When a team lacks talent...

Got_Wood

You take a look at who the best players in the country are in the upcoming draft and you try and get one of those guys, regardless of their position. The Bills don't need to get the 3rd best player at a position just because it's one of their biggest needs. We've made that mistake before. Who are the best players out there this year?

- Ndamukong Suh

- Eric Berry

- Gerald McCoy

- Russel Okung

- Rolando McClain

I would say that is the elite group. And this next group is the 2nd tier:

- Sam Bradford

- Brian Bulaga

- Joe Haden

- CJ Spiller

- Dez Bryant

- Mike Iupati

I honestly have no idea what Buddy and Chan are going to do. Makes things a little more interesting.

I agree with everything you said but Eric Berry should not be a consideration...he may be the best safety in this draft but I just dont like taking safeties in the top 10

I really want to see Brian Bulaga drop to the Bills and better yet see them draft him

I've been monitoring the draft class as they're rated by a bunch of football wizards, but, during the senior bowl there were a group of players that made huge impact that were rated third, fourth, even fifth at their respective positions. And, every year there are players that shine in the nfl, and who outperform guys drafted ahead of them. All that tells me a team has to have really good scouts, and has to know and trust their information above the media and fan pressure. That, to me, is what makes the draft so much fun - finding the jewels in the later rounds.

On a related topic - it pisses me off to see how many picks the Patriots have in the first 60 picks this year. Crazy when you think of how much talent they'll be able to get their hands on.

I agree with everything you said but Eric Berry should not be a consideration...he may be the best safety in this draft but I just dont like taking safeties in the top 10

I really want to see Brian Bulaga drop to the Bills and better yet see them draft him

I agree. I don't really want to see us take Berry, Bryant, Haden, or Spiller. Just wanted to mention all of the elite talent available.

I'd be really happy with Bulaga as well.

You take a look at who the best players in the country are in the upcoming draft and you try and get one of those guys, regardless of their position. The Bills don't need to get the 3rd best player at a position just because it's one of their biggest needs. We've made that mistake before. Who are the best players out there this year?

- Ndamukong Suh

- Eric Berry

- Gerald McCoy

- Russel Okung

- Rolando McClain

- Sam Bradford

- Brian Bulaga

- Joe Haden

- CJ Spiller

- Dez Bryant

- Mike Iupati

I honestly have no idea what Buddy and Chan are going to do. Makes things a little more interesting.

With the possible exception of McClain, none of the top five will fall to us at 9. Baluga and Anthony Davis are the two best left tackles who might fall to us and almost certainly one of them will be available. I don't see any justification for not picking one of them.

- Ndamukong Suh

- Eric Berry

- Gerald McCoy

- Russel Okung

- Rolando McClain

- Sam Bradford

- Brian Bulaga

- Joe Haden

- CJ Spiller

- Dez Bryant

- Mike Iupati

If the third best left tackle is better than the best qb you take the left tackle. We have needs at qb,left tackle. and front 7 on d , depending on which system we end up running . At that point you start to look at best player availabe at those positions .Clearly this year one way or another we have to do something with the o line . Buluga or davis would be a good start. The idea of not taking davis becuase hadden is rated slighly higher does not make much sense

With the possible exception of McClain, none of the top five will fall to us at 9. Baluga and Anthony Davis are the two best left tackles who might fall to us and almost certainly one of them will be available. I don't see any justification for not picking one of them.

One justification is that Anthony Davis is an overweight underachiever (yes, very talented). I can't see the Bills having the luxury of gambling on him.

Bulaga is a different story, but there may be significantly better players available at other positions (like DE, LB).

Based on what I've read about Bulaga so far, I wouldn't be upset with them taking him at #9, but he may be a bit of a reach at that spot. It is always a balance, best player regardless of need vs. filling needs.

One justification is that Anthony Davis is an overweight underachiever (yes, very talented). I can't see the Bills having the luxury of gambling on him.

Bulaga is a different story, but there may be significantly better players available at other positions (like DE, LB).

Based on what I've read about Bulaga so far, I wouldn't be upset with them taking him at #9, but he may be a bit of a reach at that spot. It is always a balance, best player regardless of need vs. filling needs.

Completely agree. No more players with a "world of talent", but have yet to prove it. Okung and Bulaga are the best bets to succeed based on their current body of work. Not the "potential" that they have.

I've been monitoring the draft class as they're rated by a bunch of football wizards, but, during the senior bowl there were a group of players that made huge impact that were rated third, fourth, even fifth at their respective positions. And, every year there are players that shine in the nfl, and who outperform guys drafted ahead of them. All that tells me a team has to have really good scouts, and has to know and trust their information above the media and fan pressure. That, to me, is what makes the draft so much fun - finding the jewels in the later rounds.

On a related topic - it pisses me off to see how many picks the Patriots have in the first 60 picks this year. Crazy when you think of how much talent they'll be able to get their hands on.

Don't worry so much, the Patriots haven't had a good draft since 2005. Other than Mayo, their recent bad drafts have left the cupboard almost bare. The Jets clearly have already past them as the best team in the division.

