Why are We Looking at Players from Losing Teams

Wade Smith from Kansas City and now Green from Oakland. These are average players that even losing teams don't want. It is pretty sad that we are looking at these types of players. Looks like Kansas City and Oakland want to get better so they are dumping these players. Are the Bills that desperate that they are looking at players that most teams don't want.

My opinion is that that they overpaid for a 34 year RT (Green). Why did we sign this guy for three years at the age of 34 years old at 3 million per year for a guy that is below average. Sounds like a desperation signing to me just to make it look like they are being active in free agency. Based on his past history, I don't see this guy improving this offensive line if he is the starter.

I thought we were going to improve this line so Trent Edwards can actually throw the ball before he ends up on his can.

Sorry for being so pessimistic, but I haven't had any positive news out of the bills for so long that it's just getting real old looking at the inept moves this front office makes.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wade Smith from Kansas City and now Green from Oakland. These are average players that even losing teams don't want. It is pretty sad that we are looking at these types of players. Looks like Kansas City and Oakland want to get better so they are dumping these players. Are the Bills that desperate that they are looking at players that most teams don't want.

My opinion is that that they overpaid for a 34 year RT (Green). Why did we sign this guy for three years at the age of 34 years old at 3 million per year for a guy that is below average. Sounds like a desperation signing to me just to make it look like they are being active in free agency. Based on his past history, I don't see this guy improving this offensive line if he is the starter.

I thought we were going to improve this line so Trent Edwards can actually throw the ball before he ends up on his can.

Sorry for being so pessimistic, but I haven't had any positive news out of the bills for so long that it's just getting real old looking at the inept moves this front office makes.

Apparently our strategy is to pick up guys who are too crappy to play on the other crappy teams. We'll add them to our existing crappy players. Then they can all have a big craptastic battle royale in training came and see which of them stinks the least.

You should read the the Team Board for the Oakland Raiders on ESPN.com. The Oakland fans are ecstatic that Cornell Green is gone. He was a drive killing machine with his constant illegal procedure penalties. He was the worst starting lineman on one of the worst offensive lines in the league. And yet we overpaid for this chump.

Unbelievable.

People complain either way. If we grab people from the colts, pats*, and steelers people say "Are you guys nuts? If bellichick is getting rid of him, there HAS to be something wrong with him. Pats* only cut bad players! stay away!"

And then if we grab people from the raiders or chiefs, people complain that they are from losing teams.

I mean, there aren't many options out there. And we do grab players from winning teams. And that doesn't always work out. I am not a huge mitchell hater like a lot of people here, but he came from a superbowl team and he isn't exactly doing anything great here.

And just because the team played bad, doesn't mean the player played bad. Same goes that just because a team played well doesn't mean the player played well. People have to look at the player and stop complaining about the team they are coming from. We are looking at the player, not the team.

i think if you step back from the edge of the cliff, put the bottle of pills back in the medicine chest, and reconsider the needs of this team in total, you may find solace.

nix and crew are going down the path they said they were going to follow. they are looking to pick certain players up at a salary they feel they can live with. perhaps, as professional football people, they feel that Green will work well in the system Gailey wants to implement, and may be better in that system than he was in Oakland. Or, maybe they feel that he's the best guy available and affordable to fit one of several needs they have identified.

it's easy to knock free agent signings, easy to critique when they don't sign someone right off the rip, or sign the guy that someone wrote about as sucky. Mike Gandy's sucky days on the bills are long gone, and he has had a shot at Super Bowl hardware the last few years.

And as for the inept moves the front office makes, this front office has made only one thus far, two if you assume that signing no one in days 1-3 was a bad move.

I guess what I'm saying is---at least give these guys a chance to fail before you jump all over them. No downs have been played yet---and they picked up a team in turmoil.

Apparently our strategy is to pick up guys who are too crappy to play on the other crappy teams. We'll add them to our existing crappy players. Then they can all have a big craptastic battle royale in training came and see which of them stinks the least.

This post pretty much sums up the Bills management philosophy over the last umpteen years.

