New York's Buffalo misses good times and bad

I don't see anything incorrect about the article at all. Buffalo is "an old broken-down city,". Until they boot most of the politicians, cut taxes, and do whatever it takes to attract new, big businesses to provide not only jobs, but higher paying ones, it is going to stay that way.

I don't think that it was a negative article.

I don't either. A tad wishful, but encouraging nonetheless. Like it's NFL team, there's only one way to go -up! I'd come back if I could, but I can't -no jobs. Then again, I wouldn't have left if I didn't have to -no jobs.

I don't see anything incorrect about the article at all. Buffalo is "an old broken-down city,". Until they boot most of the politicians, cut taxes, and do whatever it takes to attract new, big businesses to provide not only jobs, but higher paying ones, it is going to stay that way.

You failed to mention ridding the state of union control. That's a big part of NYs problem. There will never be well-paying jobs in upstate until or unless you get rid of union control.

No one wants to operate a 21st century business in a 20th century labor environment. The unions are good at one thing, taking care of themselves and enriching their leaders. They could care less about anyone else as long as they get their guaranteed piece of the pie; even if it comes at the cost of entire cities and states. NY is doomed until or unless it is released from the stranglehold of the unions.

They actually think that creating 400 jobs at Govt Motors is a big deal. They need to offset that reporting with how many jobs were lost last year. This is one of the key reasons why the Bills will eventually leave. It has nothing to do with the fans selling out the stadium and it has nothing to do with a new stadium. The NFL wants to do business in geographic areas (not stadiums) that generate money. Buffalo simply does not generate any significant amounts of money and at this rate they never will. If I had the means to invest a billion dollars in a city, Buffalo would be near or at the bottom of my list. Not because of the people, but because of the unions and the government. It's just a lousy place to do business and has been for decades.

where is the Buffalo River???????? only one i know about, thanks to google is in australia...i pray it is an example of shoddy reporting/editing and not the mayor of buffalo actually being quoted.....

Several long-delayed projects, including revitalizing Buffalo's waterfront along the Buffalo River, are poised to kick into gear with the help of federal money, said Mayor Byron Brown.

You failed to mention ridding the state of union control. That's a big part of NYs problem. There will never be well-paying jobs in upstate until or unless you get rid of union control.

No one wants to operate a 21st century business in a 20th century labor environment. The unions are good at one thing, taking care of themselves and enriching their leaders. They could care less about anyone else as long as they get their guaranteed piece of the pie; even if it comes at the cost of entire cities and states. NY is doomed until or unless it is released from the stranglehold of the unions.

They actually think that creating 400 jobs at Govt Motors is a big deal. They need to offset that reporting with how many jobs were lost last year. This is one of the key reasons why the Bills will eventually leave. It has nothing to do with the fans selling out the stadium and it has nothing to do with a new stadium. The NFL wants to do business in geographic areas (not stadiums) that generate money. Buffalo simply does not generate any significant amounts of money and at this rate they never will. If I had the means to invest a billion dollars in a city, Buffalo would be near or at the bottom of my list. Not because of the people, but because of the unions and the government. It's just a lousy place to do business and has been for decades.

This is exactly the main reason for the lack of jobs and people relocating to find good paying jobs.

I would move back if there was a decent paying job to move back to. Also, taxes would have to be reduced because living in Florida now, taxes are considerably lower across the board. Florida is also a right to work state, which makes it fairly easy to find a decent job.

Buffalo and the State will never thrive unless the union control is taken care of and the free market system is allowed to work the way it is supposed to. Companies will not move there because of the union control.

Amen. With minimum wage over $7, who the fk needs a union? Aside from a unqualified morons looking to get paid more than they're worth.

There's two things in life to remember kids:

1) Don't B word about your waiter and leave a crappy tip A) on a friday night a.k.a. Novice Night (diners, not servers) and B) If you've never actually waited tables. Shut up.

2) Unions suck. If you dont' know it, you've obviously never owned a business, nor will you- so keep voting for the Democraps and Buffalo will remain as is.

BUFFALO though, is a great town. I love it. I wish it well. When the big quake hits CA and salt water intrusion and/or a Tsunami engulfs southern FL, Buffalo won't look so bad... will it... you know, with all the snow, bars open till 4am, free parking, good roads, GREAT restaurants, personality, architecture, history, pride, and geographic safety. All you Liberals can go eat a Falafal with Al Gore. You are to blame.

where is the Buffalo River???????? only one i know about, thanks to google is in australia...i pray it is an example of shoddy reporting/editing and not the mayor of buffalo actually being quoted.....

Actually, the Buffalo River runs through Elma and into Lake Erie north of the Harbor. I used to play in the Buffalo River when I was a wee thing (before my hair turned gray). There is also a Buffalo River in Minnesota, Michigan and Wyoming, but those three probably aren't the ones discuss in the article.

Amen. With minimum wage over $7, who the fk needs a union? Aside from a unqualified morons looking to get paid more than they're worth.

There's two things in life to remember kids:

1) Don't B word about your waiter and leave a crappy tip A) on a friday night a.k.a. Novice Night (diners, not servers) and B) If you've never actually waited tables. Shut up.

2) Unions suck. If you dont' know it, you've obviously never owned a business, nor will you- so keep voting for the Democraps and Buffalo will remain as is.

BUFFALO though, is a great town. I love it. I wish it well. When the big quake hits CA and salt water intrusion and/or a Tsunami engulfs southern FL, Buffalo won't look so bad... will it... you know, with all the snow, bars open till 4am, free parking, good roads, GREAT restaurants, personality, architecture, history, pride, and geographic safety. All you Liberals can go eat a Falafal with Al Gore. You are to blame.

Ha ha ha ha ha...you a funny man. You're right. Liberals are to blame for EVERYTHING. Never mind that Conservatives are in power 90% of the time. If you earn less than $250,000 a year and actually believe this schitt, you are a gullible fool.

PTR

well color me embarassed, i had no idea there was a Buffalo River in Buffalo..... :w00t:

Actually, the Buffalo River runs through Elma and into Lake Erie north of the Harbor. I used to play in the Buffalo River when I was a wee thing (before my hair turned gray). There is also a Buffalo River in Minnesota, Michigan and Wyoming, but those three probably aren't the ones discuss in the article.