Schobel update -- still undecided.

update from rotoworld:

Bills OLB Aaron Schobel revealed that he underwent a scope on his elbow three weeks ago.

Schobel insists he's still not ready to make a decision on retirement, but he confirmed that he wants to stay in Buffalo if he plays. Schobel is also willing to wait on his $2 million guaranteed roster bonus. Optimistic Bills fans will note that Schobel may have bypassed on the scope if he wasn't leaning toward another season.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade him to Houston

"I want to play in Buffalo if I'm going to play" Aaron Schobel.

He also stated that if he shows up for the physical it means he is going to play. Sounds like the guy isn't all about money when you consider the fact that if he passes the physical the money is his regardless of whether he plays or not.

I bet he plays. I truly believe that he doesn't really know himself right now, and could even be leaning toward retirement. But as soon as the reality hits him that this will be it, and he's no longer doing the one thing he's devoted everything to most of his life, he will simply to decide to give it at least one more shot. It's almost impossible for any of these guys to give it up before they are forced to give it up. When they still got a fair enough amount in the tank, and Schobel definitely still does. And it's surely not just about the money. It's about the money -- and the competition -- and the adrenaline -- and the outlet for your energy/frustration -- and the teammates -- and the cheering -- and the testing yourself -- and the sheer love of the game. Hell, I have the love of the game and I can't even play it.

I bet he plays. I truly believe that he doesn't really know himself right now, and could even be leaning toward retirement. But as soon as the reality hits him that this will be it, and he's no longer doing the one thing he's devoted everything to most of his life, he will simply to decide to give it at least one more shot. It's almost impossible for any of these guys to give it up before they are forced to give it up. When they still got a fair enough amount in the tank, and Schobel definitely still does. And it's surely not just about the money. It's about the money -- and the competition -- and the adrenaline -- and the outlet for your energy/frustration -- and the teammates -- and the cheering -- and the testing yourself -- and the sheer love of the game. Hell, I have the love of the game and I can't even play it.

hey KFBD, how you been?

i agree to a certain degree. the thing with Schobel is that he marches to his own drum and lives in his own bubble.

when i spoke to him before heading to vancouver, he had no idea the Winter Olympics were even happening, never mind where.

the one thing that's inspiring him to come back is his performance last year. he, to a degree, surprised himself by playing as well as he did. he has often said he doesn't want to play past his time, and there was a fear entering last year that he had lost more than a step.

he is a family man, and keen on developing that relationship further on a year-round basis. i do think, he also enjoys being around the guys in the room.

all that said, i think the fact that he's waited this long, means he'll come back. the way he talked last september, he was all but one and done.

jw

he is a family man, and keen on developing that relationship further on a year-round basis. i do think, he also enjoys being around the guys in the room.

all that said, i think the fact that he's waited this long, means he'll come back. the way he talked last september, he was all but one and done.

jw

Hey J-Dub,

Just wondering if you have gleaned anything from your interactions with Aaron about why he would refuse a deal to Houston. It seems to make a lot of sense if his main reason for considering retirement is spending time with his family year-round, rather than frustration generally with the game.

Hey J-Dub,

Just wondering if you have gleaned anything from your interactions with Aaron about why he would refuse a deal to Houston. It seems to make a lot of sense if his main reason for considering retirement is spending time with his family year-round, rather than frustration generally with the game.

things can change, but at this point he's content to make it Buffalo or retirement. i don't think he'd want to go through the hassle of making a trade demand. and i think he's aware that the bills have a place for him on their roster if he wants to come back. i also think there's a sense of loyalty.

of course, the texans would also have to want him.

as i've noted, he marches to his own beat.

jw

Schobel haters on this board just might be the biggest morons on TBD- and that bar is pretty high

:D Too true.

Hey J-Dub,

He's a loyal Bills player!! Just another reason to love the guy!! ;)

I post all of the pro bowlers stats against his and I bet some people will come up with some excuse about he was lucky on a lot of his stats. :blink: Pushing the facts in some peoples faces doesn't help much.

So, if Schobel does retire, we need to acquire a starting DE, WR, and RT along with a slot WR, to just get back up to last year's talent level, right?

Agreed with everything except slot WR...not like Josh Reed's 291 yards are going to be too difficult to replace...

gotta write some more, can't find a link immediately.

jw

He just needs to go!!!! We will never go anywhere with him on the team. He is a good situational pass rusher at best and costs too much money!!!! It is too late to move him to OLB . Move on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!