SAINTS vs VIKINGS GAMETHREAD

davefan66

I think fumbling the ball 6 times in a dome was the biggest factor in the loss.

That being said, the Minnesota's coaching staff's absolutely gutless performance in the last 2 1/2 minutes of regulation was a close second.

Gutless coaching staff? thank god we didn't get that leslie frazier guy then.

I know, I know, he doesn't coach the offence. Couldn't resist the dig anyway.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My last post on this because it is literally the definition of beating your head against a brick wall.

Five teams were not jobbed. They all had a chance to win the game. They failed to stop the opposing team and lost. No one went out, waved their hand, and gave them a win. They earned it.

If I were in an outdoor stadium, in bad weather, high winds - I would give up the ball first, take the wind, and play defense. In a dome, no I'd take the ball first; and tell my offense to remember that they still have to play to win.

No, what really happened is that in five games (38 percent of all OT games), the team that won a coin flip didn't have to play defense simply because of blind luck.

Emotional? Since when is "fairness" a signifier of emotion? It seems to me that you don't like how it looks - you're now resorting to an argument about defensive aesthetics rather than any sort of attempt to assess evenness.

So what's the solution, Norm?

The ONLY "fix" that would help keep people from whining would be to play a whole quarter, but then what? Does the last team to have the ball have an "unfair" advantage?

Minnesota's D played a great game...until it mattered the most. Sorry, the OT rules are just fine.

The ONLY "fix" that would help keep people from whining would be to play a whole quarter, but then what? Does the last team to have the ball have an "unfair" advantage?

Minnesota's D played a great game...until it mattered the most. Sorry, the OT rules are just fine.

Both teams touch the ball at least once.

Problem solved.

:censored:

The ball didn't hit the ground at any point. So whether or not he had control on the way down is a moot point. What matters is that the ball didn't hit the ground. At the end of the play, Meachem had the ball in his possession, and without it ever once touching the turf. If that ain't a catch, I don't know what is.

And, btw, that's exactly my point. You can't prove it wasn't a catch, because there's no conclusive evidence to prove it wasn't.

Well, it seemed quite obvious to me that the ball hit the ground. I'm basing that my own eyesight and logically extrapolating the trajectory of a bobbled ball. (Please spare me the legalistic response about not seeing it on your television screen.)

Feel free to believe otherwise. It's pretty clear that you're not going to agree with me.

OT rules suck on ice.

How about first team to 6 - that way a team actually has to drive more than 20-30 yards to win a game.......I can come up with at least ten ways that are better than this stupid coin flip system.

OT rules suck on ice.

How about first team to 6 - that way a team actually has to drive more than 20-30 yards to win a game.......I can come up with at least ten ways that are better than this stupid coin flip system.

First team to 6 is not better than a coin flip

I actually think there's a good solution: requiring the team that wins the kick to win by six points on the first drive. After that, three can win. Or simply winning by six.

All I can say is Live by the Favre, Die by the Favre.

The dude did a great job all year of controlling his gunslinger reputation, and earning his best ever TD/Int ratio. So what's he do on THE most important play of the game (of the year for that matter)? That old trigger pops in his brain "I GOTTA make a play" and next thing you know it's New Orleans' ball. Same old Favre. I feel sorry for the Vikings fans going down like that. Top that off with what will forever be a controversial call on the Saints catch that made it 3rd and 3, and this has to be a very tough loss for them.

First team to 6 is not better than a coin flip

Why not? A team either has to go all the way for a TD, or if they score two field goals, then at least I had the chance to score a TD, and I should have stopped them from scoring one of the field goals.

That would work for me, too. If you score two field goals to my one, well then shame on my D.

Exactly. Simple and effective.

Plus great for the fans because it extends a fantastic game like the one we just saw that has now left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

(Please spare me the legalistic response about not seeing it on your television screen.)

Yes, but, Dave...THAT'S THE REPLAY RULE. If it can't be seen on the screen CONCLUSIVELY, it can't be overturned. You and I can debate till we are blue in the face as to whether or not it was a catch, but the ruling on the field was catch and there was no conclusive evidence to suggest overturning was a possibility. Ergo, I'm on the right side of history here.

All hail me. :censored:

And if they both score, and it's still a tie?

I take it you're an NCAA fan, then.

Once both teams have touched the ball it's sudden death.

And I think the NCAA OT system is a mockery of the game of football.

I actually think there's a good solution: requiring the team that wins the kick to win by six points on the first drive. After that, three can win. Or simply winning by six.

That's even better than my first team to score six plan..........I like Simon's too..........I like college..........I like any of them better than the present one.