Ralph Wilsons worst move? Not extending Kelly.

ICE

Jim kelly had his struggles in 96, but we still made the playoffs. There has always been the infamous 'Hand shake'  agreement between RW and JK.

although JK had declined some, please don't even try to say that he would have done worse than Todd Collins or BJ Hobart!  No way.  Kelly to me needed another year with Quinn Early (Miss used IMHO) and Moulds. Moulds was just a rookie punk that year (off the field issues).

I think a 3 year extention should have been done.  another season with Moulds/Early would have been a result we all would have been pleased with.  We could have bypassed the upcoming RJ/Flutie thing by drafting a Guy to have Kelly help groom.

132306[/snapback]

Quinn Early? :lol:

Signing him in the 1st place was far worse than not extending Jimbo.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly also retired because Kent Hull retired.

You think Kelly would have been a good choice? Come on.

Better than Drew? Wow convinced me there. What is next. Better than RJ? Wow. Geez. Was he better than Vince F season or Bruce Matthewson?

Kellys son was born in the off season. The family finds out that he has a terrible disease. Yeah Jimbo would have had the total focus necessary on the game of football after learning that.

Dont believe me... Well Kelly tried GameDay and then realized he did not have time for that. But Pro Football would have been a walk in the park!!

20/20 my frineds... collins looked like the better choice in 1996. Looking back, who wouldn't want kelly over those **** choices of collins, hobert, van pelt, rj, flutie, or bledsoe?? What's done is done. I'm sure the seahawks want largent, the cowboys want aikman, and the dolphins want marino. I for one see a bright future with losman, so there's really no need to look back at our craptastic QB history, save one.

Puh-lease. IF there had been a TWOBILLSDRIVE in 1996, ICE you would be calling for JKs head saying that he had passed his prime and that if we drafted his replacement (Collins) they why the hell is he rotting on the bench??

In addition, I believe people in general (not just you) would have been less tolerant of Kelly playing at a diminished skill level THEN than NOW. Reason being we were playing at a consistent high-level (SBs, Playoffs, Dominating Wins) and there was less tolerance for "sub-standard play." The way Drew has played the last few years would have brought about his end way before now IF he had been JKs replacement instead of Rob Johnsons. Hell we were platooning QBs in 1997. AVP one game, Clod the next.

IF Ralph had extended JKs contract, there would have been clamor that we were wasting his promising replacement on the bench and also that we were wasting valuable $$$ that could have been spent on other FAs.

Puh-lease. IF there had been a TWOBILLSDRIVE in 1996, ICE you would be calling for JKs head saying that he had passed his prime and that if we drafted his replacement (Collins) they why the hell is he rotting on the bench??

In addition, I believe people in general (not just you) would have been less tolerant of Kelly playing at a diminished skill level THEN than NOW. Reason being we were playing at a consistent high-level (SBs, Playoffs, Dominating Wins) and there was less tolerance for "sub-standard play." The way Drew has played the last few years would have brought about his end way before now IF he had been JKs replacement instead of Rob Johnsons. Hell we were platooning QBs in 1997. AVP one game, Clod the next.

IF Ralph had extended JKs contract, there would have been clamor that we were wasting his promising replacement on the bench and also that we were wasting valuable $$$ that could have been spent on other FAs.

132645[/snapback]

Actually there was a board on the D&C where most of us came from. That said NO I did NOT call for his head.

I for one see a bright future with losman, so there's really no need to look back at our craptastic QB history, save one.

132596[/snapback]

I hope your vision is true. I really, really, really do! :lol:

Personally, after the disappointments with Collins, Flutie, Johnson, and Bledsoe, I am not ready to throw my hat in anyone's ring. At this point I want action not hype.

I can only hope the kid is the answer to the QB spot, but my hopes have been dashed too many times since JK went off the field on a cart.

Guest Guest_RLflutie2_*

I think the Bills should have gone out of their way to extend Kelly. I always wondered why they didn't.

JK was one of the best QBs in the league and he made the Bills, at that time, one of the worst teams in league history, a playoff contender every year.

Also, Kelly had a right to complain about the O-line.

BTW: Flutie led the Bills to the playoffs in his first year with the team and the following year with a bad O-line and A. Smith at running back. Not a bad run.

Also, Flutie's 20-year hail mary pass anniversery was yesterday

Actually there was a board on the D&C where most of us came from.  That said NO I did NOT call for his head.

132707[/snapback]

When Kelly was not resigned, he had no arm. He could not make the sideline throw. He also couldn't run. It was time. Also, that team had no where near the talent the team of the early 90's had. And Jim Kelly was one of the benefactors of all that talent. And the comment on Tasker. Kelly always said Tasker could get open with anyone covering him. So playing him may not have been the big drop off you say it was.

One thing Kelly preserved is the image of himself as a all-time great QB. If he stuck around another year I would probably have the same image of him as I do of Jack Kemp.

You seem to forget your two year campaign here on how great RJ was. Guess that didn't work out.

When they signed Bledoe, it was the same thing. You said it was one of the greatest moves the Bills ever made. Now you tell us that didn't work out.

Maybe you should quit promoting JP. You may be some kind of QB curse.

Jim kelly had his struggles in 96, but we still made the playoffs. There has always been the infamous 'Hand shake'  agreement between RW and JK.

although JK had declined some, please don't even try to say that he would have done worse than Todd Collins or BJ Hobart!  No way.  Kelly to me needed another year with Quinn Early (Miss used IMHO) and Moulds. Moulds was just a rookie punk that year (off the field issues).

