bills must go to 3-4 defense

Mr. Larry

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're in better shape to make the switch than any of those teams. Schobel and Maybin to OLB, Mitchell at ILB with Poz, all DT's become DE's and find 2 NT's. DB's are good to go.

Please stop. You want to take the best DL, and have him play LB as well as our 1st round pick ?

Can you even fathom these two guys covering RB or slot WR ?

Are you a Jauron wannabe ?

I mean come on, no wonder Perry was let go, all he had to do was switch to a 3-4, have our DL play linebacker and we would have been on our way to the Super Bowl.

I think the Bills could do it this year.

Draft a NT in the later rounds of the draft.

Spencer Johnson, Marcos Stroud, Kyle Williams

Maybin, Mitchell, Poz, Shoebel

Mcgee, Whitner, Byrd, Mckelvin

I think i like it.

they have already started to clean house, so why not do something different, if you want something different, you've got to do something different!!!

this sounds like something madden would say. :censored:

As for the 3-4, i'm not really sure it would be the answer here. Remember, the Jets had the 3-4 before Ryan arrived, and they were nowhere nearly as good. Our defense could be just as good in a 4-3 if we have the right coach who brings in the right personnel, and who draft/sign the right players for that scheme. All of these components have to be on the same page..which is what we don't have here, and what the Jets have with Ryan and co.

this sounds like something madden would say. :censored:

As for the 3-4, i'm not really sure it would be the answer here. Remember, the Jets had the 3-4 before Ryan arrived, and they were nowhere nearly as good. Our defense could be just as good in a 4-3 if we have the right coach who brings in the right personnel, and who draft/sign the right players for that scheme. All of these components have to be on the same page..which is what we don't have here, and what the Jets have with Ryan and co.

The defence would be just as good if they built an NFL caliber offence that could score more then 20 points a game

I think the Bills could do it this year.

Draft a NT in the later rounds of the draft.

Spencer Johnson, Marcos Stroud, Kyle Williams

Maybin, Mitchell, Poz, Shoebel

Mcgee, Whitner, Byrd, Mckelvin

I think i like it.

Drafting a NT in the later rounds wouldn't cut it for a 3-4. every dominant 3-4 has a dominant NT. you're not going to get that in round 5.

I don't think Stroud has ever played in a 3-4 defense and he's more of a 1 gap DT, especially at this point in his career..we would need a dominant 2 gapper for a 3-4..and that player is not on this roster...not to mention that Schobel is NOT a LB..and mitchell and Poz really aren't suited for a 3-4. IMO, we simply don't have the personnel, and that's clear. We would need a major overhaul in the defense, and that would be a mistake in my opinion, b/c defense was NOT our major problem...if you think about it, we're about 2 defensive players away from having a pretty outstanding defense: another pass-rusher (hopefully Maybin) and an upgrade at LB. I think that instead of switching to a 3-4, working with what we already have, and improving upon it is a better option...not to mention that the new coaching staff may be a little more aggressive on defense..which could automatically be a bit more productive.

I tend to agree that we are not set up at all for the 3-4. I don't see Schobel as a linebacker. Can't Maybin be effective as a pass rushing LB on 3rd downs, plus he may bulk up this offseason and end up playing DE. If we shore up the linebackers, the D should be in good shape. Draft McClain and pick up a guy like Derrick Johnson.

if we switch to a 3-4 i guarantee a 5 win or less season this year

The 2010 season will be a rebuilding one no matter what the Bills do or don't do. The number of wins they get in 2010 does not matter, except to the extent it impacts the long-term rebuilding effort.

Of the guys we currently have in the front seven, only two--Kyle Williams and Poz--represent reasonably young, good players. There's room for both those guys in a 3-4. Over the coming rebuilding period, we're going to have to add another five guys to our front seven, regardless of whatever defensive scheme we employ.

For these reasons, the Bills should put short-term considerations aside and adopt whichever defensive scheme will work out best over the long-term. I strongly believe that scheme to be the 3-4, assuming they can find a reasonably cerebral DC to run it.

The defence would be just as good if they built an NFL caliber offence that could score more then 20 points a game

More than 20 points a game? :censored:

I can think of 15 games over the last 2 seasons where I'd have loved to see Buffalo score 20 points in the game.