Honestly, what is everyone expecting for 2011?

What will be our fate this coming season?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What will be our fate this coming season?

• Miss playoffs, top 10 draft pick in 2011
    • Miss playoffs, barely, future looks bright
    • Sneak into playoffs, shouldn't have
    • Look out AFC East, the Bills are BACK!

Everytime I keep reading the forum posts I see suggestions for this QB that QB...develop this player...keep this one...draft for the future...draft a NFL-ready OT

I am curious to find out what everyone thinks is really going to happen next year...

I think once we figure that out, we will know how we should proceed with the draft/free agency/trades/cuts

For example, if we are in rebuilding mode (I dont think we are) we better not brign in a guy like McNabb to horde snaps from developing qbs (Brohm)...

Or, if we're going to make a legit run for the playoffs, then we shouldn't draft Clausen/Bradford, unless we think they are second coming of Ben Roethlisberger and his excellent rookie season...

Everytime I keep reading the forum posts I see suggestions for this QB that QB...develop this player...keep this one...draft for the future...draft a NFL-ready OT

I am curious to find out what everyone thinks is really going to happen next year...

I think once we figure that out, we will know how we should proceed with the draft/free agency/trades/cuts

For example, if we are in rebuilding mode (I dont think we are) we better not brign in a guy like McNabb to horde snaps from developing qbs (Brohm)...

Or, if we're going to make a legit run for the playoffs, then we shouldn't draft Clausen/Bradford, unless we think they are second coming of Ben Roethlisberger and his excellent rookie season...

I'm a numbers guy and 50% (only 4 votes though), this we will miss playoffs and draft in the top 10 in 2011...

We need more votes! to get a better idea of what this forum thinks

I'm a numbers guy and 50% (only 4 votes though), this we will miss playoffs and draft in the top 10 in 2011...

We need more votes! to get a better idea of what this forum thinks

Need another choice:

"barely miss the playoffs due to injuries. end up with mediocre draft pick, somewhere around 8-9."

There are way to many "If's" to really give this thread much consideration so I will be more brief than normal! The Bills have to first make sure they have their staff set before moving on. They have to formulate a plan for the draft and seeing that D. Whaley just got here from Pittsburgh they have a way's to go on that front. Then they have to draft and do better than they have in over a decade if they want to make an impact, they also have to find a QB in either FA or the Draft, but I think they need to use both sources and find two! They need to dump T. Edwards for far too many reasons than I feel like explaining tonight. Then they have to decide if they want to keep Brohm or Fitzy for their number # 2 or #3 spot. They need to get a OT high in the draft for the left side or find a quality FA if there are any available. They desperately need to find or draft a space eating DT or NT. They need another LB, and probably a WR. They have a few other needs and need to get more depth in several positions as well. The Bills need a hard nosed approach to training camp! No soft days, No taking off on Fridays! They need to practice a lot more outside in the elements during the season. They need to stop woosing out on the coin toss and take the ball when they win the toss...It's part of being aggressive not passive..."You play to win the game"... I believe they may have to dump Marshawn Lynch and if Roscoe Parrish wants to be elsewhere send him packing...I didn't have too much problem (yet) with T.O. but a few less drops and better effort when the pass isn't pretty would be appreciated when your the " six million dollar man" ! Well this is short for me...and if the Bills do most of these things I can see 8 - 8 record next season...but it is way too early to prognosticate the future. Go Bills !!!

A team that barely misses the playoffs can still be in rebuilding mode. Take the Bills of 2006--they achieved a 7-9 record, but had a ton of weaknesses on that team. And no core of solid, young players to create long-term potential for the future. If you string together a lot of victories with guys like Larry Triplett, Robert Royal, and Donte Whitner, it's not going to serve as a stepping stone to anything more. A team like that has a very low ceiling.

This team is still in rebuilding mode, because very few building blocks were added under Marv's tenure. Let's look at the younger players who represent long-term answers at their respective positions:

OL: Wood, Levitre

RB: Fred Jackson (except that he's getting on in years)

QB: nobody

WR: Lee Evans

TE: Nelson (maybe)

DL: Kyle Williams

LB: Poz

Secondary: everyone

Except for the defensive secondary, there aren't a lot of names on that list! No quarterback, no left tackle, no #1 WR, no defensive linemen not named Kyle Williams, only one LB. Most of those positions are hard to fill!! Getting a good QB, a good LT, a good RDE, a good #1 WR, or a good NT is typically going to require a first round pick. This team's problem isn't just the number of holes it has--which is considerable--it's that the holes tend to be at the hardest to fill, most premium positions.

I kind of had to vote for sneak into the playoffs, but don't think it would necessarily be a "shouldn't have" situation. I am giving Gailey the benefit of the doubt to fix the offensive line. I've always maintained that we would be pretty good if we fixed that line and hold by that position. I also think he'll be adding something to the run defense, maybe even going to a 3-4 but that would pretty much tie up our draft or free agency situation. I think the potential is there to be a major improvement.

I'm not necessarily expecting too much from the present coaching group, but I've got to give the benefit of the doubt and believe they will address the most obvious problems first and foremost with the available resources, the draft, free agency and judicious trades while keeping the better players that we already have in the fold.

I may not be as old as some of the fans on this board, but I started to watch the Bills in 1986 -- when they started to put things together. It took several years for things to fall into place, but, there is definitely a gut feeling that I'm getting that the moves they have made so far, from Gailey down to DeHaven are the right ones. Player moves are next -- and this draft will be paramount -- but, even at 6-10, we do have some players... more than the Browns, Rams, Jaguars, and several other teams we seem to be getting lumped with.

What I love the most about all of this is the Gailey hiring. I've been a Gailey fan for years... he could make any QB look good, but give him a Sam Bradford, McNabb or someone who can actually become elite, then you'll see how talented a coach he really is.

An actual coach will make a huge difference. IF they can bring in a capable vet QB like a Thigpen playoffs are certainly right there

Sorry i dont see the appeal of thigpen. Ya Gailey coached him but that was because they had no one else. We have better options than thigpen clausen bradford or mccoy or pike are far and away more tlented and we have our choice of at least 3 of them

I was going to vote Sneak into playoffs, until I saw the shouldn't have thing. What does that mean? That's just silly. If you make the playoffs, how could someone who was not as good, by league rules, deserve the playoffs more? So, I picked lookout AFC East, the Bills are back, which of course we will be.