if we go 3-4

ishouldbegm

thank god...

Kelsay is terrible and should have been cut before ever being signed.

In the 3-4 I could see Stroud playing NT for a year with Johnson and Williams as DE's. Yes I do understand that Stroud may be too light for NT but play him for 1 year and then he moves to DE.

Maybin and Schobel (for 1 year) to OLB while Poz and Mitchell play the inside. The secondary stays the same.

if we go to a 3/4 the lineup could look like this

DE Williams

NT Stroud

DE Kelsay

OLB Schoebel/Maybin

ILB Poz/Mitchell

Recipe for disaster right now. We will need a NT to rotate with Stroud for one thing. Kelsey and Williams are not 3-4 DEs for another. Maybin has no pass coverage skills, and neither does Schoebel. Other than that it looks great.

We are not ready to move to a 3-4. Maybe after the draft and free agency, if can sign acquire a few players on the front 7 that can play both 3-4 and 4-3, then we can transition to 3-4 next year.

Funny how all of the great schemes change over time ... back in the Super Bowl years a lot of Bills fans complained about the 3-4. We we prone to running attacks that featured big powerful OLs. For example, NY Giants, Washington Redskins, and Dallas Cowboys.

if the bills plan on playing a 3-4 they need:

atleast 1 starting olb, and about 3 back up lbs

a nt and a back up

and probably 1 starter worthy de.

they could trade schobel and whitner and get some more picks/ players to make the transition easier

if we go to a 3/4 the lineup could look like this

DE Williams

NT Stroud

DE Kelsay

OLB Schoebel/Maybin

ILB Poz/Mitchell

I have a feeling if we go 3-4 then this won't resemble our starting line up much at all. You can't make orange juice out of grapes. There will have to be some acquistions to transition to the other scheme needless to say. Good thing the season is a long way off so that speculation can run rampant until then. :beer:

I for one would love to see Kelsay and Denney shown the door.......along with the advent of the 3-4 Defense being introduced of course...and Maybin being transitioned to the OLB, but overall the D line needs a signficant upgrade......yeah, I know uh..duh

he wouldn't fit in a 3-4

Dude... you don't know that. He might be able to be an OLB.

Green Bay and Denver switched to 3-4 and a few of their DEs ended up playing at OLB... and playing well.

Don't put money on it either way... just watch and see what happens

didn't Gregg Williams come in and take a first rate defense based on a 3-4 and "convert" it to the 4-3 he was more comfortable with, resulting in Hansen retiring, and us not going to the playoff since. Before a coach comes in and makes major structural changes he might look where the major problems are (hint....OFFENSIVE LINE) and perhaps address that with the limited resources he will have with the draft or free agency.

OR...he could jerk around the personnel we have in our existing 4-3 to play positions they never played, perhaps because they don't play them very well, and gerrymander a structure with the wrong personnel playing in the wrong positions and hope for success....kind of like we've been doing with the offensive line.

Sounds like a plan to me! Fits right in with our philosophy over the last decade...plus ca change.