Do not draft LT in the first round, we don't need one there.

DarthICE

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, unless we get the top linebacker in free agency like a karlos dansby, the pick has to be mcclain. We need a identity and a star on defense, not to mention poz has had an injury every year and mitchell is coming off a knee injury. If we stick with the 4-3 we have mcclain at mlb and poz on one side and mitchell on the other along with maybin(depending on where they put him). I'd like to see him more at both de and lb like a terrel suggs type of role. The second round if we don't trade for mcnabb we use to for the best left tackle available. I think in free agency we go after a left tackle as well as a big dt. Might as well have a free agent left tackle and a 2nd rd pick compete for the job . I think the 3rd round pick should be either jermaine gresham tight end from oklahoma or a breakaway speed type of running back. If we don't trade for a veteran qb I say we take a qb. Its all gonna depend on our free agency approach.

Agreed, unless we get the top linebacker in free agency like a karlos dansby, the pick has to be mcclain. We need a identity and a star on defense, not to mention poz has had an injury every year and mitchell is coming off a knee injury. If we stick with the 4-3 we have mcclain at mlb and poz on one side and mitchell on the other along with maybin(depending on where they put him). I'd like to see him more at both de and lb like a terrel suggs type of role. The second round if we don't trade for mcnabb we use to for the best left tackle available. I think in free agency we go after a left tackle as well as a big dt. Might as well have a free agent left tackle and a 2nd rd pick compete for the job . I think the 3rd round pick should be either jermaine gresham tight end from oklahoma or a breakaway speed type of running back. If we don't trade for a veteran qb I say we take a qb. Its all gonna depend on our free agency approach.

I like Gresham, but I doubt he gets past the late 1st round or even the second round..

There could be 7 OT's taken in the first round (some think that Iupati can play OT, even though he was a G at Boise St.):

Russell Okung

Brian Bulaga

Anthony Davis

Trent Williams

Bruce Campbell

Vladimir Ducasse

Mike Iupati

That's nearly a quarter of the first round. Clearly a strength of this draft and something the Bills need to take advantage of.

I'm all for taking Bradford or Clausen if either is available at #9. That would be my top priority. However if I was Buddy Nix my next move would be to go up with a 2 and a 3 (what they gave up to trade up for McCargo) and get an OT. In fact I would make that move even if one was already taken with the first pick. Davis scares me a bit with some maturity issues and Campbell with his lack of experience, but the Bills really need to come away with at least one on this list.

Let me take away Ducasse cause I think he goes 2nd-3rd round and add Charles Brown late 1st- as for me I'd get an OT with my first pick (Bulaga, Campbell, Davis) and maybe try to move up into the bottom of the 1st and grab (Iupati, Williams, Brown) so anyone who hates Olinemen early would hate me as GM LOL.

Draft big, nasty, vicious linemen. Start with Bryan Bulaga. Come back and draft Adam Ulatoski in round 5 or 6. Then watch your QB magically improve.

I agree generally, but I don't care if they're big, nasty or vicious. Just draft really good linemen.

They can be big, nasty and vicious, that's fine, as long as they're really good. Or they can be the Kent Hull type, cerebral, cool and technical, as long as they're really good. Just make them really good.

I generally agree that if there is a very good LT available, they should take him. I DO NOT like Davis from Rutgers - too fat and lazy to take that high. I don't think Iupati is a LT candidate, but I like everything I've read about him, problem is, if you take him and he can't play LT, then what? Maybe he can play RT, but he is really more of a OG and I think the

Bills are already pretty solid there with Levitre, Wood and Ingonito.

Bulaga might be an OK pick, but #9 might be a little high for him.

I think Okung and Williams will be gone.

On the QB side, I don't know if I am sold on any of them. I think Bradford will be gone and I don't think Clausen is

worth that pick. I don't think Tebow should go before rnd 3 and I wouldn't take Pike or any other QB in the first.

One name for ya fella's....Ciron Black: OT, LSU. 6'4" 318lbs. 53 game starter, 40 straight @ LT. Graded out at 85% or better all 12 games this year. I have no Idea why they got this kid going in rd 3-4...Oh, and from what I read about the Sr. bowl, he man handled Terrence Cody when they moved him inside ofr a few snaps... :censored:

I agree on Black bring in good offensive lineman.. Helps any QB play better..

