Brandon Spikes

clocked at pro day at 5.02 and 5.08 which they are saying might hurt his stock to late second round or even third. If we could get a LT first, then a NT in the second and him by trading back into the second or even in the third, the draft would be a HUGE success

That is slow, he'll be lucky to go in the 3rd. Any word on Tebow from the pro day?

Half an hour ago, via @albertbreer:

Tebow finally makes his way to the field, to huge applause. Getting cheered as he jogs around to warm up. "Hero worship" isn't strong 'nuff.

Should note that it's raining there, which may have affected Spikes' time.

worse than the slow 40s was the fact that he didn't look to smooth in pass defense drills- it's kinda too bad cause I really liked how he came up and knocked the begeezus out of people but the NFL is a passing league and if you can't cover you are going to drop like a rock in the draft.

He's not a good athlete. I favor college production a lot higher than workout with shorts but for posiitions that rely a lot on physical skills (RB, LB, CB, WR), this is a big concern. He laso ducked the 40 at the combine. He's gonna be free falling. Could be a solid gamble though if he's there in the 3rd.

He's not a good athlete. I favor college production a lot higher than workout with shorts but for posiitions that rely a lot on physical skills (RB, LB, CB, WR), this is a big concern. He laso ducked the 40 at the combine. He's gonna be free falling. Could be a solid gamble though if he's there in the 3rd.

He's only free falling on mock draft and internet message boards. Spikes has never been fast, he plays smart physical football that gets him around the ball. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has watched him. I'm sure the scouts in attendance knew exactly what they were going to see.

He's only free falling on mock draft and internet message boards. Spikes has never been fast, he plays smart physical football that gets him around the ball. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has watched him. I'm sure the scouts in attendance knew exactly what they were going to see.

Perhaps you're right but that is OL slow. It's one thing to get by on instincts in college. It's a whole other thign to do it in the pros. I'd be shocked if he doesn't slip a bit.

Remember John Holicek????...if that's how you spell his name...he was slow as a Tackle...but I thought he was solid...not some outstanding hall of famer but I was sad to see him go...he could read plays...that being said, I am SURPRISED that Spikes ran so slow...he didn't look THAT slow in college...he didn't really impress me all that much either though...I'd stay away from him, there are plenty of other LB's in the draft if you're hard up for one

Remember John Holicek????...if that's how you spell his name...he was slow as a Tackle...but I thought he was solid...not some outstanding hall of famer but I was sad to see him go...he could read plays...that being said, I am SURPRISED that Spikes ran so slow...he didn't look THAT slow in college...he didn't really impress me all that much either though...I'd stay away from him, there are plenty of other LB's in the draft if you're hard up for one

My favorite "forgotten" Buffalo Bill.

Could it have been the beard??? i imagine it must have created a drag,i know in a helmet he looked fast enough to me :w00t: ,he will still be a player on sundays----pro bowler maybe not,but a good one for sure----at least in my opinion :w00t:

Which is why there were rumors of his free fall even before the combine.

clocked at pro day at 5.02 and 5.08 which they are saying might hurt his stock to late second round or even third. If we could get a LT first, then a NT in the second and him by trading back into the second or even in the third, the draft would be a HUGE success

This is awesome! Let the idiots of 40 time worship pass on him. If he ran a 4.0 forty instead of a 5.0 he'd be able to cover the 10 yards to the backfield, uninhibited, .25 seconds faster and that can make the difference between not a whole lot. Is he strong? Is he nifty? Is he smart? Is he agressive? Those things mean a lot more to me than potential .25 seconds over 10 yards.

Some people have Spikes ranked as the best run stuffing ILB in the draft. It doesn't seem he has a problem getting to the backfield too much.

If he lasts past round three then there are a lot of morons and a lot of smart people in the NFL. The morons with need will pass by him and one of the smart teams will pick him up later, hopefully Buffalo.