I think a 3 year extention should have been done.  another season with Moulds/Early would have been a result we all would have been pleased with.  We could have bypassed the upcoming RJ/Flutie thing by drafting a Guy to have Kelly help groom.

132306[/snapback]

Disagree. The worst move was definitely keeping Rob Johnson on this team. That slowed us down big time.

Actually ICE - Jim Kelly's last year was WORSE than this years Drew.

1996 Kelly - 222 of 379 which is 58.6% for 2810 yards, 14 TD's, and 19 Int's

2004 Bledsoe (so far) - 148 of 264 which is 56.1% for 1736 yards, 12 TD's and 11 Int's

>> Which is on pace for

2004 Bledsoe - 236 of 422 which is 56.1% for 2777 yards, 19 TD's, and 17 Int's

All the fans were calling for Kelly to retire.  I remember it like it was yesterday. 

I have to say, though, that Kelly's last year was better than this year's Drew.

All the fans were calling for Kelly to retire.

BULLCRAP I SAY, BULLCRAP!!!

BTW: Flutie led the Bills to the playoffs in his first year with the team and the following year with a bad O-line and A. Smith at running back. Not a bad run.

Hey, i'm glad you decided to post. Forgive me, but i forgot your first name, so i shall call you Mrs. Flutie. I also forgive your view of history, as you had your hands full with your autistic son. I know from experience, being a pre k teacher for autistic and mentally retarded children. The real view of history was that your husband really wasn't that great. It was the #1 defense in the league that kept the bills in games for the ENTIRE offense to grind the team into field goal range most of the time for christie. I applaud your stand, but its simply wrong. By the way, does doug actually stand 5'10", or is it more like 5'7"? If you PM me with your address, i'll be more than happy to send you my jr. drum set!

I wasn't calling for Kelly to retire. I know Todd Collins sucked becasue he played at Michigan.

Anyways, Kelly retired because of the beating he took in 1996. The last hit he took that knocked him senseless against Jacksonville in the playoff game sealed it. He couldn't get up and walk off the field and when that happened he knew it was time to retire.

Actually ICE - Jim Kelly's last year was WORSE than this years Drew.

1996 Kelly -  222 of 379 which is 58.6% for 2810 yards,  14 TD's, and 19 Int's

2004 Bledsoe (so far) - 148 of 264 which is 56.1% for 1736 yards, 12 TD's and 11 Int's

>> Which is on pace for

2004 Bledsoe - 236 of 422 which is 56.1% for 2777 yards, 19 TD's, and 17 Int's

132782[/snapback]

Kellys last year...Playoffs

Bledsoe.....

Bledsoe.....

Still waiting.........

Hey, i'm glad you decided to post.  Forgive me, but i forgot your first name, so i shall call you Mrs. Flutie.  I also forgive your view of history, as you had your hands full with your autistic son.  I know from experience, being a pre k teacher for autistic and mentally retarded children.  The real view of history was that your husband really wasn't that great.  It was the #1 defense in the league that kept the bills in games for the ENTIRE offense to grind the team into field goal range most of the time for christie.  I applaud your stand, but its simply wrong.  By the way, does doug actually stand 5'10", or is it more like 5'7"?  If you PM me with your address, i'll be more than happy to send you my jr. drum set!

132809[/snapback]

The #1 defense that you are talking about was one of the worst on third down.

Plus, Pendry was too consevative on offense in 1999. Inside the 20, the Bills often ran three running plays and kicked the field goal.

Christie was great that year (99). As he hit clutch FG after clutch FG. But Flutie was great considering he didn't have Moulds for part of the year and Reed just didn't have it any more.

Running back A. Smith was a non factor and Flutie contriubuted a lot of yards in rushing.

Kind of like Vick does now. Does he suck? Yes he does in some ways and no he doesn't in other ways.

What's your thoughts on Vick? I'm dying to know.

When Kelly was not resigned, he had no arm.  He could not make the sideline throw.  He also couldn't run.  It was time.  Also, that team had no where near the talent the team of the early 90's had.  And Jim Kelly was one of the benefactors of all that talent.  And the comment on Tasker.  Kelly always said Tasker could get open with anyone covering him.  So playing him may not have been the big drop off you say it was.

One thing Kelly preserved is the image of himself as a all-time great QB.  If he stuck around another year I would probably have the same image of him as I do of Jack Kemp.

You seem to forget your two year campaign here on how great RJ was.  Guess that didn't work out.

When they signed Bledoe, it was the same thing. You said it was one of the greatest moves the Bills ever made. Now you tell us that didn't work out.

Maybe you should quit promoting JP.  You may be some kind of QB curse.

132776[/snapback]

Bull stevestojan, bull stevestojan and bull stevestojan. I NEVER said the bledsoe trade was great. NEVER. I also said 'give RJ a shot and see how he does' They did, he sucked and I promptly called for his removal.

Guest RLflutie
The #1 defense that you are talking about was one of the worst on third down.

Plus, Pendry was too consevative on offense in 1999. Inside the 20, the Bills often ran three running plays and kicked the field goal.

Christie was great that year (99). As he hit clutch FG after clutch FG. But Flutie was great considering he didn't have Moulds for part of the year and Reed just didn't have it any more.

Running back A. Smith was a non factor and Flutie contriubuted a lot of yards in rushing.

Kind of like Vick does now. Does he suck? Yes he does in some ways and no he doesn't in other ways.

What's your thoughts on Vick? I'm dying to know.

132872[/snapback]

BTW: Where's Rob "I'm a homo" Johnson now. He's not in the league is he. Has he taken a snap all year?

Flutie has. At least he's on a roster.