Draft big, nasty, vicious linemen. Start with Bryan Bulaga. Come back and draft Adam Ulatoski in round 5 or 6. Then watch your QB magically improve.

And if Bulaga is not there then Lupati would look good to me in a Bills uniform lined up next to Wood. By the time the combine is over Lupati might be the number one lineman in the draft. And he can play LT or RT or G.

I like what Mayock said, there is Okung then everyone else is a distant second. Let nix find us one in later rounds like he did in SD

you could see 6 or 7 tackles taken before we pick in the second round. We need a day one starter these guys dont fall in to the later rounds . I am all for project guys but nothing gets fixed until we fill the left tackle position

We have only 4 tackles available by the Bills' second pick, and all of them reaches:

---Vladimir Ducasse (going to Dallas at #59 in our next draft, and more likely a Guard)

---Mike Johnson from Alabama (going to Chargers at #60)

---Mike Fox from Miami (going early in RD#3 to KC)

Ciron Black would be a major reach, more likely a Guard, and likely there in RD#3.

When the Bills draft a LT in the first round you are going to have a breakdown. Or just maybe you'll have a blogger's rage and spew hateful comments about Buddy Nix and his redneck scouts? Be mellow and accept the probability that the Bills are going to first address the OL and then move on to other needs. It might not be sexy but in the long run it is the right thing to do.

Several of the playoff teams don't have 1st round QBs, either including:

Arizona (Warner - undrafted)

Minn (Favre - 2nd rnd)

Pats (Brady 6th)

Saints (Brees 2nd - I think this is right).

The same could be said for ANY position. Logically, since teams really only get 1 1st round pick/year (unless there

is a trade involved) and there are 22 starting positions, it would take 22 years of #1 picks to fill every starting

position. Most players don't even play 10 years, so it is clear that teams must get significant contributions from players other than #1 picks.

I agree that some positions are more important than others (QB. LT, DE are probably the most important - but that is debatable and dependent on a team's scheme and other strengths/weaknesses). But, there are a multitude of ways

to build a successful team and there will always be tradeoffs to consider.

I think that the most important thing for the Bills in rounds 1-3 this year is to get players that will make significant

contributions for several years. That does not mean that they MUST start from day 1, but that would help. They need to get 3 good long-term starters out of rounds 1-3.

I think reaching for a position of need is a disaster and a way to ensure that they won't get those 3 good starters. So, if they think there is a legitimate good/very good LT or QB at 9 this year, then by all means take him. But, don't reach for a LT or QB and hope that they'll be the answer. We've been there before.

Misses happen in the draft all the time to every team. But there are approaches to minimize the risk of this. I think picking players like the Bills did in Wood and Levitre works along those lines. Those guys were low-risk solid selections. Maybe they didn't have quite as high a ceiling as some other players (like Maybin), but their floor was also much higher than Maybin's. You knew much more of what you were getting with Wood and Levitre.

In fact - while we are at it - why don't we trade up - and get that DT from Nebraska -Suh?- he will be a game changer. Have the Bills ever traded UP?

One of the biggest problems with recent drafts has been the decision to trade up to take inferior players. Had we waited, we could have had David Harris and a 3rd rounder instead of Poz. We could have had Matt Schaub and a 2005 1st rounder instead of Losman. They likely good have taken McCargo with their 2nd round pick. When you're scouts don't have a high success rate, you can't afford to sacrifice extra picks to move up and take a guy who has a reasonable likelihood of being worse anyway.

Say what you will about Modrak being overruled, but if he has had ANY input on the draft his record is horrible. In addition to Poz and Losman think about 2008 when our needs were CB/WR and we passed on Pro Bowlers in both spots (Rodgers-Cromartie/DeSean Jackson).

Let me take away Ducasse cause I think he goes 2nd-3rd round and add Charles Brown late 1st- as for me I'd get an OT with my first pick (Bulaga, Campbell, Davis) and maybe try to move up into the bottom of the 1st and grab (Iupati, Williams, Brown) so anyone who hates Olinemen early would hate me as GM LOL.

DarthIce intensely hates you. You and I are simpatico. Where I disagree with you is that I don't think this team can afford giving up early round picks to move up because of our multiple needs.