If the Bills have Poz, Spikes, Mitchell and Davis as ILB's this year it will be a great unit with great depth. If the Bills can stuff the run well enough to be a top 10 run stuffing team then the secondary should just feast on QB's. JMO

...Yikes...how do you lose thousands of dollars in a matter of half a second?

Right there.

Pathetic aint it?

worse than the slow 40s was the fact that he didn't look to smooth in pass defense drills- it's kinda too bad cause I really liked how he came up and knocked the begeezus out of people but the NFL is a passing league and if you can't cover you are going to drop like a rock in the draft.

PD isn't as important to Buffalo as it is to other teams. The Bills deep secondary makes it less likely that an ILB would have to be that great at PD to be effective. JMO

Agreed. Actually I just got done doing a chat with former NFL Scout, Russ Lande of SportingNews.com and he said pretty much exactly what you did. He's never been super athletic and neither him nor Rolando McClain are rare athletes. Spikes reminded him of Lofa Tatupu and going back even further Chris Spielman. He takes on blocks well and doesn't give up ground. Surprisingly he didn't seem very high on McClain, which I kind of agree with. Weaknesses he pointed out on McClain were that he actually gives up ground trying to get around blockers and tends to get engulfed by bolckers.

He thinks Spikes goes anywhere from 20-45. Said teams like the Patriots or Browns who play a big 3-4 will really like him. This guy will not last to the 3rd round which is more like a 50-75 type prospect, at least not according to this particular NFL Scout and I agree with him.

Last night I watched a replay of the Florida/Alabama game with my son just because we are going through football withdrawls....anyway Spikes does in fact look very slow in that game. If anyone has seen that game or still has it recorded let me know what you think. Also, if Rolando Mcclain doesn't turn out to be one of the three or four best players out of this draft I'll be surprised. The difference in speed, instincts and tacking ability between McClain and Spikes is great IMO.

This is awesome! Let the idiots of 40 time worship pass on him. If he ran a 4.0 forty instead of a 5.0 he'd be able to cover the 10 yards to the backfield, uninhibited, .25 seconds faster and that can make the difference between not a whole lot. Is he strong? Is he nifty? Is he smart? Is he agressive? Those things mean a lot more to me than potential .25 seconds over 10 yards.

See that math works when you're running to a stationary target. When the target is running away from you you need to account for that as well. I grant that the difference in distance covered between a 4.5 and a 5.0 is small, but even if it's less than an arm length that's the difference between a from tackle and an arm tackle, or an arm tackle and a whiff

A person who runs 40 yards in 5.0 seconds is moving at an average of 24 feet per second. A person who covers that distance in 4.5 seconds is moving at an average of 26.6 feet per second. Using that math, for every second the two players are running (Spikes and an average run of the mill RB) the RB is pulling away by 2.6 feet. That's a little under an arm length for every second they run. That is a lot. It changes the angle the player has to take in order to make the tackle which forces the LB to attack the ball less on anything not straight ahead in order to meet the RB at all. If you get an exceptionally fast back like Chris Johnson it just gets worse.

Let talk about coverage, if the LB is in coverage it's not crazy to track a player for 20 yards or more especially in a blitzing situation (that's less than half of the width of the field and remember parallel to the line is still distance to be covered). After 2 seconds of coverage the RB will be open by 5 feet. That's wide freaking open. 2.6 feet is open, 5 feet plus is insane.

Even if Spikes ran a 4.75, still a pedestrian time, all these distances would be halved and even that makes a big difference on the field between a tackle and a miss. 5+ is just too slow for a LB of any type to be on the field. With that time he's not draftable in a 7 round draft.

Toooooo mathematical lol...I understand the argument but slower LB's can still do thier job...not saying Spikes slow...but slower than the average LB...

Spikes ran the forty like a DT...Linval Joseph ran it faster and he's 330 pound...he didn't look slow when he played though...I still wouldn't draft him...