Bills offer assistant GM to Doug Whaley

shaker4187

Whaley first worked for the Steelers while Gailey was still there.

"A: During the season, mostly I'm the advance scout for the coaches, so during the week I'll break down the film of the opponent "

Great point. They probably had a lot of contact. :wallbash:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His media guide bio:

Simon, you've got more of an "in" with the Stillers than I do. What else can you tell us about him?

Not much to tell yet as he's very young.

He's a really good guy and well thought of within the Stillers organization and among folks who know him. He's smart and knows his business; this is a positive hire for the Bills.

Doug Whaley is in his 10th season as the Steelers� pro personnel coordinator

after spending the three previous years as an area scout with the Seattle

Seahawks. In his current position, Whaley is responsible for scouting Steelers�

opponents and evaluating pro players.

More signs of a 3-4 switch? Sounds like he would know what mid to low-tier free agents to pursue who could be installed into the 3-4 maybe.

"A: During the season, mostly I'm the advance scout for the coaches, so during the week I'll break down the film of the opponent "

Great point. They probably had a lot of contact. :wallbash:

I should add that I'm not discounting the possibility that Cowher suggested him. Just wanted to see if he overlapped with Gailey -- and since he did, Nix could also turn to CG for an opinion on him.

Add: Should also note the same for Modrak, who was the Steelers' director of college scouting during Whaley's first stint there.

His media guide bio:

Simon, you've got more of an "in" with the Stillers than I do. What else can you tell us about him?

Doesn't your info suggest that they didn't overlap?

Gailey left in 1998 to be come Cowboys head coach.

Whaley only started ten years ago, so 1999-2000.

Edit: unless that media guide is a few years old.

Doesn't your info suggest that they didn't overlap?

Gailey left in 1998 to be come Cowboys head coach.

Whaley only started ten years ago, so 1999-2000.

Edit: unless that media guide is a few years old.

That's from this year's media guide, fresh off the Steelers website. But you missed the first reference: Whaley worked as a scouting assistant for the club in 1995, when Gailey was their WRs coach.

Based upon what I've read thus far it seems like a great move and that Buddy does possibly have an eye towards the future and stability. If Bill did suggest this guy and Gailey works out we owe him some thanks. Everyone was up in arms about how he shunned us when he may have actually been pretty cool about it offering his opinions on who might be a good fit. I'm glad we got some new blood for evaluating talent that comes from the outside.....

There is your replacement for John Guy. Let me be the first to welcome him...(ahem)

WHO'S THIS GUY?? I NEVER HEARD OF HIM!! TYPICAL CHEAP-ASS RALPH WILSON MOVE!!! ESPN IS LAUGHING AT US!!! I'M DONE WITH THIS TEAM!!

Thank you. :wallbash:

PTR

So why are you still on our blogs.

I should add that I'm not discounting the possibility that Cowher suggested him. Just wanted to see if he overlapped with Gailey -- and since he did, Nix could also turn to CG for an opinion on him.

Add: Should also note the same for Modrak, who was the Steelers' director of college scouting during Whaley's first stint there.

So is this an official hiring?