Lindell is 13-15 in FG's

Mark VI

Dorenbos is snapping the ball back to Moorman this year, instead of Teague. The ball gets there much quicker, giving Moorman time to get the ball in position. Lindell has a better rhythm and is hitting the ball straight. I remember him hooking one 43 yarder several weeks back and having another 40+ yarder deflected. Other than that, he's made the other 13. Long is only 43 but he can hit up to 50. Average to good on Kickoffs. Coverage has been so superb that field position has not been a problem.

Giving the guy some small props. He's not Viniteri but hardly the dog he was last year. No longer a big concern. Dorenbos has made a positive difference.

130253[/snapback]

I agree. He's not a liability. There are other positions that this team needs to worry about in the meantime.

2 things:

1. -> One might argue it's much easier to put points on the board when your drives start at or near midfield than when you get the ball at your own 20.  Field position not only matters, but with a ball-control offense, it's critical.

2. -> I took a look at the stats for NFL kickers from 40-49 yards.  I took the NFL kickers who have attempted FGs of 40-49 yards, and the average is 66.67059%.    Which isn't too far from the 70% figure you used, but does not take into account the average FG% from 45-50 yards exclusively.  Had those stats been broken down by the NFL, I think that average would drop dramatically.  Since the earlier poster said punting from the 30, that makes for a 47 yard FG.  He later said the 35 yard line in the same post, which would make it a 52 yard FG.  At 50+ yards, the NFL average is 60.037%. 

What it comes down to is: Would you rather take a 60-67% chance of scoring 3 points while giving the opponent a 40-33% chance of getting ball at midfield, or do you like the odds of that an opponent won't be able to march the ball 80+ yards and scoring against our defense?

I'll take field position every time.

130465[/snapback]

With our offense? I want the points. How many games have we had that were decided by 3 points or less this season? That'd be three. We lost them all.

The crunch time will likely come at some point this season where even though the coaches have no confidence in Lindell beyond 45 yards we will need a Scott Norwoodesque 47 yarder to win the game.

When Norwood lined up I felt it was far but he had a good shot at making it. When and if Lindell is in this situation I will have my doubts on any kick beyond 4o yards and hope and depend on good luck even if its 30-40 yards.

Field position is great, but points on the board are better. I would think our D is good enough that we should be comfortable that even if he misses a long kick that 63 yards (assuming that he missed a 46 yarder is still a lomg enough field for the opponent in the field position battle.