Colts dump starting guard Ryan Lilja

bobcat

In the last 12 months we've allocated more of our resources to the interior of the OLine than to any other area of the team. And now you guys want to spend a bunch of money on another guard?

Nooooooooooo..........

bad fans.....

bad..

Can't focus on what you've put in the pot, you have to look at what's in your hand and right now we have 1 good interior lineman who we can count on for the season. Bringing on some help, especially if it can be had at a reasonable price and without having to spend a draft pick, makes good sense.

Can't focus on what you've put in the pot, you have to look at what's in your hand and right now we have 1 good interior lineman who we can count on for the season. Bringing on some help, especially if it can be had at a reasonable price and without having to spend a draft pick, makes good sense.

Between Levitre, Hangartner and Simmons we're respectable at the interior and that's not even counting on Wood. If he simply recovers on schedule it's one of only a few places on the team where we could actually be good. Instead of wasting limited resources on overstocking a solid shelf I'd rather see the Bills improve more important areas of the team to make them potentially "good" as well.

Between Levitre, Hangartner and Simmons we're respectable at the interior and that's not even counting on Wood. If he simply recovers on schedule it's one of only a few places on the team where we could actually be good. Instead of wasting limited resources on overstocking a solid shelf I'd rather see the Bills improve more important areas of the team to make them potentially "good" as well.

If Simmons is up to form I can go along with that. Does anyone know his status? We could still use some depth in case the injuries start mounting again so we're not calling up guys on the couch.

Hangartner has a great head for the game but I've seen him get plowed over and breezed by too many times to feel confident with him at C. When Wood comes back I'd like him to take over for him.

I was wondering about Kendall Simmons as well. I didn't focus on his play while he was healthy last season so I don't know if he played well. I'd like to see the Bills contact him and sign him if he's healthy.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm friends with his cousin and might be able to score tickets to Bills games. :thumbsup:

Worst in the NFL? Well NFL.com says we were 28th as for as offensive line play and that is with all the injuries. Now I am not a math major but 28th out of 32 isn't the 'worst', I am pretty sure.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go

Look again DarthICE, that isn't arranged in order of "offensive line play". It's arranged, you'll discover, by sacks. And if we hadn't had Trent throwing the ball to the safety valve almost before he stopped his backpedal, we'd have had a lot more sacks than we did.

There's a lot more to line play than sacks. If you want to figure out which line is ranked the lowest, try adding up the total ranking numbers of each line player on profootballfocus.com by (the number of games each played divided by 16). I'm betting that if anyone is worse than the Bills, it's maybe one team and more likely none. Most likely none, because we had the single worst tackle (and per game the worst OL) in the league in Bell and the worst center in Hangartner. I'm betting we are simply the worst, but don't care enough about the difference between 32nd and maybe 31st or at best 30th to bother doing the calculations.

We were horrible.

Exactly.

What exactly is it we have to lose? The dude's a free agent.

At guard we have Levitre (who could be used at T if need be unless you guys are sold on Cornell Green)

Wood is a ? and would better serve us at C which would leave an opening at G. I'm not putting too much stock in Simmons.

How about we take a position of semi-strengh and make it a position of real strength w/ some depth (and by depth I mean Hangartner and Simmons)?

Wood and Levitre. Both with excellent futures.

agreed that they SHOULD both have excellent futures. but 1. injuries happen (ask Wood) and 2. we dont know how well Wood is going to come back from have his leg devastated. I'm very optimistic, but I also don't think the FO should assume he will. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Plus we need depth.

agreed with Simon that Levitre, Hangartner, Simmons and Wood are "respectable". But that is 4 players for 3 starting postions and 1 backup. When one of the starters goes down week 3 with an injury, then what do we do?

i also agree that tackle is a bigger need, but Guard is definitely a need. heck, almost EVERY position is in need of a new player or back-up.

it's not that I want Lilja in particular. Im just saying let's keep an open mind when it comes to available free agents and their positions.

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 62 | Key

Comment: Lilja is a marginally sized guard who missed the 2008 season, his fifth, as he was placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list. He has had problems with his right knee. Lilja has good initial quickness and has adequate agility and body control but is a bit of a waist bender. He has to work to keep his pad level down and will struggle to leverage his blocks and get much push at the line of scrimmage. He is a smart blocker who is aware in pass protection and picks up games like stunts and twists and takes good angles to get to the second level.

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 58 | Key

Comment: Green is a 10-year veteran who had little starting experience until he arrived in Oakland two years ago. He started every game in 2008 and has good size and strength for the RT position. He has adequate balance and body control in passing situations. He lacks ideal foot quickness when matched up with speed rushers, but shows good hand use and can push defenders past the pocket once he opens his hips. He has improved his awareness and reactions to stunts. In the run game, he comes off the ball with adequate pad level. He will get overextended at times and has trouble recovering once he gets his weight forward. He does a good job as a positional blocker and can sustain contact with wide hand placement.

Both are decent backups/spot starters.

it's not that I want Lilja in particular. Im just saying let's keep an open mind when it comes to available free agents and their positions.

I absolutely agree. Bill Parcells once said that for every starter you have on your O-Line, you must have a competent backup at each position.

Not 1 backup guard or 1 backup tackle for your entire team (like the Bills tend to do), but one backup LT, LG, C, RG and RT.

To play the devil's advocate here, let's assume Wood can make it back this year and start. With Incognito gone and Simmons a UFA, we don't have any competent backup at either guard spot. So yes, I feel like this is still a huge need.

I honestly hope the Bills sign 1 more FA Guard and 1 more FA tackle with some starting experience. Then when the draft rolls around, take a OT early (1st or 2nd round) and a late round Guard and Center prospect and let training camp sort them out. Only then would I feel comfortable with the depth on the O-Line.