Give Trent Edwards a chance

Nasty

First time post here. I personnally liked TE as our quarterback. Better then Fitzpatrick. Better then Losman. Better then anyone we can get in a draft this year. Our problem is just keeping him upright to make the throw. His accuracy is good and when he did have time to throw over the middle and down field he wasn't affraid. For instance during the Redskins game two years ago at the end of the game when he needed to make a throw downfield and had time he was money. Another example was the Jacksonville game when he had another fourth quarter game winning drive at the end. He is a good quarter back to me just not coached properly and no line. He was loved in 08 until the Cardnials game where he had his first concussion. That to me is when he got scared. Then he went through the hole training camp last year to have his coordinator dumped right before the season and had a new OC. If he had any consistant coaching he would be a stud now. For that matter I think Losman would have panned out to if it wasn't for sorry coaching. With Loseman they tried to make him a pocket quarterback. To me he should have used his legs more. But I still like Edwards better. We really need to concentrate on our lines Offensive and Defensive this year. Go Bills!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the board.

Your first post is somewhat akin to standing on a rooftop during a thunderstorm and holding up a ten foot stick of copper pipe. Good luck with that.

Trent Edwards is generally reviled around here except for a few supporters who feel similarly to you.

It sounds like the new brain trust at One Bills Drive might just give Edwards one more shot at the starting job.

Unless there really is a concerted effort going on by the front office to reduce payroll, I don't see any reason to get rid of Edwards before he has a chance to earn the starting job in training camp. Early on, Edwards showed that he had the ability to play very well. At this point I have basically no faith that he's going to be able to get his mojo back, but I don't see any reason to deny him the opportunity.

First time post here. I personnally liked TE as our quarterback. Better then Fitzpatrick. Better then Losman. Better then anyone we can get in a draft this year. Our problem is just keeping him upright to make the throw. His accuracy is good and when he did have time to throw over the middle and down field he wasn't affraid. For instance during the Redskins game two years ago at the end of the game when he needed to make a throw downfield and had time he was money. Another example was the Jacksonville game when he had another fourth quarter game winning drive at the end. He is a good quarter back to me just not coached properly and no line. He was loved in 08 until the Cardnials game where he had his first concussion. That to me is when he got scared. Then he went through the hole training camp last year to have his coordinator dumped right before the season and had a new OC. If he had any consistant coaching he would be a stud now. For that matter I think Losman would have panned out to if it wasn't for sorry coaching. With Loseman they tried to make him a pocket quarterback. To me he should have used his legs more. But I still like Edwards better. We really need to concentrate on our lines Offensive and Defensive this year. Go Bills!!

Well he has had a chance and then some. Im with you I think he showed promise until the concusion, I feel its unfair to judge anybody from that chaos last year. Chan said he will revolve his offense to his players strength maybe that will help. I like Trent but he doesnt deserve to be handed the job. IMO we should release Fitzpatrick and either bring in a young veteran with potential or a drafted rookie and let Trent, Brohm, and the new guy battle it out.

Well he has had a chance and then some. Im with you I think he showed promise until the concusion, I feel its unfair to judge anybody from that chaos last year. Chan said he will revolve his offense to his players strength maybe that will help. I like Trent but he doesnt deserve to be handed the job. IMO we should release Fitzpatrick and either bring in a young veteran with potential or a drafted rookie and let Trent, Brohm, and the new guy battle it out.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Unless there really is a concerted effort going on by the front office to reduce payroll, I don't see any reason to get rid of Edwards before he has a chance to earn the starting job in training camp. Early on, Edwards showed that he had the ability to play very well. At this point I have basically no faith that he's going to be able to get his mojo back, but I don't see any reason to deny him the opportunity.

Can't polish a turd. He had his chance and failed. time to cut bait and move on

File this one under "beating a dead horse"

How many years should the Trent Edwards audition last?

Ryan Fitz beat him out of his job last year.

The fact he was given the keys to the castle for 3 years tells me he has been given

a solid chance. Now we are making excuses for him. If Trent can show that he can assess the open receivers 20 yards down the field and throw to them instead of checking down, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot.

Drew Brees didn't have a good year until his fourth season and he didn't have to play musical QBs or OCs

Can't polish a turd. He had his chance and failed. time to cut bait and move on

Why? We'll bring 4 QB's to camp anyway, what's wrong with Trent being one of them? If he's not good enough to win the starting job, who does it hurt?

If we draft a QB, I highly doubt he will be ready to start Week 1. During this waiting period...that might be Edwards' last chance to show the team something.

Other than that, the guy's had his chance. Average arm, gun-shy, injury prone...not the type of QB that can take you very far without an elite squad around him.

Due to the fact of Buffalo needing 2 OT's and a 3-4 DT I think QB should not even be a consideration in this years draft. I do believe however we have capable QB's on the roster now in Edwards and Brohm. Edwards needs to come back out of his shell and an offensive minded coach I believe will do wonders. With that said, prior to FA I believe the draft shout go like this: T, DT, T, OLB, FB, OLB, T.

I think Trent isn't the answer, but I agree with you. No reason not to give him a chance.

Before the cards game in 08 he was playing at a good level, there was even talk of him becoming a very good qb. Heck we were winning games, I get it, we beat a lot of teams with poor records , but still wins are wins in the nfl. The problem is that he hasn't been close to that quaterback since he got his head scrabbled . Would things be different if he played befhind a solid line to protect him ?. I don't know ,but I have a strange feeling we are going to find out this year.

Why? We'll bring 4 QB's to camp anyway, what's wrong with Trent being one of them? If he's not good enough to win the starting job, who does it hurt?

Exactly, what difference does it make?

ICE you've been supportive of the Nix / Gailey regime so far, so look at it this way - if they think Trent should be at camp and have a shot to start, then maybe he should.

It's going to be interesting to see who else they bring in as the 4th QB, especially if it's a rookie. Trent's off-season will tell the story on him, I'm sure he knows this is his last shot (in Buffalo at least). We'll have to see if he makes the effort and puts in the time to at least TRY and have a career...

Uumm, Trentative already had a chance(s). He's not a Buffalo type of guy and I find his Jauronesque-like personality nausiating. He acts like a boy who lives with his sister. Update- Losman is no longer on the roster, so quit the comparisons.

Stop this Buffalo guy crap. It's meaningless. Get a clue - the players don't care about the city they just want a paycheck. They don't care if the stadium is full or empty. Is the weather even that much of an issue in Buffalo/Toronto anymore? Did being from California prevent Brady from becoming a superstar?

Edwards is a solid QB between the 20s. Too bad one has to score points to win a football game.

If there's one thing Gailey has done consistently is run the freaking ball. Trent can get us to the 20 and Freddy to the end zone...