The 3-4 Defense is Here

My dream 3-4

Johnson - Wilfork - Stroud

Poz - Mitchell - McClain - Maybin

That would be a FORMIDABLE group to block. Maybin coming off the edge the way Bryce Paup used to would be freaking frightening for opposing QB's!

This is more like it.... I like poz outside..... Donno if Wilfork is realistic, but, never know

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was just thinking since Edwards has coached Spikes his whole career at Florida that he may put in a good word, I'm sure they all ready have a good relationship.

Edwards was hired by Florida a month ago. It's quite probable he's never even met Spikes.

Well I was just thinking since Edwards has coached Spikes his whole career at Florida that he may put in a good word, I'm sure they all ready have a good relationship.

I thought Edwards was with Florida for 3 weeks? Basically just stayed for recruiting season.

QB is important. The problem is is that people seem to have lost their minds and have COMPLETELY forgotten that we have several VERY serviceable options for QB in RFA and UFA. Some of these options could instantly make us more dangerous on offense.

Which UFAs? Garcia? Meh. I'll be interested once he's 10 years younger. I can't think of anyone else.

As for RFAs, I assume you're talking about Orton and Campbell. First off, either may well be tendered at the 2nd-round level or higher (it would actually be cheaper for WAS to tender Campbell at a 1st-rounder, because he was drafted in the 1st), which is way too much to give up for a journeyman type. Okay, Orton is Trent Edwards if Trent could actually play, but who cares? What's our realistic upside with Orton or Campbell at QB? 9-7? Maybe 10-6 or 11-5 with a stacked defense? Well, our D isn't going to be stacked any time soon, especially with a scheme change that creates new holes on D. If one of these journeyman guys would give us an extra 3 wins, we're talking about the difference between 5-11 and 8-8. Who cares?

I think we can forget about the qb in the draft . The Bills have two big needs Left tackle and nose tackle

I have seen stoud mentioned at possible n.t , I am not sure that is based in reality. Anyone think stoud can man the middle ?

Which UFAs? Garcia? Meh. I'll be interested once he's 10 years younger. I can't think of anyone else.

As for RFAs, I assume you're talking about Orton and Campbell. First off, either may well be tendered at the 2nd-round level or higher (it would actually be cheaper for WAS to tender Campbell at a 1st-rounder, because he was drafted in the 1st), which is way too much to give up for a journeyman type. Okay, Orton is Trent Edwards if Trent could actually play, but who cares? What's our realistic upside with Orton or Campbell at QB? 9-7? Maybe 10-6 or 11-5 with a stacked defense? Well, our D isn't going to be stacked any time soon, especially with a scheme change that creates new holes on D. If one of these journeyman guys would give us an extra 3 wins, we're talking about the difference between 5-11 and 8-8. Who cares?

The qb situation is ugly. The draft is weak , the Fa options are a joke , which is the reason for the Vick chatter . He might be the best of a bad lot.

Keep an eye on these 4 names in free agency: Aubrayo Franklin, Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and Jamal Williams(could be cut and signed as a stop gap). Then target Cody and Dan Williams in the 2nd round for the 2nd wave.

The 49ers franchised Franklin last year and wouldn't be shocked if do it again this year. Wilfolk will be a RFA unless a salary cap is implemented and even so could get the franchise tag from the Pats. Hampton might be available as the Steelers might be looking to get younger at the position. Williams has seen better days and should be available but have to wonder what's in the tank. Some other guys who have played NT in 3-4s that should be on the UFA landscape are Richard Seymour (though if the Radiers don't put some kind of tag on him they're in trouble) Jason Ferguson, Ryan Pickett and Bryan Robinson.

The 49ers franchised Franklin last year and wouldn't be shocked if do it again this year. Wilfolk will be a RFA unless a salary cap is implemented and even so could get the franchise tag from the Pats. Hampton might be available as the Steelers might be looking to get younger at the position. Williams has seen better days and should be available but have to wonder what's in the tank. Some other guys who have played NT in 3-4s that should be on the UFA landscape are Richard Seymour (though if the Radiers don't put some kind of tag on him they're in trouble) Jason Ferguson, Ryan Pickett and Bryan Robinson.

Wilfork is a UFA, the result of being a six year veteran. I suspect NE will franchise him and possibly trade him, a la GB dealing Corey Williams to the Browns in 08.

Finding a 3-4 NT will cost a lot, either in the draft or via FA. With no less than 13 teams running that defense, competition will be stiff for guys who can play that all important position. I don't see Pickett being re-signed, but he'll get a lot of attention on the market.

An abrupt switch to a 3-4 makes no sense from an on-field performance perspective. the bills have a unique group of players acquired specifically to play the 4-3 read and react cover-2. A carefully planned transiition to a 3-4 would make sense to be implemented only after the proper building blocks are actually acquired, such as a stud NT.

The more likely explanation for an abrupt change to a 3-4 under a DC who has never orchestrated a 3-4 is that it will provide sufficient smoke screen to explain the gutting of the over-priced defensive line who clearly won't fit the 3-4 scheme. Expect Schobel, Denney, Kelsay and Stroud to not be on the roster much longer, but much more cash to be in Ralph's vault.

The coaching staff full of "teachers" will have their hands full trying to compete with young cheap replacements. sort of like the challenge Kugler had last year in trying to protect the QB after having his OL gutted before the season.

Without a salary cap floor, there is no telling how low Ralph will take the payroll. in Brandon's prior life, the Marlin's typically operated with a payroll under $15 mil while the yankees were at $200 mil.

Anyone remember all the complaining people used to do about the Bills 3-4 defense back in the Super Bowl days? Everyone insisted that they had to change to a 4-3. It went on for years!

I think they need a scheme that takes uses the players they have to the best advantage, whatever that might be.

I think the best way to help this defense is to have an offense that is viable. An offense that gives the defense a reason to think the team might be have a chance to put some points on the board, and a reason to play inspired football.

Defense is fueled by emotion, and this team had none after the first game, because they knew they didn't really have a shot.

The offense was a joke, and has been for as long as any guy on the defense has been with the team.

Keep an eye on these 4 names in free agency: Aubrayo Franklin, Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and Jamal Williams(could be cut and signed as a stop gap). Then target Cody and Dan Williams in the 2nd round for the 2nd wave.

Great post. the key to the 3-4 is the nose tackle. no other position is as important. Stroud will want to do it b/c NTs get big contract, but we will sign Franklin away from the 49ers . he is a beast.

Three guys who could have a big immediate impact and huge long-term on are defense could all be had in this draft. Rounds 1-3 are below.

Rolando McClain

Terrence Cody

Eric Norwood

I see these three as starting for the length of their contracts (hopefully 4-5 years each). Originally, I thought Cody would have to be had in the late first round, but he has appeared out of shape and heavier. Could this drop him down to the second round? If we don't believe Schobel can make the transition to OLB then see if he can be moved to another team for a late second rounder, but most likely a third.

This does nothing to address the offensive side of the ball. The only positions that should be drafted on the offensive side of the ball are OT's and a QB. The only QB I see worth drafting is Clausen, but I don't think it should be done with the offensive line as it is.