Just one more example of the NFL owners being greedy buttholes

Steely Dan

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/foot...t.ap/index.html

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Who owns "Who Dat?"

Some T-shirt makers are asking that question after they were hit with cease-and-desist letters from the NFL demanding that they stop selling shirts with the traditional cheer of New Orleans Saints fans.

The National Football League says the shirts infringe on a legal trademark it owns. Separately, two brothers and longtime Saints fans claim they own the phrase, which was around before the long-downtrodden team's inception in 1966.

The chant -- "Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints" -- is often shortened to "Who Dat" on shirts and signs and has been a mainstay at the Superdome since the 1980s. Saints fans, still jubilant after the Saints' win over the Minnesota Vikings for their first Super Bowl appearance, have voiced their dismay on radio talk shows, blogs and Web site posts. Many say it's something that simply can't be owned.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/foot...l#ixzz0e2XBpk4p

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Trademark laws need a serious revisitation when people are claiming rights over something like "Who Dat?"

Donald Trump gave up on trying to Trademark "You're Fired" because too many business' (mostly pottery shops) were using that name already and were going to fight it.

The NFL is also contending that they have a trademark on the Fleur-di-lis, a symbol of the catholic church thats been around for over 1000 yrs. As a member of an organization who utilizes the fleur-di-lis as one of its signature symbols, I find this position by the NFL both laughable, and dispicable. They are completely entitled to protect the "sheild" however, when you start trying to claim the expressions, and 1000 yr old symbols are yours, it borders on stupidity.

The National Football League says the shirts infringe on a legal trademark it owns. Separately, two brothers and longtime Saints fans claim they own the phrase, which was around before the long-downtrodden team's inception in 1966.

The NFL should talk to their lawyers if they think they have it trademarked. I don't see a record of it.

The NFL is also contending that they have a trademark on the Fleur-di-lis, a symbol of the catholic church thats been around for over 1000 yrs. As a member of an organization who utilizes the fleur-di-lis as one of its signature symbols, I find this position by the NFL both laughable, and dispicable. They are completely entitled to protect the "sheild" however, when you start trying to claim the expressions, and 1000 yr old symbols are yours, it borders on stupidity.

Precisely. However, it will/should ultimately be settled in the courts and the NFL would almost certainly (at least I would hope) lose. However, the real questino is do 2 guys selling shirts on the street have the money and will to battle the NFL in court? I'm sure the NFL is banking on... no.

You would hope that any judge would hear about 2 minutes of testimony before stopping it and throwing it all out. Unfortunately, after seeing successful lawsuits for making hot coffee hot, I wouldn't old my breath.

Precisely. However, it will/should ultimately be settled in the courts and the NFL would almost certainly (at least I would hope) lose. However, the real questino is do 2 guys selling shirts on the street have the money and will to battle the NFL in court? I'm sure the NFL is banking on... no.

You would hope that any judge would hear about 2 minutes of testimony before stopping it and throwing it all out. Unfortunately, after seeing successful lawsuits for making hot coffee hot, I wouldn't old my breath.

From what I understand, the brothers do have copyright rights on who dat, so hopefully the NFL loses, one issue is the color scheme though, I think the league owns the color scheme rights, so any shirts printed without NFL approval would have to modify their color scheme possibly, not sure how that works. I do know that the league has NO CLAIM on the fleur-di-lis, whatsoever.

According to the article a lot of lawyers in N.O. are volunteering to help.

My thoughts on the "Who Dat" issue can be summed up in a couple of song lyrics:

"Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight" -- Don Henley

"Tell me a boat full of lawyers just sank" -- Robert Cray

But then again,

"send lawyers, guns and money. The sh*t has hit the fan"---Warren Zevon

My thoughts on the "Who Dat" issue can be summed up in a couple of song lyrics:

"Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight" -- Don Henley

"Tell me a boat full of lawyers just sank" -- Robert Cray

A lawyer a doctor and a priest are stranded on a desert island surrounded by sharks. The doctor says that he happens to know they are just 2 miles from a major shipping lane and that if one of them could swim there they could easily get help.

The doctor looks at the other two and reminds them that should they be attacked by a shark he should be on the island to help. The priest says he needs to be there to administer last rights. The lawyer says it's no problem and he gets in the water and swims off. When he gets to the line of sharks they all part and open a lane for him to swim through.

The priest looks at the doctor dumbfounded. "That's called professional courtesy."

BA DUM BUM! Ptsch.