Could we draft 2 tackles in rounds 1 and 2?

billsfan89

Any OT with a 2nd round grade will be taken in the 1st round. The position is that important.

It didn't happen last year or the year before. Why should it happen now? The top guys, the guys who look like possible franchise LTs, do indeed go earlier than they might deserve. Not the RTs, though. Look at what happened to Oher, who fell because people thought, possibly correctly, that he was an RT and not an LT. Britton and those guys went about where predicted.

All depends on what happens in FA. If the FO can't land a quality LB and at least a back-up NT then one of the first two picks will go to defense. I hope Bradford falls to 9th and the Bills can trade down for an extra 2nd or third would be huge for this team. Two tackles in the first three rounds that pan out could change the next five years significantly. Think KC Chiefs late nineties early 2000's.

I think Brown goes #14, Williams goes #17, and Campbell goes #23.

I ran a simulation with us taking Bulaga or Davis with our RD1 (with similar results).

Here are the players that would be available to us at our RD2 pick:

Brandon Spikes ILB Florida

Jerry Hughes OLB34 TCU

Damian Williams WRF USC

Sean Weatherspoon OLB43 Missouri

Dexter McCluster WRS Mississippi

Daryl Washington ILB TCU

Aaron Hernandez TE Florida

Greg Hardy DE43 Mississippi

Vladimir Ducasse OG Massachusetts

Rodger Saffold OG Indiana

Morgan Burnett SS Georgia Tech

Nate Allen FS South Florida

Terrence Cody DT34 Alabama

Chad Jones SS LSU

T.J. Ward SS Oregon

Selvish Capers OT West Virginia

Demaryius Thomas WRP Georgia Tech

Tony Pike QB Cincinnati

You could take Selvish Capers here, but we're committing to a 3-4 defense, and selecting Spikes, Hughes, or Cody would help you get R done more than Capers would help you here. If you took Bulaga, why not wait until RD4 and take Bulaga's Iowa counterpart Kyle Calloway? In RD3 it's a little early to think about Jared Veldheer, but he could be a steal--he'd just need time to develop.

I could also argue that an ideal replacement for Reed is sitting there who knows Chan Gailey--Demaryius Thomas.

Interesting stuff. Great contribution.

Lets say we bring in Jarvis Green, Joey Porter, and Vonnie Holiday and a backup NT is the organization comfortable with those acquisitions and maybe mid round picks rounding out the front 7.

Jarvis Green isn't particularly good (2 sacks in 2008, one last year), Joey Porter is very good, but starting to get old (32, and that's old for a position relying on pure athleticism) and Vonnie Holliday is 34. By the time the team is ready to be competitive for playoff spots, or even to go further, we'll have replace them.

So, no I wouldn't be happy with any of those guys.

This is a truly exceptional offensive line draft especially at tackle. I suspect the best player available when we get to our second pick will be a tackle and I think we should consider getting a second tackle. I'll go further and say we should get a good solid veteran tackle in free agency as well. I say this because we need not only quality but also depth in the offensive line. A solid gaurd wouldn't be a bad pick up either given the uncertainty of Woods. QB? Frankly the qb class is weak this year and in any other year Clausen would be a low first round or high second round pick, and probably not the guy to bet the farm on. Bradford will be gone by the time we pick, and if he isn't the need for a quality tackle and the fact that blue chip tackles will be available at nine trumps the desire to get yet another qb to fail behind a poor offensive line.