Obama pledges 8B for nuclear power plant

TheMadCap

Brothers and Sisters, BROTHERS AND SISTERS PLEASE!!!!!

Can we keep the bitching on topic for once? All bitching in this thread must be about Nuks or no Nuks. Thanks!

LOL! :thumbsup:

Actually, I think we are nearly unanimous in our support? Could this be, for the first time in PPP history? Does anyone think this is a bad idea????

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't the GM shareholders have to give up the remaining value of their shares if they would gone through restructuring privately?

Thanks for clearing up the information about the banks. So how would you respond to people who state that the banks have paid back their loans? Besides stating they weren't loans.

Yes, the shareholders were going to be wiped out no matter what. Bondholders on the other hand got a raw deal and at one point were demonized by the Obama administration for not giving in so easily, when in reality they shouldn't of had to, but in fear of government reprisal they caved in to the Unions, who of course had the backing of the W.H.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=awCyiNlvcfUA

General Motors Corp. may be more likely to end up in bankruptcy based on the Obama administration’s willingness to place Chrysler LLC into court protection to safeguard union health-care benefits.

“This confirms the fear, which right along has been that the Obama administration is more sensitive or beholden to the unions than the bondholders,” Fridson said. “It makes it clear that GM bondholders aren’t likely to be able to work out anything outside of bankruptcy.”

‘Labor’s Interest’

The bondholders shouldn’t be surprised that the unions are getting preference over investors in an Obama administration, Egan said.

“If the government is providing money to these entities, they’re going to be looking out for labor’s interest first and foremost,” he said.

“ You may claim it’s unfair, but that’s the political reality and the time and cost of suing the federal government is prohibitive in most cases.”

The government was more likely to get its way in Chrysler because a majority of lenders were already supportive of the U.S. offer for their debt, said Mirko Mikelic, who helps manage $19 billion at Fifth Third Asset Management in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Mikelic dumped GM debt last year and still manages some debt in GMAC LLC, the automaker’s former finance unit. There seems to be little likelihood of a similar majority agreement at GM, he said.

The longer the GM bondholders have held out, the worse the offers have gotten, according to Egan.

“You’re better off acting early,” he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9052502135.html

Yes, the shareholders were going to be wiped out no matter what. Bondholders on the other hand got a raw deal and at one point were demonized by the Obama administration for not giving in so easily, when in reality they shouldn't of had to, but in fear of government reprisal they caved in to the Unions, who of course had the backing of the W.H.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=awCyiNlvcfUA

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9052502135.html

I wouldn't blame the unions for this one. Granted they came out of in pretty good shape, however they were raked through the coals throughout the whole process.

Brothers and Sisters, BROTHERS AND SISTERS PLEASE!!!!!

Can we keep the bitching on topic for once? All bitching in this thread must be about Nuks or no Nuks. Thanks!

LOL! :thumbsup:

Actually, I think we are nearly unanimous in our support? Could this be, for the first time in PPP history? Does anyone think this is a bad idea????

:unsure:

It is all about the environoment nuts... Doesn't have to be just about nukes. The common theme should be slaying the enviro hysteria especially when it comes to energy and transportation.

Even know I hate Toyota... I still root for the Japanese on "Whale Wars."

I wouldn't blame the unions for this one. Granted they came out of in pretty good shape, however they were raked through the coals throughout the whole process.

bull ****. The UAW was handed, gratis and using public money, a huge chunk of a major American company at the considerable expense of senior creditors.

I wish I could be "raked over the coals" that badly.

bull ****. The UAW was handed, gratis and using public money, a huge chunk of a major American company at the considerable expense of senior creditors.

I wish I could be "raked over the coals" that badly.

They were racked over the coals during that process. How they made out the way they did shocked me and everyone I know. I am sure the politicians came up with some sort of plan that included doing that for their endorsement in the next election.

They were racked over the coals during that process. How they made out the way they did shocked me and everyone I know. I am sure the politicians came up with some sort of plan that included doing that for their endorsement in the next election.

If you look closely you'll see it's the non-union employees that got the bigger burns.

the only one's who will be against this idea is the bat-**** crazy looney left.

Or some crazy person from the right who won't want to spend the money.

Or maybe somebody who's not entirely comfortable with the fact that over a quarter of our nuclear plants are currently leaking toxic carcinogens into the ground.

You know, those crazy people who don't want to get cancer from a glass of water.

Or maybe somebody who's not entirely comfortable with the fact that over a quarter of our nuclear plants are currently leaking toxic carcinogens into the ground.

You know, those crazy people who don't want to get cancer from a glass of water.

Just active plants, or decomissioned plants as well? What types of toxins and carcinogens? More or less than coal or oil-fired plants? And how big a glass of water - I mean, is it one small glass, or maybe three or four big glasses, or maybe you need to drink a couple of pitchers of glow-in-the-dark lemonade over the course of a week?

It's been thirty years, things have changed.

I've read the pros and cons, regarding the environmental issues and from what I've read, they can successfully split a uranium atom without you having to worry about getting brain cancer. So ya, I'm ok with it.

Just active plants, or decomissioned plants as well?

Does it matter?

What types of toxins and carcinogens?

Tritium. You know that stuff in your glow in the dark watch? How much money would it take to get you to suck the juice out of one of those? Or put it in Junior's Gerber's?

More or less than coal or oil-fired plants?

You know damned well it's a result of fission.

And again does it really matter? Coal may be worse overall but if a significant number of nuke plants are already leaking toxins in high enough concentrations to raise NRC flags, is this really the alternative we want to pour resources into?

And how big a glass of water - I mean, is it one small glass, or maybe three or four big glasses, or maybe you need to drink a couple of pitchers of glow-in-the-dark lemonade over the course of a week?

I don't know. You want to find out?

It's been thirty years, things have changed.

I've read the pros and cons, regarding the environmental issues and from what I've read, they can successfully split a uranium atom without you having to worry about getting brain cancer. So ya, I'm ok with it.

Ooooooh 30 years. Whats the half-life of various plutonium and uranium isotopes? You're going to need an exponent. 30 years. Give me a break.

Those are awful big stakes you're ok with. And what's the upside here? Producing enough power so that a bunch of lazy spoiled marshmallows can sit in their 78 degree houses in February, leave their lights on all day, run their AC all night and have street lights every 100 feet.

Yeah, pouring poisons into our air and water is definitely worth it for all that.

Does it matter?

Yes. You think there's no difference between an operational, maintained plant and a deactivated one?

Tritium. You know that stuff in your glow in the dark watch? How much money would it take to get you to suck the juice out of one of those? Or put it in Junior's Gerber's?

Actually, glow-in-the-dark watches don't use tritium any more. It's also not toxic, and only a minor radiation hazard. If your biggest worry is tritium in the ground water, you are leading a truly charmged life.

You know damned well it's a result of fission.

I knew no such thing, because you were exceedingly non-specific about "toxins" released by nuclear plants. For I knew, you were talking about PCBs leaking from oil-based transformers, or lead contamination from unmaintained shielding.

And again does it really matter? Coal may be worse overall but if a significant number of nuke plants are already leaking toxins in high enough concentrations to raise NRC flags, is this really the alternative we want to pour resources into?

What a truly idiotic set of statements. Following up "does it really matter?" with "coal may be worse overall" is a clear statement by you that it DOES really matter.

I don't know. You want to find out?

You don't know...but you'll still make bald statements of "fact" despite your admitted ignorance? Conner, is that you?