Donahoe/Greg Williams wanted Brees

Craiger93

Just heard on Sirius NFL radio an interview with Greg Williams. They were talking about Drew Brees and Williams said Tom Donahoe and he tried to get Brees up in Buffalo, but SD ending up getting him.

Its too late for me to do any research on this. Just wondering who Donahoe/Williams got instead of Brees?

Anybody??

Just heard on Sirius NFL radio an interview with Greg Williams. They were talking about Drew Brees and Williams said Tom Donahoe and he tried to get Brees up in Buffalo, but SD ending up getting him.

Its too late for me to do any research on this. Just wondering who Donahoe/Williams got instead of Brees?

Anybody??

Anybody??

Nobody. The story goes, they tried to trade up to the top of the second round, but couldn't find any takers. Instead, SD got him with the 32nd overall pick.

Anybody??

so sick of Greggy trying to take credit for Drew Breed being successful. He has nothing to do with Brees.

It's always amusing to me to see the people who think a specific player's progression on one team would be exactly duplicated were he to play for a different team. People who ought to know better apparently think the real world operates like Madden.

If Brees had been picked by Buffalo, he probably would've been out of the league 4 years ago. That's what this franchise does to QBs post-Kelly. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Okay they wanted 1 good player but still drafted how many ****ty players??????

So in that same year they had to chose between Flutie and RJ. The choose RJ yet they wanted Brees. They may have liked Brees but I have to call BS on this. You want Brees so bad. You take him in the first round keep Flutie instead of playing the lets get value game with draft picks. Marv wanted Brett Favre too apparently but we already had Jimbo... blah blah blah.. If they were all so SURE they would have made the pick earlier... I bet someone wanted Tom Brady in the 5th round as well but didnt pull the trigger.

Listen I believe that the Bills brass wanted Benny Boy in Pittsburgh. They tried trading with everyone before he was taken with no luck. Having a chance and passing... Well. Then shut up about it. Plus Brees would have been run out of Buffalo years before getting it as a QB. Hell SD ran him out and picked Rivers because they were so frustrated witH Brees...

It's always amusing to me to see the people who think a specific player's progression on one team would be exactly duplicated were he to play for a different team. People who ought to know better apparently think the real world operates like Madden.

If Brees had been picked by Buffalo, he probably would've been out of the league 4 years ago. That's what this franchise does to QBs post-Kelly. Sorry, but it's the truth.

I tend to agree to a point, should Williams have gotten fired even with Brees as QB, Brees wasn't that great his first few years. My thinking is that Mularkey could have developed Brees instead of drafting Losman and everything might have been different.

Then again, If only Tom Donahoe had drafted Ben Rothlisberger, the guy he really wanted and settled for Losman.

Good point...look what Losman did after leaving the Bills, he won a championship!

Anybody??

It's funny too, how this has never come up anywhere before - until this post-season. Gregg is such a B.S.er and a wind-bag. If they really wanted Brees, they would have taken him instead of Clements. If memory serves, Brees was predicted to be a 1st rounder, and SD got him with the 1st pick of the 2nd.

I'm happy for the Saints, but not for "The Mouth that Roared" Gregggggggggggggggg.

By the way, this subject came up before the game, and I did a little research:

Gregggg Williams, following the NFL combine the year Brees came out:

"As coaches, we stood up there in the stands, and we'd check off a negative here and a negative there on each and every player that comes through there. As I watched the quarterbacks work out there this past week, I constantly was looking at who was over there that was better than Rob Johnson ...

"We got the right guy for this offense. He can make all the throws."

--Shout! magazine, March 2001

Good point...look what Losman did after leaving the Bills, he won a championship!

Let me clarify: I am not a blind follower of any QB who's come through here. After so many games, they need to produce or at least show progression.

The point is that it's something about the Bills franchise & fanbase that kills QBs. Whether it's getting a QB not fit for the system; one who's too inexperienced and not being able to develop them; not getting them a serviceable OL; getting a QB who's past his prime; having a long string of OC who, even if they are good scheme designers and play-callers, are handcuffed by either lack of talent or ordered to be lackluster; or are undercut by coach, GM and/or owner.

The problem is systemic. For one reason or other, or a combination of all, QBs don't succeed here. And it would take the second coming of Kelly to solidify QB or the Offense in general.

Bills fans would have hated Brees if he was here. Despite what a lot of people are saying and remembering, he really wasn't all that good in SD. A lot of the time he was terrible. Given our line troubles, coaching carousel and WR problems in those years, I see extremely little chance of Brees succeeding or lasting more than 3 years in Buffalo.

Bills fans would have hated Brees if he was here. Despite what a lot of people are saying and remembering, he really wasn't all that good in SD. A lot of the time he was terrible. Given our line troubles, coaching carousel and WR problems in those years, I see extremely little chance of Brees succeeding or lasting more than 3 years in Buffalo.

Valid point. First time Brees played at the Ralph, he was benched. For Flutie. My, how times change ...

By the way, this subject came up before the game, and I did a little research:

Outstanding work Lori! I knew Greggo was full of it with his 20/20 hindsight but to find written evidence of it is too much. I know the guy has a SB ring now and he did do a very good job with his game plan, but I just can't stand his arrogance. Capable assistant but a lousy HC.

Anybody??

This is old news.

This topic came up when Williams was interviewed this past season when the Saints came to Buffalo.

Williams said that both he and Donahoe wanted Brees, and were planning on selecting him in the 2nd round. San Diego ended picking him a couple of picks ahead of the Bills.

If I am not mistaken, the Bills took Nate Clements #1 and Schobel #2 (?).

Williams then went on to say that he would probably still be in Buffalo if they had gotten Brees.

My comments were to the effect of can you imagine how differently our team could have looked?

We wasted approximately 3 1st round picks on trying to find a QB this decade. The Losman pick, the trade to New England for Bledsoe, and if they pick a QB in the 1st round this year. Brees would have eliminated atleast 2 of those 3, and if those 2 had been used on a LT or RT, LB...we would be in a totally different boat.

It may have even had us taking a RB before Lynch, perhaps another WR to complement Evans, a pass rushing DE...the potential is endless.

Combine that with selecting Ngata instead of Whitner, and all of a sudden the Bills are looking a whole lot meaner. Ngata would help me to forget about Pat Williams.

The Bills have been a cluster this past decade because the people calling the shots don't know what they are doing. The Bills have been effectively chasing their tail since Butler, Smith, Ferguson, and Nix left. They take 1 step forward and then 2 steps back.

Here's to hoping the Nix regime will change the trend and soon. :thumbsup:

so sick of Greggy trying to take credit for Drew Breed being successful. He has nothing to do with Brees.

That's a great point, actually.

And for how much he focused on building an awesome 'D', Williams and Donahoe probably would have done something stupid had they even gotten Brees.

Like draft another Mike Williams or something...

Anybody??

Who gives a rat's behind about this? Ain't you heard, we're gettin Donovan shaves with ... *CHUNKY SOOOOOOUUUUP* McNabb

I think the interesting question to ask is do you think Brees would have made it here... he had a mediocre (at best) 3 seasons before he broke out in his fourth season...

I have to think we would have given up on him after his third no so hot season... maybe that is the lesson to be learned from the Brees experience?

:unsure: