John Skelton

JPS

I know everyone didn't throw at the combine, but I thought this Skelton kid looked the best throwing the ball. He's 6'5" and the ball jumps off his hand....quickly. Being the size he is and the way he throws it, he reminded me of Bledsoe. Check out the Youtube on him (hope the link works).

Looked like he moved around pretty well too. Is he the second coming? No. Did he play against anyone? No. I'm just saying he looked good at the combine. Tony Pike....not so much.

I know everyone didn't throw at the combine, but I thought this Skelton kid looked the best throwing the ball. He's 6'5" and the ball jumps off his hand....quickly. Being the size he is and the way he throws it, he reminded me of Bledsoe. Check out the Youtube on him (hope the link works).

Looked like he moved around pretty well too. Is he the second coming? No. Did he play against anyone? No. I'm just saying he looked good at the combine. Tony Pike....not so much.

I was never a fan of Bledsoe. However I know next to nothing about this Skelton kid so can't say too much :unsure:

It looks like he can throw the ball 50 yards with little effort. His competition was not elite. If he has what it takes it will still take 3 years for him to develop. Can we wait three years for him and watch Fitz, TE or Brohm without mass suicides? Probably not.

Well, Bledsoe's time as an NFL QB ended while in Buffalo, even though he played a couple more years. But the guy was undoubtedly a franchise QB for 10 years and did throw for 45,000 yards in the NFL.

I know it's easy to flame on unknown guys, but I'm curious about this guy after watching him move and watching him throw. I'm no QB coach, but he looked solid, whereas Tony Pike did not. Others were just okay, but I think Skelton will have people at least looking closer at his film after this weekend. I really wish LeFevour would have thrown.

It looks like he can throw the ball 50 yards with little effort. His competition was not elite. If he has what it takes it will still take 3 years for him to develop. Can we wait three years for him and watch Fitz, TE or Brohm without mass suicides? Probably not.

Sounds like he has upside so I guess you are right in asking if we have the time to wait for him to develop. My guess is that we will have to wait anyway because I don't foresee a franchise QB emerging for the Bills THIS season. So that being said, if there is a guy like Skelton with enough upside that Nix/Gailey like, I wouldn't mind taking him in a mid-late round and developing him.

P.S. I wouldn't count out Brohm. However, that depends on if Gailey can determine anything from what little film there must be of him.

I just read a Bleacher Report article on Skelton. I'd definitely take a chance on him in a late round.

You lost me at "he reminded me of Bledsoe". Please God no

I haven't seen any clips of taking the snap from under center...product of the system

If we go that route...I'll take my chance on Tebow.

I heard - I think it was an NFL.com vid but not sure - he looked bad. Very inaccurate causing WRs to slow or even stop their routes and wait for the ball. Being a AA guy, maybe he is not used to throwing to WRs with the speed of the guys at the combine? Your link is to an impressive highlight tape, but Im not certain if he can do that consistently. He is a late round prospect none the less. I dont have an opinion on him really, how can I when I havent seen him play.

I seriously like this kid. "It" factor comes to my mind when I watch this kid play. The throw at the 2:54 mark is a very important throw you need in the NFL. The play is a role out, the defender sniffs out the play, you avoid the defender and make an accurate throw down field.

Not to mention gusty winds all season long in Buffalo

Not sure about Skelton's accuracy, but he would have no problem with wind. Very strong arm. Who knows. He's probably garbage, but he threw well at the combine.

I went to Fordham, the football program is a complete joke. It only went D1 in 1989 and in that stretch had 2 good years, the rest of have been mediocre (including Skelton's last couple years) and have had some 0 win seasons in there. They play in the Patriot League against and ivy league type teams and often get their rear handed to them. I'd say chances are slim that Skelton is much more than a long term project. Another recent Fordham QB, Kevin Eakin, got a lot of press and bounced around the NFL (including Buffalo) practice squads and never amounted to anything.

Fordham was once on par with Notre Dame (Vince Lombardi played there, played in Bowl games, even the St. Louis Rams are actually named after the Fordham Rams who were originally the Cleveland Rams) but that legacy is dead.

I'd say pass.