POLL - How Many of us are Sabres/Hockey fans?

How big of a Sabres fan are you?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What's your stance

• I root for the Sabres just as hard, or harder than, the Bills
    • I root for the Sabres, but not as much as the Bills
    • I'll follow the Sabres in the playoffs, but I'm not really invested at all
    • I'm a hockey fan, but for a different team than the Sabres
    • I don't follow hockey

I'm a born and raised Californian. I Didn't grow up playing hockey and know very little about it. One thing I do know is it's great to watch live and not so great on TV. We have a minor league team in town that draws real well and I love going to games.

Habs are on a nice winning streak, no?

Yes. But they're a bad team. Not only are they bad but I tune into sports talk radio about once a week (since that's all I have the patience for) and the level of garbage is mind boggling.

I unfortunately because of school/work don't have much time to watch games though but I think this team is screwed for a long time down to the road.

Yes. But they're a bad team. Not only are they bad but I tune into sports talk radio about once a week (since that's all I have the patience for) and the level of garbage is mind boggling.

I unfortunately because of school/work don't have much time to watch games though but I think this team is screwed for a long time down to the road.

IMO, in hockey, anybody can win or has a chance. Almost like baseball. The season is so long, then the playoffs are a different thing. One team built for the season, may not do well in the playoffs.. And vice-versa. Then mix in what a hot goalie can do and some flukey bounces... Not quite as bad as soccer (where a low talent team can overide an opponent's superior talent by trapping them on down to their level).

IMO, long seasons should BE the playoffs.

See avatar. However I do like the Sabres being from the general area and went too several games. I actually went to more Leaf games because the family business had two sets of season tix. When I went to Leaf games I cheered against them. No matter who played them.

See avatar. However I do like the Sabres being from the general area and went too several games. I actually went to more Leaf games because the family business had two sets of season tix. When I went to Leaf games I cheered against them. No matter who played them.

I have to ask how is it SJ is so good dunring the regular season, then gets bounced in rd 1 of the playoffs? What happens? Do they change their style of play?

I have to ask how is it SJ is so good dunring the regular season, then gets bounced in rd 1 of the playoffs? What happens? Do they change their style of play?

It is because they are built for an 82 game season... Not a 7 game series against the same team. Even worse (and just like baseball in the WC round) when there was a 5 game series to open the playoffs. Notice how many wild cards in baseball went on to win or get into the WS since the the WC was adopted. Same thing in hockey... There is usually one big upset in the playoffs any year. Look at Carolina... I sure hope they don't get in (they may be too far off and killed themselves early on)... If they do, they surely are able to make noise (see last year). Heck, put the Leafs or Isles in and they may be dangerous. IMO, the only team I can safely say couldn't pull off a first round upset is this years Oilers... But heck, who knows?

I'm not really sure. Sometimes I think it's coaching. Lack of a real system. Red Wings for example, like to close off space quickly. No time to make decisions. Sharks have no discernible system I can see. Other times I think its a lack of grit. They addressed this over the off season aquiring Manny Mallholtra, Scott Nichol and Jed Ortmyer. Really good role players and another upside of both Manny and Nichol is that they are consistently in the top 3 face off percentage of the league. So hopefully, the reason they have failed in the playoffs is the grit factor.

The rule changes after the strike - or was it a lockout? - irked me. So I gave up watching or caring about NHL hockey. :wallbash:

Cincy, as one who kind of liked the rule changes, let me advise you, other than the shootout thing, the game is pretty much back to where it was, before the lockout... it is getting to back to that borderline dull/unwatchable level, at least during the regular season.

For me, the Bills will always be #1 in my sports hierarchy, with the Sabres close behind, and the Celtics a little further down at #3. Football and hockey are the two sports that I can enjoy, no matter who is playing... I love the NBA playoffs, but, rarely find myself watching regular season games, unless it is a heavyweight matchup, or the Celtics.

Growing up in Buffalo, I had season tickets for the Bills from 1978-1987 (picked a great time to give them up huh?) as well as a half season ticket to the Sabres. I never missed either team, and, they were likely, equals in my estimation. I moved from Buffalo in 1988, to New York City. This was right before the days of the mega-sports bars, only a few showed all of the NFL games. I hate to admit it, but other than a few games here or there that were on tv in the NY area, I experienced the entire Bills 1988 regular season, on video tapes my sister would send me, every Wednesday. Following the Sabres was far more difficult. I would go see them if they were in town vs the Rangers or Devils, but saw very few Sabres games. In fact, from the 1988-89 season, through the 1998-1999 seasons, I saw little of the Sabres, other than the odd game that was on regular tv/cable, and playoff games. I pretty much missed out on the whole Pat Lafontaine era....my interest in hockey diminished some, because of it.

That changed some, in the 2000 season, after the Sabres last finals appearence (which I was riveted by, sitting in the middle of Texas, in 90 degree weather, all by my lonesome). The advent of the Center ICE package on cable was awesome! I have gotten it every year, except this season, since. I didn't lose interest this year, just lost my job, and though I could afford it, I thought it was a little frivolous at the time...luckily, between the free Center Ice previews, odd on-line game streams, and the fact that VS loves the Sabres, I feel like I have still been able to follow the Sabres pretty well this season, even without the CI package...

I have only missed one Bills game from 1989-present, so that has not been a problem. It was the 1989 game, vs the Colts, where Kelly called out House Ballard, for letting him get injured...the birth of the "bickering Bills"...I have seen it since....

Actually yes, but with cheese curds...

Yet, I like french fries and malt vinegar better!

What does that make me? :sick::blink:

You're a CURD LOVER.... OY VEY!!!!! :wallbash:

Cheese curd.... terrible name, but so dern good!!!!

I was known as Vinegar guy to the waitresses at Louies Texas Hots right next to the stadium. Overload the Viegar on those fries!!!!