Lindell is 13-15 in FG's

Mark VI

Dorenbos is snapping the ball back to Moorman this year, instead of Teague. The ball gets there much quicker, giving Moorman time to get the ball in position. Lindell has a better rhythm and is hitting the ball straight. I remember him hooking one 43 yarder several weeks back and having another 40+ yarder deflected. Other than that, he's made the other 13. Long is only 43 but he can hit up to 50. Average to good on Kickoffs. Coverage has been so superb that field position has not been a problem.

Giving the guy some small props. He's not Viniteri but hardly the dog he was last year. No longer a big concern. Dorenbos has made a positive difference.

hes only 13-15 cus we PUNT unless we are at the 30.

nothing pisses me off more than getting to the 35 and punting. just so they get the ball at the 20. this happens atleast once a game. if we had a kicker with any leg, we would probubly have 8 more FGs.

nothing pisses me off more than getting to the 35 and punting. just so they get the ball at the 20. this happens atleast once a game. if we had a kicker with any leg, we would probubly have 8 more FGs.

130398[/snapback]

Completely agree - I made the same point yesterday....

We HAVE to stop preposterous punting... :lol:

whilr lindell has been accurate on paper, as ch said, we dont allow him to try many long field goals...hes still been an extreme liability from 40+ yd field goals, and i have a problem with that...kickers shouldnt have too much trouble hittin from those distances...50+ is a different tory, but lindell has been extremely inaccurate from 40-49...

130398[/snapback]

Line of Scrimmage at the 30 is a 47 yard FG. That's pushing the range of most kickers, isn't it? If they miss the kick, the opponent gets the ball where the hold was, so punting from there is all part the field-position game.

I agree with Mularkey there. It's much tougher to move the ball 80 (or more) yards on our D than it is to move the ball 53.

What I said yesterday:

What concerns me about Lindell is exactly that he has not been tested on long FGs. In facts TMQ regularly laments our 'preposterous punts' and that is directly as a result of the lack of faith we have in Lindells ability to kick it long. We would be much closer to a winning record if we could covert FG trys from 45+ yards up to 55 yards.

Similarly - one stat that is not reflected in our quality ST play this season is the preponderance to call for the punting unit when we are inside the opponents half. It is frustrating to see us have to kick the ball away for net gains of only 15-20 yards. This conservative play calling on STs is a real frustration and we must overcome these situations to be successful.

On a side note - Dorenbos is a superb asset for this football team. We must not lose him.

Line of Scrimmage at the 30 is a 47 yard FG.  That's pushing the range of most kickers, isn't it?  If they miss the kick, the opponent gets the ball where the hold was, so punting from there is all part the field-position game.

I agree with Mularkey there.  It's much tougher to move the ball 80 (or more) yards on our D than it is to move the ball 53.

130408[/snapback]

Good kickers make nearly 70% of FGs inside 49 yards. You don't win games by field position - it's only a small determining factor. You win games by putting points on the board.

Long is only 43 but he can hit up to 50. Average to good on Kickoffs. Coverage has been so superb that field position has not been a problem.

He can hit up to 50? Right... maybe on the moon with a 30 mile an hour wind behind him.

Good kickers make nearly 70% of FGs inside 49 yards.  You don't win games by field position - it's only a small determining factor.  You win games by putting points on the board.

130412[/snapback]

That's why I hate the 'risk averse about all else' coaching philosophy in the NFL. If it's 4 and 5 or less from the 35 yard line, and they don't have faith in the kicker, they should be GOING FOR IT!

What I said yesterday:

On a side note - Dorenbos is a superb asset for this football team. We must not lose him.

130411[/snapback]

COMPLETLY AGREE. i havent seen 1 miss snap, or high snap, or low snap. Moreman is also having a great year. and most people dont even know who he is.

COMPLETLY AGREE. i havent seen 1 miss snap, or high snap, or low snap. Moreman is also having a great year. and most people dont even know who he is.

130449[/snapback]

He's had bad snaps...one of them turned into a big gain when Moorman had to run because of it.

Good kickers make nearly 70% of FGs inside 49 yards.  You don't win games by field position - it's only a small determining factor.  You win games by putting points on the board.

130412[/snapback]

2 things:

1. -> One might argue it's much easier to put points on the board when your drives start at or near midfield than when you get the ball at your own 20. Field position not only matters, but with a ball-control offense, it's critical.

2. -> I took a look at the stats for NFL kickers from 40-49 yards. I took the NFL kickers who have attempted FGs of 40-49 yards, and the average is 66.67059%. Which isn't too far from the 70% figure you used, but does not take into account the average FG% from 45-50 yards exclusively. Had those stats been broken down by the NFL, I think that average would drop dramatically. Since the earlier poster said punting from the 30, that makes for a 47 yard FG. He later said the 35 yard line in the same post, which would make it a 52 yard FG. At 50+ yards, the NFL average is 60.037%.

What it comes down to is: Would you rather take a 60-67% chance of scoring 3 points while giving the opponent a 40-33% chance of getting ball at midfield, or do you like the odds of that an opponent won't be able to march the ball 80+ yards and scoring against our defense?

I'll take field position every time.

There's no wind? Then why is the flag so straight?  :lol:

Oh well. At least there's cheese.

130448[/snapback]

The flag on the moon is straight because there is a rod through the top edge, just like the flagpole on the vertical edge.

Sorry, if that wasn't a real question, but I do know some people don't understand it.

The 43-yarder Lindell missed was against Miami into a gale-force wind. The thing just died at the five-yard-line.

That said, it's obvious the staff has no confidence in Lindell's ability to kick anything over 45. If he keeps his accuracy up, MM will probably give him the opportunity to kick a longer one when needed.

I agree Lindell has kicked well this year, except the coaches won't give him many oppourtunities at long ones. The weather, even when not windy is n't very good here. Cold air means a harder ball to kick. 70% from 40-49 to me means you can't call them a gimmie either.

All in all, are there better kickers around the league? Yes, but how many better kickers are available?