So what is going to the 3-4 going to do to Jarius Byrd

Hmmmmmmmm

I know im new here, but i simply dont get the confusion over defensive schemes on this board. Most of you (the writer of this post included) know A LOT about football but it seems get caught up in the name of a scheme, instead of actually looking at the plays run..... just scared by our last coaching staff i guess.

As it turns out 3-4 doesnt equal blitz happy and man coverage all over the field. You can run a 3-4 cover 2 as well. Sadly if we switch straight to 3-4 without a major personell overhaul it will likely resemble a 3-3-5 nickel if a nic harris or scott fill in as one of the extra linebackers (ie 5 dbs, 3 lbs, and 3 lineman) .... we will see what we sign and draft to bulk up the front 7

also, if we go to man instead of zone, it doesnt mean that safeties will be playing straight man coverage all the time... probably still rare in fact. he will likely be in a similar situation, with just some tweaks in how he reads the play in front of him.

I know im new here, but i simply dont get the confusion over defensive schemes on this board. Most of you (the writer of this post included) know A LOT about football but it seems get caught up in the name of a scheme, instead of actually looking at the plays run..... just scared by our last coaching staff i guess.

As it turns out 3-4 doesnt equal blitz happy and man coverage all over the field. You can run a 3-4 cover 2 as well. Sadly if we switch straight to 3-4 without a major personell overhaul it will likely resemble a 3-3-5 nickel if a nic harris or scott fill in as one of the extra linebackers (ie 5 dbs, 3 lbs, and 3 lineman) .... we will see what we sign and draft to bulk up the front 7

also, if we go to man instead of zone, it doesnt mean that safeties will be playing straight man coverage all the time... probably still rare in fact. he will likely be in a similar situation, with just some tweaks in how he reads the play in front of him.

The problem is we dont know what the defense is going to look like until they actually put it on the field......running a cover 2 and a 3-4 seems like the way to go to me......mainly because I want to see our actual playmakers be in a position to MAKE PLAYS.....Bird is not a particulary fast safety. He just has a natural instinct and feel for where the ball is going and puts himself in a position to make a play....and has wonderful hands.

I keep hearing though that you can run a 3-4 without a true NT.....I really hope we dont try and do that...you NEED that big fatty in the middle tying up two guys so LB's are free to flow to the ball.

I think this turns the Byrdman into a more playmaking ball hawk than last year. Opposing qbs knew where this guy was going to be on the field most of the time. This 3-4(which makes me more excited than any free agent addition or draft pick) will cause more qbs to think more before throwing it against us. Jairus was playing deep middle the whole game. Thats all he did. I see him all over the field but still playing deep center ala Ed Reed.

The 3 - 4 and 4 - 3 defenses can be run with any secondary configuration.

Since we have no idea what secondary scheme we will run, it's way too early to know what will happen with Byrd. Heck, we don't even know how much 3 - 4 we'll be running, as it'll be dependent on personnel. Way too early to worry about it. Way too early to know, or even guess.

Well said and welcome. He'll play centerfield like last year.

Can we please get away from interchanging fronts with the type of pass defense we play? We, like EVERY team in the league will play Cover-2 zone much of the time. Regardless of the front we use. Byrd stands to get better if we can apply more pressure via ANY front, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!