Interesting point by Colin Cowherd

ACor58

Cowherd said that the lack of free agent signings is a good indication that the owners believe a lockout is realistic or likely. Doesn't that view support your link?

Also, :devil: to the OP. I heard that segment on his show today and was going to bring it up as well. I found Keith Bullock's interview very interesting. Bullock seemed to be in agreement with Cowherd and made it seem like everyone around the league is bracing for a lockout.

The original post said strike, not lockout. If that's not what Cowherd actually said, I'll mock ACor instead and rescind my criticism of CC.

This time.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original post said strike, not lockout. If that's not what Cowherd actually said, I'll mock ACor instead and rescind my criticism of CC.

This time.

Sorry I didn't pick up on the wording. :devil: I don't recall exactly what Cowturd said, but like most fans I think I just hear work stoppage whenever this garbage comes up.

I side with the owners as well, even though they brought this on themselves with that last CBA. But the players will be absolute fools if they allow a lockout to happen.

I disagree in that in a battle between the players and the owners, I side with us fans.

If the players win we fans do get screwed as the team owners raise ticket and other prices so they can pay the huge salaries and also rake in the profits they are use to making.

However, if the team owners win I am under no illusion (as you may well be but it is hard to tell) I am also quite confident they will raise prices as high as they can but keep more money if the break the players in a fight.

I think both the owners and the players are fools if they decide to fight and kill the game while they go mano a mano.

I do not think that either the owners or the players are "right" as far as this one goes but I am pretty sure we fans will be the ones who are victims in this dispute.

Sorry I didn't pick up on the wording. :devil: I don't recall exactly what Cowturd said, but like most fans I think I just hear work stoppage whenever this garbage comes up.

Thank you. Strike - Lockout - workstoppage - all the same crap to me - NO FOOTBALL

I disagree in that in a battle between the players and the owners, I side with us fans.

If the players win we fans do get screwed as the team owners raise ticket and other prices so they can pay the huge salaries and also rake in the profits they are use to making.

However, if the team owners win I am under no illusion (as you may well be but it is hard to tell) I am also quite confident they will raise prices as high as they can but keep more money if the break the players in a fight.

I think both the owners and the players are fools if they decide to fight and kill the game while they go mano a mano.

I do not think that either the owners or the players are "right" as far as this one goes but I am pretty sure we fans will be the ones who are victims in this dispute.

If the owners get their way, they have little footing on which to stand if they claim they have to give more money to players. And the fans can show their disapproval by refusing to go to games, getting DTV, or buying merchandise.

Thank you. Strike - Lockout - workstoppage - all the same crap to me - NO FOOTBALL

Agreed, same end result. Just different people to blame.

Funny how people have differing opinions on sports radio personalities.

I can't stand listening to Stephen A. Smith, but a friend of mine listens to him every day.

For me...Cowherd is currnently hands down the best in the business.

I may have to block you for admitting that you actually like Cowturd. That shows a serious lapse in judgement. The guy is no more than a blowhard idiot. I dont think he's ever had an original thought enter that thick little skull of his.

Then again, anyone looks good compared to screamin A smith.

I am not his biggest fan but he does, on occassion, make some good points.

Cowhered believes that lack of spending in free agency and player movement is a strong indication that the owners believe that there will be a strike in 2011.

Both sides are foolish - they are going to kill the golden goose.

Just to clarify... it would be a lockout not a strike.

There is a big difference even though the result-no football- is the same.

Just think about what lockout/strike Armageddon does to to the college game. Next spring suddenly we have kids trying to be 5th year seniors, the two year kids flunking out because they were going to declare for the NFL are screwed, (LOL...maybe at a few schools that don't offer basket weaving in the summer term) For the rest of us Joe Q Fan gets a better college product until some side caves. At least thats a positive. :devil:

...As for the rest of this subject, I agree the FA's are mediocre because of the change in rules.

...I hooked back up with The Dan Patrick Show when he came back online and DirecTV.

...Just wanted to stay on subject!

Just think about what lockout/strike Armageddon does to to the college game. Next spring suddenly we have kids trying to be 5th year seniors, the two year kids flunking out because they were going to declare for the NFL are screwed, (LOL...maybe at a few schools that don't offer basket weaving in the summer term) For the rest of us Joe Q Fan gets a better college product until some side caves. At least thats a positive. :devil:

...As for the rest of this subject, I agree the FA's are mediocre because of the change in rules.

...I hooked back up with The Dan Patrick Show when he came back online and DirecTV.

...Just wanted to stay on subject!

