Rex Ryan middle finger incident

1billsfan

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...r_in_south.html

The Jet head coach has become an official embarrassment to the Jets, their fans and the NFL. How do you enforce discipline when you're a loose cannon yourself? By far the most "entertaining" head coach in the league, but probably not going to last very long though if this is how he fills his spare time.

:blink:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see whats wrong with it, it didn't happen during an official NFL anything and it's not even illegal. I have no idea why the league thinks it has to police it and why they may get away with fining him for it. And as we Bills fans know, the fins fans were almost certainly the obnoxious instigators

If that is offensive, go to a Bills game and people watch for about 30 seconds.

And you're correlating a fan's behavior with a head coach's behavior because......?????

Sorry, but that reply is nonsense. I never said I was offended, I said it is a very embarrassing incident for a man in his position. You don't get too many "my bads" when you're a head coach in the NFL. I league that is seriously cracking down hard on any whiff of bad behavior.

If that is offensive, go to a Bills game and people watch for about 30 seconds.

I dont see whats wrong with it, it didn't happen during an official NFL anything and it's not even illegal. I have no idea why the league thinks it has to police it and why they may get away with fining him for it. And as we Bills fans know, the fins fans were almost certainly the obnoxious instigators

+1 to both of these

Zactly. File this one under "no biggie".

Thought it was kinda funny myself, but it does fall under the personal conduct policy, which holds representatives of the league to a higher standard than merely avoiding criminal acts. Goodell can take that to mean almost anything, under the vague "conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players." And he will, because it's not the wholesome image he wants to portray. "Protect the Shield" and all that.

Ryan signed onto the policy as part of his contract, so while most reasonable folks would agree that it wasn't a big deal (and that the rotten Finfans undoubtedly deserved it), he'll end up writing a check.

Thought it was kinda funny myself, but it does fall under the personal conduct policy, which holds representatives of the league to a higher standard than merely avoiding criminal acts. Goodell can take that to mean almost anything, under the vague "conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players." And he will, because it's not the wholesome image he wants to portray. "Protect the Shield" and all that.

Ryan signed onto the policy as part of his contract, so while most reasonable folks would agree that it wasn't a big deal (and that the rotten Finfans undoubtedly deserved it), he'll end up writing a check.

Well you're right. But I still think it would be cool if he mooned Goodell. They could start a website where people could donate to help Ryan pay the resulting fine. Probably have plenty of donors.

Jeez...the NFL needs to grow a sense of humor, and so does Miami.

Make no mistake, the NFL does NOT have a sense of humor about Rex's bird flipping getting caught on "tape". He's in the position of authority over 53 men in a league that has had serious image problems the last few years. Though it may seem harmless, the photo is all over the internet and is a huge embarrassment to a league and specifically Goodell during Superbowl week. The NFL Player's Association is going to be keeping a real good eye on what punishment is dealt out to Rex. Is it fair to compare a bird flip to a fight or illegal weapons charges? No, but should Roger count on them not doing so? Now THAT is a funny one!

:blink:

The NFL is ridiculous. Goodell and his fines are out of hand.

the NFL is in the Entertainment Industry. it is not a necessity for daily life, and therefore as only valuable as it's popularity.

now while we probably all agree that it is FAR from going anywhere, it IS the league's responsibility to police it's business and keep conduct in order to promote a more likable product.

furthermore, both players and coaches are PAID PARTICIPANTS in this very exclusive company and when they sign those MULTI-MILLION dollar contracts, they are also temporarily signing part of their freedoms away.

while i agree that what Ryan did was "no big deal", i do not fault the league for seeing it a different way. even if the NFL may be taking it to an extreme. they have a billion dollar business to protect. they MUST err on the side of safety.

the NFL is in the Entertainment Industry. it is not a necessity for daily life, and therefore as only valuable as it's popularity.

now while we probably all agree that it is FAR from going anywhere, it IS the league's responsibility to police it's business and keep conduct in order to promote a more likable product.

furthermore, both players and coaches are PAID PARTICIPANTS in this very exclusive company and when they sign those MULTI-MILLION dollar contracts, they are also temporarily signing part of their freedoms away.

while i agree that what Ryan did was "no big deal", i do not fault the league for seeing it a different way. even if the NFL may be taking it to an extreme. they have a billion dollar business to protect. they MUST err on the side of safety.

Take the blinders off. Any American should be able to flip the bird at an MMA event during their free time. This wasn't a press conference, an organized NFL event, team activity, or anything related. That wasn't a press photographer either. It was probably some idiot who was heckling him publicly. If ANYTHING, Ryan should be able to sue the moron that sent the picture to the press.

Take the blinders off. Any American should be able to flip the bird at an MMA event during their free time. This wasn't a press conference, an organized NFL event, team activity, or anything related. That wasn't a press photographer either. It was probably some idiot who was heckling him publicly. If ANYTHING, Ryan should be able to sue the moron that sent the picture to the press.

again, i personally think it is ridiculous too. but i understand the NFL's perspective as well.

doesnt mean it's right, but i understand where theyre coming from.

its not my money out of my pocket, so frankly, i dont care if they fine him or not.

but if it was Marshawn Lynch, i guarantee a lot of you saying that fining is ridiculous would be calling Lynch a "stupid thug" and saying he doesnt deserve to be in the league...

maybe not you specifically, but a lot of others. we all know it.