Bills Now Having Trouble Finding DC

box0life

Are we seriously concerned that a LBs coach was not named our Defensive Coordinator?

Dan, in case the other two posts were not clear to you, Pees was the defensive coordinator for the Patriots. So yes, the news of his signing with Baltimore is disappointing.

Maybe the Bills knew that getting a true nose tackle, oversized DEs and oversized LBs (none of which we have) all in one season wasn't feasible and in fact had no plans at all to look into running a 3-4 defense.

It's possible Gailey said what he did at his introductory presser solely to placate fans for the moment. It's looking more and more like we'll run a 4-3 which is fine...as long as we upgrade the talent.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so because they havent hired anyone yet means they are having trouble finding one?

Welcome to TBD logic. Because Leslie Frazier didn't talk about the Bills job while employed by the Vikes, he's no good. We could have had Gailey AND Frazier, because some poster knows Gailey would have been Frazier's choice as OC. I'm amazed at the amount of inside info, hard evidence and compelling arguments circulating around here.

New coaches do not generally have their staffs lined up before they are hired. The only way that they could possibly

do that would be to have lined up other unemployed assistants. They can't legally contact coaches on other staffs and.

even if they could, who would quit a secured job to join the staff of some head coach who didn't have a job at that

point?

When a coach is not employed by NFL before he accepts position he is under no obligation to not contact anyone about potential jobs including their agents and anyone who does agree has no legal binding. The NFL has not yet restricted potential coaches from talking to anyone yet except those who are employed by NFL or those receiving severance pay from NFL. I am sure the NFL would like to restrict this just like the IRS would like to tax for air.

The employed coaches still under contract are in a different situation - they could be charged with breaking a contract with a team could even attempt to cut them 'with cause' and try to get a ruling they did not have to pay remaining salary.

Hard to believe that they hired Gailey without him having a Defensive Coordinator lined up. I don't see any real good quality DC's available which could be real problem next year. If he is struggling to find a DC, this defense will probably regress next year.

Don't you go into an interview for head coach basically having a coaching staff lined up. How did Gailey win this coaching job without a staff picked out?

Jeff Quinn of the Bulls had a staff basically set within less than a week of being given the job.

Things taking a long time doesn't necessarily mean they are going badly or will have a bad ending.

I could give you an example from my private life, but it would just make you jealous.

That's just plain not true... The bills can't contact anyone but me, you, bill cowher or anyone not employed by an NFL team can call up a friend and say "hey, if I get this job, can I count on you to be there with me?" it's not only legal, but commonplace.

Commonplace but with very limited applications. Unless you trust the guy with your job, you say "That sounds interesting, I can't make any commitments, but it's a real possibility. Keep in touch."

Because if word gets out to your present team that you have accepted a job with somebody else, then you're gone and you're labelled a turncoat and a fink. But of course, there's no danger of word getting out, because we all know that leaks never happen in the NFL.

I think Bates will be fine. If we hire him. Bit of a weird looking dude though...remember those Coke bottle glasses?

Anyways,I don't know why everyone equates 4-3s to the namby pamby T2. The 4-3 can be aggressive and high pressure if you put some big fat guys in the middle. See the version Baltimore and Minnesota play. I'll take that.

C

Welcome to TBD logic. Because Leslie Frazier didn't talk about the Bills job while employed by the Vikes, he's no good. We could have had Gailey AND Frazier, because some poster knows Gailey would have been Frazier's choice as OC. I'm amazed at the amount of inside info, hard evidence and compelling arguments circulating around here.

Seriously, it is like TBD has become ESPN. Let's not sink that low, folks.