An Alternative to a New Stadium for Buffalo

Got_Wood

Go the route of the Packers when they upgraded Lambeau Field. Take the existing stadium, and make it a place where people visit in the offseason. Make it a theme park / museum of sorts. A statue of Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi stand outside the stadium like ghosts as visitors frequent the stadium year round. The stadium tours, Packers team gear stores, restaurants, and bars in the new Field House attached to the stadium make it a place you can bring your family for a day of fun. This would increase the revenue the stadium brings in by a big number.

Quote from Lambeau Field website (http://www.lambeaufield.com/stadium_info/history/):

Revenue generated from the Packers Pro Shop, Packers Hall of Fame, Curly's Pub, the Atrium eateries and other restaurants, the stadium club and special events, as well as other Atrium businesses is essential to the Packers' long-term survival. In just the first year, with only the new Pro Shop open and several gate sponsorships sold, the Packers' NFL revenue ranking for the fiscal year 2002-03 jumped to 10th, up from 20th the prior year.

If you want the Bills to stay in Buffalo, this may be one of the only options. And a much cheaper option than building a whole new stadium. This is what a "Lambeau Stadium Redo" might look like in Buffalo:

http://i48.tinypic.com/w6wrjr.jpg

or

http://i45.tinypic.com/10qko4m.jpg (Alternative with more 300 level seating)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go the route of the Packers when they upgraded Lambeau Field. Take the existing stadium, and make it a place where people visit in the offseason. Make it a theme park / museum of sorts. A statue of Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi stand outside the stadium like ghosts as visitors frequent the stadium year round. The stadium tours, Packers team gear stores, restaurants, and bars in the new Field House attached to the stadium make it a place you can bring your family for a day of fun. This would increase the revenue the stadium brings in by a big number. If you want the Bills to stay in Buffalo, this may be one of the only options. And a much cheaper option than building a whole new stadium. This is what a "Lambeau Stadium Redo" might look like in Buffalo:

We already 'upgraded' the ralph. it is old and it sucks

We already 'upgraded' the ralph. it is old and it sucks

The "redo" wasn't enough. Take a look at the picture I attached and you'll see the difference. The Ralph is still bare bones in terms of the revenue they can bring in for team gear, food, and alcohol. Particularly in the offseason as well. This kind of construction would change that. Not just a few new luxury boxes and a big screen TV. It's a full on make over.

I think your "redo" is a realistic option and worth considering. Lambeau is a differant animal though. The "ownwers" are the Fans and the locals so naturally they will support the facility. Even when they sucked, the stadium was full! It was full of unhappy Cheeseheads, but still full

People can talk all they want about a "new" stadium but bottom line is where would the funding come from?

I'd like a new Lexus, even one with a "sticky" gas pedal, but it ain't happenin because I CAN'T AFFORD IT!

The property owners are already maxed out, and if you ask them, they're paying a whole lot of money for very little services.

The Corportate sponsors are scarce. M&T Bank put their name in Baltimore????? HSBC is already hooked up with the Sabres. JetBlue has their name up but they're likely moving their corporate HQ to Orlando, to get away from the high NY Taxes.

If you take "Stimulus Money," which seems to be a myth, we'll end up with bare bones low quality crap because so many contractors & union bosses will take their cuts before a shovel is turned anywhere.

So that brings us back to "redo" and it may be a viable option.

Go the route of the Packers when they upgraded Lambeau Field. Take the existing stadium, and make it a place where people visit in the offseason. Make it a theme park / museum of sorts. A statue of Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi stand outside the stadium like ghosts as visitors frequent the stadium year round. The stadium tours, Packers team gear stores, restaurants, and bars in the new Field House attached to the stadium make it a place you can bring your family for a day of fun. This would increase the revenue the stadium brings in by a big number. If you want the Bills to stay in Buffalo, this may be one of the only options. And a much cheaper option than building a whole new stadium. This is what a "Lambeau Stadium Redo" might look like in Buffalo:

While I love the passion my personal dream differs (but is based on the same premise)... a stadium build out of Buffalo Central Terminal...

You are a ray of sunshine. :w00t:

I love the Ralph, yah it's not fancy, but great place to watch a game.

And when the vans / trucks drive away with the Bills to a new city, maybe some of the sentimental fans can still gather on sundays there and tailgate and talk about the old days?

