Pending Lockout in 2011 - What Happens With The Draft in 2012?

box0life

If I recall during the last lock-out the worst team the following year did not automatically pick first in the draft the next year after the lock out was lifted.

I am not positive of this, but if Buffalo goes 1-15 this coming year and earns the first pick in the draft, and then they lock out (strike) the next year, Buffalo does not automatically get the first pick in the next draft following the lock out.

Does anybody know if this is correct or am I just remembering things wrong?

We could have a terrible year and still not get the high draft pick the next year if this happens?

If I recall during the last lock-out the worst team the following year did not automatically pick first in the draft the next year after the lock out was lifted.

I am not positive of this, but if Buffalo goes 1-15 this coming year and earns the first pick in the draft, and then they lock out (strike) the next year, Buffalo does not automatically get the first pick in the next draft following the lock out.

We could have a terrible year and still not get the high draft pick the next year if this happens?

In hockey they held a full league draft lottery and did a serpentine draft.

Even if there is no football in 2011, there will still be a draft that year based on the records from 2010. I'm not sure how the draft order is decided for the year following that (2012).

if there is no CBA, there is no foundation to support the draft because it is a restraint of trade which requires voluntary consent of both parties.

If the players are not a party to a CBA, then they will argue that their services can not be restrains by a unilateral draft and they should be free to negoitate with all teams

which is why the league will probably not have a lockout in 2011 but will unilaterally implement its own new set of rules and invite the players to participate without the union's consent. The union will be pretty useless without a membership

In hockey they held a full league draft lottery and did a serpentine draft.

In the NHL they missed an entire season in 2004-05. Prior to that they had the '04 draft and the picks followed the same formula that was in the past. Since the following season was not played, they had a lottery for all the teams.

Once this season is over in the NFL there will be a draft. If the 2011-12 season is canceled then they would probably do a draft lottery of some sort. So if we finish next season 1-15 (just an example, don't think we will) then we should be picking in the top 3. The year after that if the season in canceled is anybodies guess. they probably would do a draft lottery but no one knows for sure.

Even if there is no football in 2011, there will still be a draft that year based on the records from 2010. I'm not sure how the draft order is decided for the year following that (2012).

Either they repeat the same order from 2010 or they do a lottery like the NHL did after its lockout. If they keep the 2010 order that makes tanking this year all the more tempting.

PTR

if there is no CBA, there is no foundation to support the draft because it is a restraint of trade which requires voluntary consent of both parties.

If the players are not a party to a CBA, then they will argue that their services can not be restrains by a unilateral draft and they should be free to negoitate with all teams

which is why the league will probably not have a lockout in 2011 but will unilaterally implement its own new set of rules and invite the players to participate without the union's consent. The union will be pretty useless without a membership

As of right now, and barring any action (which hasn't been hinted at so far) by the NFLPA, there will be a draft in 2011. Hence the reason teams are still trading players for 2011 picks.

If I recall during the last lock-out

There was never a lockout in the NFL. There was a strike. Street free agents and a few vets crossed the picket line and played.

As for how they handle the draft in 2012... No one knows what they will do. But I'd have a hard time justifying not going with the same order as in 2011 draft. Nothing will have changed since they didn't play.

Who cares, we're Bills fans. It'll like skipping that monthly doctors appointment to get that shot in your ass.

You are looking at this all wrong....the Bills are going to go 15-1...win the Super Bowl...and when the 2011 lockout happens, we get to be defending Super Bowl champions for 2 YEARS!!!!! :wallbash:

Interesting theory, but the first player to file that action will play in what league? There will be a draft in 2012 regardless of any lockout.

BTW, are college players today parties to the current CBA ?

Draft will be held. Probably just have a lottery or something to determine order. I do not think there will be a NFL season in 2011 unless they use replacement players. If there's a lockout though, I don't think they could do that, has to be a strike by the players. Falco twittered he is working out in case they need replacement players. Somebody should also find Todd Schlopy just in case.