Even if there's a lockout next year, the college draft will still be held next April. But you're right that everyone who can will probably return to college, except for the seniors who can't get another year of eligibility. It should be one of the worst drafts in NFL history. And whether those drafted get contracts is something I don't know, and if I had to guess, I'd say they won't.

50-55% of 8 billion dollars is more than enough for the players union to live on. I am also big on putting not only a rookie cap in place, but a position cap as well and have it be a fixed cap.

I am all for a rookie cap, they shouldn't make more than establshed veterans based on Saturdays and potential. Not sure about the position cap though.

Cowherd...how did he whine this exactly, and how many times did he make that annoying "slurping" sound whle gathering his spit for a good swallow. I am sure that he just bashed all involved and didn't actually take a side.

Cowherd is the one guy that is unlistenable to me. I would be better off sitting through a Shlopp and Bullfrog marathon. He is the one person that I would actually like punching in his !@#$ing head.

Cowherd never noticed him to busy drowing over his sports nation side kick!! :devil:

Nah this one time I go with the owners. Players salaries have gotten out of hand. That is why newer, bigger, higher priced stadiums are being created. They need the money to pay the players and be profitable.

50-55% of 8 billion dollars is more than enough for the players union to live on. I am also big on putting not only a rookie cap in place, but a position cap as well and have it be a fixed cap.

Really? A fixed cap? Think about francs and lira. Some day it could cost a thousand for a loaf of bread. Rookie cap = good. A position cap or a fixed cap = bad.

Nah this one time I go with the owners. Players salaries have gotten out of hand. That is why newer, bigger, higher priced stadiums are being created. They need the money to pay the players and be profitable.

I don't know.

On the one hand, the players are the ones literally placing their lives on the line. They are 1 play away from a wheelchair. Football is entertainment. High dollar entertainment. Just like movies. For all of the griping about players contracts this and that, I never, NEVER hear anyone ever complain over the $20 million so-and-so makes for a movie. 1 stinking movie.

Now, a movie is spread out across a much bigger market (domestic, foreign, merchandise, and DVD's), but when was the last time an actor put his/her life on the line and took the constant physical pounding that is professional football?

But on the other hand, how much do tickets cost to go to an event? How much does it cost to buy a jersey, or a beer at the stadium? Sports have gotten out of hand, period. How many hundreds of dollars do I have to pay for a jersey of some player that will most likely be gone in 4 seasons? How much are they charging me for a pretzel? A beer? Parking? A ticket for a seat where I can atleast see the play on the field?

I really believe that both sides could use a little cost control and trimming so that an average family could once again attend (and enjoy) a game. To lose sight of this is to lose sight of what really drives our sports mania.

I agree. The owners have literally 1 Billion dollar investments in these teams. They expect a return on that investment, and when the sum of money is that high it better be a damn high return. Add in the stadium costs and the fact most teams rely on taxpayer money to maintain them, I say owners and tax payers get screwed. Give the owner more of the profit and make them maintain their own dang stadiums and give the taxpayers back their money. With the profit the NFL turns, hell should be freezing over before local governments give them a handout.

Also if owner got more of the tv money, they could theoretically lower ticket prices and give the game back to the fans. Its not a problem in Buffalo, but it is in many cities. Maybe that is something the league should consider

It will be a lockout and it is virtually guaranteed to occur. RW may have been a horrible owner for the Bills but he has been good for the NFL. His leadership on AFL/NFL merger, revenue sharing and the TV contracts are what made him a legit HOF member. It's the new owners like Snyder, Jones, and Kraft that think they can turn their team into the Yankess and win all the time by not sharing money. Without revenue sharing the NFL will become as bad as baseball.

Revenue sharing and not a cap is the key to the CBA. The union is right in that the problem right now is between the owners. They won't be able to come to an agreement amongst themselves and therefore there will be no CBA and no football in 2011.

Obama should step in and negotiate a settlement! It will be better for his legacy than health care reform.

There will not be a CBA in 2011- but there will be football.

The owners will unilaterally implement new rules and invite the players to play under them.

The union is a joke and will not be able to control enough of its members from wanting and /or needing to play.

Ralph will be ready to hire scabs to save even more money than he will in 2010

Even if there's a lockout next year, the college draft will still be held next April. But you're right that everyone who can will probably return to college, except for the seniors who can't get another year of eligibility. It should be one of the worst drafts in NFL history. And whether those drafted get contracts is something I don't know, and if I had to guess, I'd say they won't.

without a CBA, there is no foundation to support a draft.

expect the union, or its decertified members, to sue to stop the draft claiming restraint of trade