291[/snapback]

The thing about that tgreg99, I actually liked Any Given Sunday. Was it a cinematic classic or even up to par with Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, or JFK? No. But, it was a good movie. I thought LT was surprisingly effective in it. I was expecting him to be just awful, but he did okay. They could've done without John McGinley's Jim Rome-esque character, a waste of a very talented actor. Other than that, I thought Pacino, Jamie Foxx, LL, Dennis Quaid, and even Cameron "Joker" Diaz did very well.

I wonder just how much criticism he'll take is based just on this movie or is it directed at him, like Spike Lee receives? Spike got screwed out of an Oscar (what a surprise!) for his brilliant documentary "Four Little Girls".

The thing about that tgreg99, I actually liked Any Given Sunday.  Was it a cinematic classic or even up to par with Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, or JFK?  No.  But, it was a good movie.  I thought LT was surprisingly effective in it.  I was expecting him to be just awful, but he did okay.  They could've done without John McGinley's Jim Rome-esque character, a waste of a very talented actor.  Other than that, I thought Pacino, Jamie Foxx, LL, Dennis Quaid, and even Cameron "Joker" Diaz did very well.

I wonder just how much criticism he'll take is based just on this movie or is it directed at him, like Spike Lee receives?  Spike got screwed out of an Oscar (what a surprise!) for his brilliant documentary "Four Little Girls".

135298[/snapback]

I'm with you, Rich. I really grew to enjoy Any Given Sunday. Although I don't agree with all of Stone's political views I have always enjoyed him as a film maker. That is why I was so excited to hear about Alexander...I'm still going to see it, I guess my expectations will just be dimmed a bit.

So far I think a lot of the criticism has been very personal for Stone since the issue (from what I can tell anyway) is about the historical accuracy, his meandering narrative and Alexander's sexual preference. It's almost as if they are trying to say he made Alexander bi-sexual because he is trying to promote gay rights when I don't think that is the case. But who knows. I just hope he doesn't walk away from movies again.

The thing about that tgreg99, I actually liked Any Given Sunday.  Was it a cinematic classic or even up to par with Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, or JFK?  No.  But, it was a good movie.  I thought LT was surprisingly effective in it.  I was expecting him to be just awful, but he did okay.  They could've done without John McGinley's Jim Rome-esque character, a waste of a very talented actor.  Other than that, I thought Pacino, Jamie Foxx, LL, Dennis Quaid, and even Cameron "Joker" Diaz did very well.

I wonder just how much criticism he'll take is based just on this movie or is it directed at him, like Spike Lee receives?  Spike got screwed out of an Oscar (what a surprise!) for his brilliant documentary "Four Little Girls".

135298[/snapback]

I second that, I thought Any Given Sunday was a very good film.

Anything with Colin Farrel in it will suck.

Angelina Jolie could have made me go see it, but then I heard her fake accent on the preview.

That one had "sucks" written all over it the first time I saw the preview.

Did you know that Alexander the Great was Gay. That the guy he traveled with on many conquering wars was his lover.

135407[/snapback]

Actually, he was Bi. It was the fashion of the time. Everyone was doing it. Where do you think the term "Greek Style" came from?

And, as an aside, what's with all this Alexander fascination suddenly (TV documentaries, two movies, etc)? Is it the three thousandth anniversary of the conquest of Persia or something?

Well I made the mistake of taking my two boys, 13 and 5. YES major homosexual/bisexual overtones. In fact if I remember correctly when they are young one of thier teachers tell them that lying with a man is ok blah blah blah.

It would have been tollerable IF it had only been a short scene here and there, but it was many times throughout the movie.

also, SLOW as hell. Boring. Fight scenes? Not well produced. If you have seen Gladiator or Troy you will be dissapointed.

Stone tried way to hard (with crappy writing none the less) to reproduce Braveheart and Gladiator 'pep' speaches. They sucked.

If you want to go see it do an afternoon showing and save money.

It is rare you will hear me rip a move, very rare, but this one just sucked.

Well I made the mistake of taking my two boys, 13 and 5.  YES major homosexual/bisexual overtones. In fact if I remember correctly when they are young one of thier teachers tell them that lying with a man is ok blah blah blah.

It would have been tollerable IF it had only been a short scene here and there, but it was many times throughout the movie.

also, SLOW as hell. Boring.  Fight scenes? Not well produced. If you have seen Gladiator or Troy you will be dissapointed.

Stone tried way to hard (with crappy writing none the less) to reproduce Braveheart and Gladiator 'pep' speaches. They sucked.

If you want to go see it do an afternoon showing and save money.

It is rare you will hear me rip a move, very rare, but this one just sucked.

135496[/snapback]

I tend to shy away from movies where all the guys are wearing dresses anyway. That movie had clunker written all over it just from the trailer.