Could we draft 2 tackles in rounds 1 and 2?

billsfan89

With Butler retiring our O-line is now short 2 tackle spots. Lets say we draft a LT in round 1 could we then go with a RT in round 2. Also who are the top RT prospects that project to go in the 2nd round? If we are committed to going with Kyle Williams at the NT then we aren't likely to go with one in the 2nd round.

I also feel like we can go address other front 7 needs via free agency. Guys like Jarvis Green could be had (Especially now that TO, Denny and Reed aren't going to be on the payroll) in free agency to help the conversion to the 3-4. I don't know if Buffalo feels like they need to draft defensive players high up when cheaper solutions could be had in free agency.

Teams like the Fins in 2008 built a 3-4 front 7 on the cheap through free agency and trade I think the Bills feel like they could do the same while filling out the O-line in Free agency.

Lets say we bring in Jarvis Green, Joey Porter, and Vonnie Holiday and a backup NT is the organization comfortable with those acquisitions and maybe mid round picks rounding out the front 7.

With Butler retiring our O-line is now short 2 tackle spots. Lets say we draft a LT in round 1 could we then go with a RT in round 2. Also who are the top RT prospects that project to go in the 2nd round? If we are committed to going with Kyle Williams at the NT then we aren't likely to go with one in the 2nd round.

I also feel like we can go address other front 7 needs via free agency. Guys like Jarvis Green could be had (Especially now that TO, Denny and Reed aren't going to be on the payroll) in free agency to help the conversion to the 3-4. I don't know if Buffalo feels like they need to draft defensive players high up when cheaper solutions could be had in free agency.

Teams like the Fins in 2008 built a 3-4 front 7 on the cheap through free agency and trade I think the Bills feel like they could do the same while filling out the O-line in Free agency.

Lets say we bring in Jarvis Green, Joey Porter, and Vonnie Holiday and a backup NT is the organization comfortable with those acquisitions and maybe mid round picks rounding out the front 7.

it theory not a bad idea , just don't know what right tackles have second round grades

Since there is no way to fix it all in one offseason anyways, I would be fine with LT and RT being the first two picks. It would be like the Tarik Glenn/Adam Meadows draft for the Colts........ Might as well build the O-line into a strength while ya can. :thumbsup:

Since there is no way to fix it all in one offseason anyways, I would be fine with LT and RT being the first two picks. It would be like the Tarik Glenn/Adam Meadows draft for the Colts........ Might as well build the O-line into a strength while ya can. :thumbsup:

Jacksonville last year did the same thing even after the signed Tra Thomas to a big contract. They drafted Monroe 8th overall and went in the 2nd and drafted Ebbion Britton now I don't know how well its going for them because its too early to tell either way BUT it proves teams often look to getting both tackle spots in line when rebuilding their O-lines.

depends on free agency and if we manage to pick someone up. with the franchise tags last week i dont know who is available. drafting two bookend tackles would not be the worst thing to do. if maybin ends up playing olb well then its like having him be a draft pick this year. they would just have knock those picks out of the park.

Butler played like 2 games at tackle and was a very average at best injury prone guard. I dont understand how he creates such a vacancy? Another average RT can be obtained through FA. Between Jonathan Scott, Demetrius Bell, and Jamon Meredith we have an average RT. LT is the main objective, Bell is an OK 2nd option but to injury prone and to penalty prone to start.

So we want to start two rookies on the offensive line for the second straight year? I like the idea of going after a veteran tackle in FA and another in the draft.

We have been debating on this board whether they should draft a QB or a LT. How about the idea of drafting a QB like Bradford or Clausen at #9 and then trading back into the first for a LT like the kid from Iowa if hes there in the mid to late first?

I know we have a bunch of holes but getting these two positions filled ASAP so they can begint o develop should be priority #1

I don't see why we are assuming that Kyle Williams is the NT, all Nix said was that he can see him in a rotational role there. Man talk about jumping the goat here...

I also don't see why we're assuming that we cannot find a competent RT out of what we already have in Bell, Meredith and Watkins. Incognito could also play RT if we decide to stick with Hangartner at C, with Levitre and Wood on each side of him.

Rookie LT - Levitre - Hangartner - Wood - Incognito

Rookie LT - Levitre - Wood - Incognito - Bell/Meredith/Watkins

We need to fill other needs...we can find a decent OT out of what we already have.