Don't worry so much, the Patriots haven't had a good draft since 2005. Other than Mayo, their recent bad drafts have left the cupboard almost bare. The Jets clearly have already past them as the best team in the division.

Whether they have good or bad drafts we still can't beat them. What does that say about our sad sack organization?

- Ndamukong Suh

- Eric Berry

- Gerald McCoy

- Russel Okung

- Rolando McClain

- Sam Bradford

- Brian Bulaga

- Joe Haden

- CJ Spiller

- Dez Bryant

- Mike Iupati

Beluga is the best run blocking LT, thats who I want and it looks like he will be there. If not, I am taking the the best G prospect to come out in years. If he is a perennial pro bowler like they say, I have no problem drafting him at 9 - regardless of position.

When a team lacks talent, one should consider trade-downs to get 2 players. The Bills have done this a few times lately, and I think it's the right idea. If a player falls to #9 that other teams want, they should consider trading down.

I read an article that McClain might be the player that falls to the Bills, and gives them an opportunity to trade. McClain would be hard to say "trade down" to. Other players I wouldn't trade down for? Maybe Okung, Derrick Morgan, and that's it. Other than them, I'd trade down.

Beluga is the best run blocking LT, thats who I want and it looks like he will be there. If not, I am taking the the best G prospect to come out in years. If he is a perennial pro bowler like they say, I have no problem drafting him at 9 - regardless of position.

While I agree that Iupati (the guard you are talking about) is an outstanding prospect, I wonder how much he'd really help the Bills. I think the Bills are all set with the interior of their OL with Levitre, Wood, Hangartner (and I hope Incognito back). None of those players, inlcuding Iupati (based on what I've read) really would be able to play LT and maybe not even RT. So, Iupati at 9 would seem to bump Wood, Levitre or Hangartner to the bench. Not sure that is a huge upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't get too upset at drafting Iupati based on the glowing things I've read about him, but I don't think he'd solve the real glaring problem at LT.

While I agree that Iupati (the guard you are talking about) is an outstanding prospect, I wonder how much he'd really help the Bills. I think the Bills are all set with the interior of their OL with Levitre, Wood, Hangartner (and I hope Incognito back). None of those players, inlcuding Iupati (based on what I've read) really would be able to play LT and maybe not even RT. So, Iupati at 9 would seem to bump Wood, Levitre or Hangartner to the bench. Not sure that is a huge upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't get too upset at drafting Iupati based on the glowing things I've read about him, but I don't think he'd solve the real glaring problem at LT.

That would be a huge improvement IMO. Hangartner is backup material.

Secondly, I really am hoping to get Baluga at 9, then trade back up for Iupati - not nessecarily take Iupati at 9 when Beluga is there. If not, I dont want some T that cant play like T Williams. McClain/Morgan/whoever in the D front 7 is an option too, but I waould like to focus in on an extremely deep, talented OL draft. Getting them both somehow would make our OL rock solid and full of big nasty road graders. I feel Beluga is capable of play LT, but what he may lack as a pass blocker he more than makes up for as a run blocker. The Bills should be run first, pass second anyways - like the Jets where this season. Beluga and Iupati would be a dream scenario.

- Ndamukong Suh

- Eric Berry

- Gerald McCoy

- Russel Okung

- Rolando McClain

- Sam Bradford

- Brian Bulaga

- Joe Haden

- CJ Spiller

- Dez Bryant

- Mike Iupati

I agree. I would lump Buluga into the elite group, and possibly Bryant and Iupati. If we have a chance at drafting someone in the elite group and pass I will !@#$ing vomit. Draft the BPA, not for need for the 1,000th time. Learn from our past mistakes and ineptitude

Just draft someone who can contribute right away and be solid. I dont care if he is pro bowler just a solid starter and ill be happy

I am not so concerned with contributing right away. Better to be right than right away!

I found it curious.

We were told all week how great Iupati looked in the Senior Bowl practices.

Then, like a dream, I thought I saw Geno Atkins and others burn Iupati repeatedly in the actual Senior Bowl game.

But I must not have seen that at all, because none of the "gurus" (except two - a blogger and Rob Rang) even reported that Iupati did indeed get completely used in pass protection during about a half of the actual Senior Bowl game by guys who are not going First Day in the Draft, giving up a sack and repeated pressures and a couple of holding penalties. But he just looks so awesome run blocking, mauling defenders with that hair flowing from his helmet. Ah, who cares about pass protection?? Clearly, not the Bills... Is Iupati simply too high in his pass pro set? Not if the guru report you just parroted claimed he never allowed a sack... especially given all the tough teams Idaho played against...

So don't let me spoil the fun. Todd McShay and others have it down. Iupati is ready to dominate Day 1 in the NFL because McShay says so and y'all have a beak and birdbrain and know how to parrot, nevermind what happened in the actual Senior Bowl game you watched and failed to understand...

and then pray for the poor soul who gets to be the lead pinatta this year... otherwise known as the Bills starting QB.