If the Bills stay in Buffalo its because there is a new stadium and fans are paying prices for tickets etc more on par with the rest of the NFL.

And when the vans / trucks drive away with the Bills to a new city, maybe some of the sentimental fans can still gather on sundays there and tailgate and talk about the old days?

If the Bills stay in Buffalo its because there is a new stadium and fans are paying prices for tickets etc more on par with the rest of the NFL.

Please stop posting nonsense...you are an idiot

I think your "redo" is a realistic option and worth considering. Lambeau is a differant animal though. The "ownwers" are the Fans and the locals so naturally they will support the facility. Even when they sucked, the stadium was full! It was full of unhappy Cheeseheads, but still full

People can talk all they want about a "new" stadium but bottom line is where would the funding come from?

I'd like a new Lexus, even one with a "sticky" gas pedal, but it ain't happenin because I CAN'T AFFORD IT!

The property owners are already maxed out, and if you ask them, they're paying a whole lot of money for very little services.

The Corportate sponsors are scarce. M&T Bank put their name in Baltimore????? HSBC is already hooked up with the Sabres. JetBlue has their name up but they're likely moving their corporate HQ to Orlando, to get away from the high NY Taxes.

If you take "Stimulus Money," which seems to be a myth, we'll end up with bare bones low quality crap because so many contractors & union bosses will take their cuts before a shovel is turned anywhere.

So that brings us back to "redo" and it may be a viable option.

Thank you for the realistic view of the Bills situation. I personally think the "redo" is better for the fans and the bottom line. And yes, the ownership is different with the Packers. They were able to move their project forward with the fans in mind, because they're owned by fans. But Buffalo is a similar city in that the Bills are a huge part of their culture and livelihood. Just as the Packers love Brett Favre (not as much recently) and Reggie White, and grasp on to the history of the team behind Lambeau and Lombardi... the Bills fans love Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith, and hold the history of the team behind Levy and Wilson dear in their hearts.

The Ralph can become a monument of sorts. A tribute to the history of a team that has played such a huge part in the lives of Western New Yorkers. If you've ever visited Lambeau field, you would know what I mean. And I believe the Ralph can be that same place for the fans of Buffalo.

Thank you for the realistic view of the Bills situation. I personally think the "redo" is better for the fans and the bottom line. And yes, the ownership is different with the Packers. They were able to move their project forward with the fans in mind, because they're owned by fans. But Buffalo is a similar city in that the Bills are a huge part of their culture and livelihood. Just as the Packers love Brett Favre (not as much recently) and Reggie White, and grasp on to the history of the team behind Lambeau and Lombardi... the Bills fans love Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith, and hold the history of the team behind Levy and Wilson dear in their hearts.

The Ralph can become a monument of sorts. A tribute to the history of a team that has played such a huge part in the lives of Western New Yorkers. If you've ever visited Lambeau field, you would know what I mean. And I believe the Ralph can be that same place for the fans of Buffalo.

Would be cool if there was a kind of "AFL museum" included in a large clubhouse/history building.

The truth of it is that the Ralph can be redone and higher ticket prices can be charged that put Bills ticket prices on par with the rest of the NFL. Or the Ralph can stay just like it is and ticket prices can be raised to be on par with the rest of the NFL. Soldier Field was also redone. The Ralph has plenty of room to be redone, especially on the outside. And it would be cheaper than a new stadium. I'm all for a new stadium, but where do you believe the money will come from?

Since Ralphtastic's biggest accomplishments were keeping the AFL alive and the merger, that should be in a Bills museum. Maybe showing him handing a check to Bootlegger Sullivan of the Patriots would be good material to include as well. And giving the Raiders money to survive as well.

:thumbsup:

Could give a focus to each of the original AFL teams... with an obvious larger amount of material on the Bills, focusing on the 64-65 championship teams... maybe have profiles of various players on display at times... Kemp, Gilchrist, Sestak, etc. Maybe take some cues from the Bills display at the Historical Society.

How about including a history of building the stadium too? Show the progress made from 1971 and onward. "Relentless" has a few pictures of it.

I didn't get a chance to get up to the display for the 50th anniversary (is that still up?) but a museum would be a great idea. The area is crazy about this team. Even have some players make autograph appearances, and other such events.

This is a great idea!! I love it!! It makes sense to me, and it doesn't involve moving vans or a roof!!