T.Williams/B.Campbell/C.Brown(usc). One of which should still be around at our 2nd rounder. I think at that pick, we will find more value at OT than NT anyways. The most value may be at OLB though. I dont see any value in the 2nd at QB or WR. We have holes all over so we have lots of freedom in the draft.

I think Brown goes #14, Williams goes #17, and Campbell goes #23.

I ran a simulation with us taking Bulaga or Davis with our RD1 (with similar results).

Here are the players that would be available to us at our RD2 pick:

Brandon Spikes ILB Florida

Jerry Hughes OLB34 TCU

Damian Williams WRF USC

Sean Weatherspoon OLB43 Missouri

Dexter McCluster WRS Mississippi

Daryl Washington ILB TCU

Aaron Hernandez TE Florida

Greg Hardy DE43 Mississippi

Vladimir Ducasse OG Massachusetts

Rodger Saffold OG Indiana

Morgan Burnett SS Georgia Tech

Nate Allen FS South Florida

Terrence Cody DT34 Alabama

Chad Jones SS LSU

T.J. Ward SS Oregon

Selvish Capers OT West Virginia

Demaryius Thomas WRP Georgia Tech

Tony Pike QB Cincinnati

You could take Selvish Capers here, but we're committing to a 3-4 defense, and selecting Spikes, Hughes, or Cody would help you get R done more than Capers would help you here. If you took Bulaga, why not wait until RD4 and take Bulaga's Iowa counterpart Kyle Calloway? In RD3 it's a little early to think about Jared Veldheer, but he could be a steal--he'd just need time to develop.

I could also argue that an ideal replacement for Reed is sitting there who knows Chan Gailey--Demaryius Thomas.

I ran a simulation with us taking Bulaga or Davis with our RD1 (with similar results).

Jerry Hughes OLB34 TCU

Damian Williams WRF USC

Daryl Washington ILB TCU

Chad Jones SS LSU

T.J. Ward SS Oregon

Tony Pike QB Cincinnati

You could take Selvish Capers here, but we're committing to a 3-4 defense, and selecting Spikes, Hughes, or Cody would help you get R done more than Capers would help you here. If you took Bulaga, why not wait until RD4 and take Bulaga's Iowa counterpart Kyle Calloway? In RD3 it's a little early to think about Jared Veldheer, but he could be a steal--he'd just need time to develop.

I could also argue that an ideal replacement for Reed is sitting there who knows Chan Gailey--Demaryius Thomas.

An OT with our first pick and DT Cody with our second pick sounds very appealing. Starting with the lines and working out is the anti-thesis of the Jauron approach of starting with perimeter players and then addressing the lines.

Jerry Hughes OLB34 TCU

Damian Williams WRF USC

Daryl Washington ILB TCU

Chad Jones SS LSU

T.J. Ward SS Oregon

Tony Pike QB Cincinnati

Sorry but I don't Cody will be there in round 2 he is still too valuable of a commodity to not go somewhere in the back end of the 1st round. Don't get me wrong if Cody is there at pick 41 I take him I just think he won't be there. So I could see us going with a guy like Capers at 41.

I don't see why we are assuming that Kyle Williams is the NT, all Nix said was that he can see him in a rotational role there. Man talk about jumping the goat here...

Thank you. Williams is more likely to be the relief NT who comes in on passing downs.

IMHO using 1st and 2nd round picks on the OL two years in a row is setting yourself up for severe negotiating problems at the end of the contracts, which would most likely lead to losing one or two after thelir first contract. Other than that I'm not against it, but think we have higher priorities.

Butler played like 2 games at tackle and was a very average at best injury prone guard. I dont understand how he creates such a vacancy? Another average RT can be obtained through FA. Between Jonathan Scott, Demetrius Bell, and Jamon Meredith we have an average RT. LT is the main objective, Bell is an OK 2nd option but to injury prone and to penalty prone to start.

Actually, Butler was the 8th best tackle in the league at the point when he was injured, according to profootballfocus.com. Butler was in no way average, he was a very good player. And he went three years without a serious injury, though he did have two unrelated ones the last two years. There were still questions about whether he was actually injury-prone.

He creates a major vacancy, as shown last year by our inability to ever fill the gap with anyone decent. Between Scott, Bell and Meredith, we have an average RT? Well, maybe if you could add them up into one guy. None of them proved even decent last year. Bell isn't even close to being strong enough for RT, hell, he's not strong enough for LT. Meredith might be the best hope, but unless he shows major improvement, we just don't have anybody.