Aaron Schobel

Bills#23Iowa

They play zone coverage at times and he has done this in the past. Why do suppose they call it a 3-4 rush LB. That is their primary function. If you read my post you will see that I already stated that he can cover maybe we should have Mckelvin play OLB. you do not need a shut down corner at OLB.

Oh I see, since you say he can cover, that should be it then? When has he ever had the opportunity to show that he can cover like a LB?

And saying the "primary function" of a 3-4 OLB is to rush is vastly over-simplifying the position. Watch some teams that run the defense and tell me that the OLB's are rushing almost every play. It's not the case.

Again, I'm not saying that he absolutely can't do it. Only that acting like it's a foregone conclusion is nonsense. Just because he can get to the QB as a DE doesn't mean he can handle all of the responsibilities of being an OLB. It doesn't even mean that he would be successful rushing the QB from a new position. Why do people act like this is a game of Madden where you can just go change the settings and put a player in a new position?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you know this how? His great coverage ability when he's had to pick up a slot WR, RB, TE???? His ability to shed blocks in the run game???? :rolleyes:

Actually he's been very good in coverage for a DE. I don't know that it's going to translate to the OLB position, but at least we've seen some indications that he's got the capability. As for your other comment, he's been absolutely tremendous against the run for the last several years.

I'm not entirely convinced that he can make this transition successfully. But for the last few seasons his greatest strengths have been his versatility, his intelligence and his ability to do a multitude of things well. It's not a guarantee of success, but it certainly bodes well for him and the Bills.

He is too old, slow, and overweight to play as an OLB in a 3-4. Sure if he lost 20+lbs, and 3 years, and never had nagging injuries he might be a good fit. Its too late in the game for him to learn a new scheme and be productive. He would be a stopgap and thats about it.

If he was trying to get traded to a Texas team so he could be closer to his family, Id say good luck with that. Im sure every other team thinks the same about Schobel. Old, and slow.

Schobel has been a solid player for some time yes, but old and slow? I think he showed last year that there is still something left in his tank.

Sure, jettison (or let walk, trade or whatever) one of our best defensive players make tons of sense.

The quoted post, well, it certainly won't win any awards......

This is pretty straightforward really. Schobel knows he's due the roster bonus, so he makes it known that he's thinking about retiring to get the Bills' attention. Once he creates doubt in the Bills' mind about whether he wants to be here, he's in a position to force a trade. Schobel's as good as gone, the question is what do we get for him.

Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports that the Bills are scheduled to pay Aaron Schobel a $2 million roster bonus "around" March 9.

Ideally, Schobel will inform the team whether he's going to retire or keep playing before that date. Schobel would be a terrific fit as an outside linebacker in Buffalo's new 3-4 scheme, so the team is likely hoping he won't hang 'em up. Otherwise, the Bills will have yet another need area.

We should hear something soon.

He is an average DE that gets Sacks when they dont matter, Will not have cover skills at LB for what he is paid, let him retire or trade him, his time in Buffalo is done, and he is not good enough to call the shots

This is pretty straightforward really. Schobel knows he's due the roster bonus, so he makes it known that he's thinking about retiring to get the Bills' attention. Once he creates doubt in the Bills' mind about whether he wants to be here, he's in a position to force a trade. Schobel's as good as gone, the question is what do we get for him.

That is a very convincing, sensible comment, but I hope you are wrong. The man can still play.