Jake Delhomme released any takers?

bkc

Panthers bid farewell to Delhomme

Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2010 10:13 PM ET

After a horrendous performance in the 2008 divisional playoffs followed by an even more horrendous performance in the 2009 season, plenty of media types were proclaiming (we won't name names -- not because we've decided not to be prickish but because we can't recall who they were, specifically) that quarterback Jake Delhomme definitely would be back.

We didn't buy it.

And we're glad we didn't.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the Panthers will soon cut Delhomme.

His tenure in Carolina ends with a whimper, via a career-low passer rating of 59.4.

He'll possibly land elsewhere as a backup, maybe with the Saints, who play in his home state.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Panthers bid farewell to Delhomme

Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2010 10:13 PM ET

After a horrendous performance in the 2008 divisional playoffs followed by an even more horrendous performance in the 2009 season, plenty of media types were proclaiming (we won't name names -- not because we've decided not to be prickish but because we can't recall who they were, specifically) that quarterback Jake Delhomme definitely would be back.

We didn't buy it.

And we're glad we didn't.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the Panthers will soon cut Delhomme.

His tenure in Carolina ends with a whimper, via a career-low passer rating of 59.4.

He'll possibly land elsewhere as a backup, maybe with the Saints, who play in his home state.

this doesnt surprise me. he was one of the worst qbs over the last few years.

The positives in bringing him in versus negatives b/c it is always good to add to your talent and experience and he brings in both.

1: everybody wants a veteran brought in as a stop gap (check)

2: experience (check)

3: shouldnt require a large salary

4: team player (check)

Negatives or question marks (to bring him in):

1: arm strength

2: durability

3: decision making (his should be better than what Bills fans have seen lately)

(should come down to an invititation to interview and a physical, if the Bills deem him to be a short term asset to sign)

I just got the news that Jake Delhomme just got released by the Panthers and I went to the Charlotte newspaper site and they said it was a surprise move.

If there was ever a guy like Flutie, it's Jake Delhomme. I've been watching Panther games for a few years now and Jake is the real deal. Man, can he throw the long ball. He had some great years for Carolina and John Fox loves the guy. Besides the Superbowl, the Panthers also went to two NFC Championship games. A lot of people forget that.

I've read some other posts that Jake lost his arm strength and accuracy since his Tommy John surgery, but I don't think that's entirely the case. The Panthers got real conservative with the game plan when Jake returned from surgery and he didn't throw the ball that much when the Panthers went 12-4. Then he had a terrible playoff game and everyone turned on him. He lost his confidence and had some pretty bad games the following year.

But, like Kurt Warner, if a coach will let Jake do his thing again, he can lead a team to the playoffs and he can be successful again in the passing game.

I really love this guy like Flutie and I'd hate to see him retire. Kurt Warner and Delhomme have kept me excited about the NFL the past few years and now one is gone and the other needs a new team.

How about it Buffalo? Need a Delhomme. Keep an open mind. I'd take him in Denver in a second.

I just got the news that Jake Delhomme just got released by the Panthers and I went to the Charlotte newspaper site and they said it was a surprise move.

If there was ever a guy like Flutie, it's Jake Delhomme. I've been watching Panther games for a few years now and Jake is the real deal. Man, can he throw the long ball. He had some great years for Carolina and John Fox loves the guy. Besides the Superbowl, the Panthers also went to two NFC Championship games. A lot of people forget that.

I've read some other posts that Jake lost his arm strength and accuracy since his Tommy John surgery, but I don't think that's entirely the case. The Panthers got real conservative with the game plan when Jake returned from surgery and he didn't throw the ball that much when the Panthers went 12-4. Then he had a terrible playoff game and everyone turned on him. He lost his confidence and had some pretty bad games the following year.

But, like Kurt Warner, if a coach will let Jake do his thing again, he can lead a team to the playoffs and he can be successful again in the passing game.

I really love this guy like Flutie and I'd hate to see him retire. Kurt Warner and Delhomme have kept me excited about the NFL the past few years and now one is gone and the other needs a new team.

How about it Buffalo? Need a Delhomme. Keep an open mind. I'd take him in Denver in a second.

i remember when i had my first beer