The 3-4 Defense is Here

BB.com is reporting that the switch to 3-4 is official (but that Edwards plans to be flexible in his approach).

Assuming that's true, what does that mean for our current roster? Seems like a lot of changes are in store. Here are a few I can think of:

We need a NT. Williams (our best defensive player IMO) cannot man the nose in a 3-4. Spencer Johnson and Stroud probably can alternate at RDE, and I guess Schobel (or Schobel's replacement?) man the LDE spot, but we really don't have an ideal player there, either.

At linebacker, Maybin obviously takes his hand off of the ground. Poz and Mitchell man the MLB spots? Not so sure about that one...

Other changes/observations?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our outside linebacker corps is about to hit the bricks. Ellison will be a Giant. Nic Harris? I don't know.

we need a NT. Stroud, Williams, and Spencer Johnson are capable of playing end in a 34. Schobel can probably be a flex man the way Jason Taylor was in the later stages of his career.

Maybin and Chris Ellis can be pass rushing OLB's.

Kelsay, who knows. If he bulks up in the offseason to 280 or so he might able to play end.

I'm guessing Schobel is gone. retire, trade or cut. No way he wants to go through the change at this point in his career. he's already on the bubble.

I can't remember where I read it recently (probably here), but I recall Schobel saying he thinks he'd fit better as a 3-4 OLB than in the current 4-3 scheme. That said, he was still non-commital about coming back.

Where does Kyle Williams fit in?

Too short, too slow for DE?

-not really

Too small for NT?

-absolutely

??

i dont think he's too small or slow for DE. quite the opposite, think he has the best motor on the front 7

My dream 3-4

Johnson - Wilfork - Stroud

Poz - Mitchell - McClain - Maybin

That would be a FORMIDABLE group to block. Maybin coming off the edge the way Bryce Paup used to would be freaking frightening for opposing QB's!

My thoughts exactly. That plus our secondary looks good, we may have a monster defense...

Where does Kyle Williams fit in?

Too short, too slow for DE?

-not really

Too small for NT?

-absolutely

??

Here...this guy is a 3-4 NT that has made 2 consecutive pro bowls...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RatlJa20.htm

No reason that Kyle Williams should be deemed too small.

By small, I mean short, 3-4 inches too short, IMO.

Would a 3-4 DE ever have to pursue a running back outside? Could he handle this?

One of the keys to playing DT is staying low to maintain leverage...height can be a negative for a DT, not just a positive. Look:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FranAu20.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HampCa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillJa99.htm

They come in all shapes and sizes. The important thing is: can he play? And I'd like to think we'd all agree that Williams can.

Any chance Williams adds 10-15lbs plugs in at nose? I think Kelly Gregg is there for Balt and he's similiar to Williams just a little heavier.

Gregg is almost identical in size to Williams.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GregKe20.htm

Plus, see the Jay Ratliff post above, it's not about size, it's about ability.

There's no reason Williams can't play the nose if he's taught to tie up blockers properly. Stroud is the guy that I worry about fitting into the scheme, he may have to kick out to end, and he doesn't exactly project well as a 5-technique (EDIT: However, there have been similar 3-tech guys like Trevor Pryce that have made the same transition in the past). I agree that guys like Schobel and Kelsay are likely gone, but I think they need to find a way to fit Stroud into the equation. He, along with Spencer Johnson, will really need to step up their game.

As far as LBs go, I'd count on Mitchell and Poz inside, with Ellison and Nic Harris backing up. Maybin is a lock to move to rush LB, and (although there's a long way to go before anything is set in stone) I'd bet the same fate awaits Chris Ellis.

Overall, because 3-4 players tend to be guys that move from their college position to other roles in the NFL, they tend to be available in the 3rd-4th rounds of the draft. I'd expect quite a few OLB/DE and DT/DE picks as the draft progresses.

Just my 1 cent.

If we're going to switch, this year, at least, there are some NT's becoming free agents. So, if one or two don't get franchised, then we can get one. Seymour, too, might be available. If we could take care of the D-line in F.A., and maybin goes to LB, then someone like McClain would round off our Defense and make it look pretty damn good for next year. I don't have the specifics at hand, but it seems like there are going to be a few D-linemen and outside linebackers available this year in F.A., and we're in a perfect spot to draft the best linebacker, too, or NT, for that matter. We'll see how serious Ralph is by summer.

...and, we might have some trade bait for 4-3 teams, too.