Top 5 Rock Guitar Solos Of All Time

truth on hold

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice.

Sounds like there's some Django Reinhardt in Atkins playing ... who knew!

I'm a huge Chet Atkins fan. And his followers are some of the best pickers in the biz:

Chet and Mark O'Connor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&am...p;v=absuj8MRTYw

Chet and Tony Rice (with some other all time greats including David Grisman on mando, Bela Fleck on banjo, Rob Wasserman on bass and Mark O'Connor on fiddle):

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&am...p;v=YrNS54hBTdo

Dean,

I have to say I think your contempt for EVH as a soloist is unfounded. He has a lot of memorable offerings like "Eruption", "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Little Dreamer."

He'll never the emotive soloist like Gilmore, but he's not purely a shredder like Mahlsteem, who bores me to tears after the 1st minute.

Dean,

I have to say I think your contempt for EVH as a soloist is unfounded. He has a lot of memorable offerings like "Eruption", "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Little Dreamer."

He'll never the emotive soloist like Gilmore, but he's not purely a shredder like Mahlsteem, who bores me to tears after the 1st minute.

Yes, my dislike of Eddie goes way back. He was horrible when I saw him in concert (way back at their start) and he has never impressed me as a guitarist. Extremely overrated, IMO.

But, to each his/her own.

Dean,

EVH rips on Fair Warning.

what do you think of an Al Dimeola? is he a soulless shredder too?

well he's got an immaculate right hand, no doubt.

but i'd say he all too often falls into patterns.

and many times will play a riff just to show how fast he is.

so in some sense, yes, he shreds

Comfortably Numb or Money...

Knopfler is oft forgot about, but an excellent player and a little underrated

I love Gilmour's style.

Knopfler's work on Sultans of Swing is amazing ... he has some of the juiciest fills ever.

I always liked Martin Barre's solo on Aqualung too.

-- always liked Brian May on "Tie Your Mother Down."

-- very under-rated solo is Lindsey Buckingham at the end of "Go Your Own Way." it's a solo that brilliantly catches the theme of the song.

-- John Hiatt's solo on the ultra-great song "Ethylene" kicks butt, which is why it ranks as one of my all-time go-to songs.

-- whoever does the solo on Black Crowes' "Hotel Illness."

-- and having difficulty choosing one Pete Townsend solo.

jw

-- very under-rated solo is Lindsey Buckingham at the end of "Go Your Own Way." it's a solo that brilliantly catches the theme of the song.

-- John Hiatt's solo on the ultra-great song "Ethylene" kicks butt, which is why it ranks as one of my all-time go-to songs.

jw

Mmmm. As a child of the late '70s, the first two of those are right in my wheelhouse. I do wish LiddyBuck hadn't started doing the random string-shredding thing at the end of multiple songs on the Say You Will tour, though. I could live with it on "I'm So Afraid," but I liked the ending of GYOW just the way it was.

jw

I really dont think he has any. The work at the beginning of Eminence Front is good but nothing epic. Heck, the most memorable soloing from a stringed instrument in that band is Entwhistle's in "My Generation"