Signing castoffs from perennial losers like the Lions,Raiders and Chiefs,etc. is not going to turn the Bills into a Super Bowl contender?

The people who continuously defend this organization for this horrific mismanagement deserve what they get. You can read all the various posts on this board about how the fans are so happy with the way Gailey and Nix are handling the Bills so far.

Yikes!

It has been so long since the Bills were relevant in the league that people have forgotten (or never knew) what a quality organization looks like. Some people are under the illusion that the Bills are on the right track. It looks like to me that they are on the same track and only some of the names have changed.

It has come to the point now where ANY signing is viewed as a positive move regardless of the quality. Yikes! again.

What a dumb thread title. So, according to your thread title, if the Bills let Jarius Byrd go, no team should pick him up because the Bills are a losing team, right? Or, if Levitrie was available, teams should take a pass because Buffalo is a losing team. What a dumb, dumb, dumb argument you make. Good players are available on both winning and losing teams. Winning teams probably have a few more of them, but beyond that, your argument is senseless.

teams with .500 or below records make up over 56% of all teams/players....so why would we limit our search to the minority of players available???

and there's no reason to limit yourself to the losers either, unless........that's all you can get

This post pretty much sums up the Bills management philosophy over the last umpteen years.

Signing castoffs from perennial losers like the Lions,Raiders and Chiefs,etc. is not going to turn the Bills into a Super Bowl contender?

The people who continuously defend this organization for this horrific mismanagement deserve what they get. You can read all the various posts on this board about how the fans are so happy with the way Gailey and Nix are handling the Bills so far.

Yikes!

It has been so long since the Bills were relevant in the league that people have forgotten (or never knew) what a quality organization looks like. Some people are under the illusion that the Bills are on the right track. It looks like to me that they are on the same track and only some of the names have changed.

It has come to the point now where ANY signing is viewed as a positive move regardless of the quality. Yikes! again.

I guess based on everyone's thinking that you can't get good players from crappy teams, the Saints were stupid for getting Greer. The Bills suck and didn't bring him back. Why get him. Why should the Pats look at Reed? He was on a crappy Bills team.

Wow, you guys have no clue do you?

So let me ask, does this team have ANY talent at all? Well from the whining and bitching you guys do when we lose one of our own FA's I guess we do.

Well the Bills suck, so why aren't you guys saying anything about X team getting a player from us a 'crappy team'? Oh wait, you mean that since the TEAM sucks that doesn't mean every single player on that team sucks? NO WAY!!!

'But but but....the Raiders FANS said this guy sucks'. If anyone in the world is actually listening to what any Raider fan says, you are a moron. that org is WAY worse than ours.

Wow, you guys have no clue do you?

So let me ask, does this team have ANY talent at all? Well from the whining and bitching you guys do when we lose one of our own FA's I guess we do.

Well the Bills suck, so why aren't you guys saying anything about X team getting a player from us a 'crappy team'? Oh wait, you mean that since the TEAM sucks that doesn't mean every single player on that team sucks? NO WAY!!!

'But but but....the Raiders FANS said this guy sucks'. If anyone in the world is actually listening to what any Raider fan says, you are a moron. that org is WAY worse than ours.

Exactly the correct point.

"good teams" have been known to sign our "cast offs"...Greer, Aiken, etc...how does that fit into this assessment that nobody in their right mind would sign players from a bad team?

This is insufficient, NG. I'm used to you providing a straight line, that I can hit out of the park. :thumbsup:

I guess based on everyone's thinking that you can't get good players from crappy teams, the Saints were stupid for getting Greer. The Bills suck and didn't bring him back. Why get him. Why should the Pats look at Reed? He was on a crappy Bills team.

the good teams have the luxury of looking at role players to add to their established nucleus and some of them wash out. no big deal if you are good to start with. It is a big deal if you're trying to rebuild with little foundation. these players haven't made the bad team they're coming from winners. are they likely to do that for the Bills? But, they might make a good team better. less likely, they make a bad team a bit better but overall: the rich get richer, the bills get poorer.