Teams with bad records:

St. Louis

Cleveland

Buffalo

Detroit

Washington

Detroit Lions

Tampa Bay

Go to the message boards of those teams and you'll see the same complaints.

Wait...what????? :devil:

There are 32 of these jobs in the world, and plenty of coaches, both pro and college, want a shot at them. Any coach who has aspirations to be "one of the greatest" would relish a turnaround job. Imagine how you would be regarded in league circles if you can turn a bad franchise like Buffalo into a winner.

There are 32 of these jobs in the world, and plenty of coaches, both pro and college, want a shot at them. Any coach who has aspirations to be "one of the greatest" would relish a turnaround job. Imagine how you would be regarded in league circles if you can turn a bad franchise like Buffalo into a winner.

it's true Nix is 100% right. EVERY nfl coaching position is highly coveted.

stupid article. anyone that cant see nix and gailey are a huge upgrade from what we had is a complete idiot. this clown dragged out every negative stereotype he could find simply to trash buffalo. someone needs to tell him we finished ahead of 8 teams in the league including the large market redskins who spend big on high profile names. ill take bills and gaily over shanahan and the skins, and pocket several million a year in savings. thank you very much

I agree. The reporter is just generating copy and probably catering to a widely held, but likely inaccurate view.

Buddy Nix is a pretty vibrant 70 year old. Looks to me that he has lots left in the tank. He is 21 years younger than Ralph. He is a seasoned football professional.

Chan G is 58 years old. So what?. If age was the only criterion I would rather have that than a 35 year old coach.

This HC/GM duo strikes me as a no nonsense back to business combo. Really just an impression but at least its a favourable first impression.

Frankly I also like what CG said about finding and developing players and modifying schemes to best suit their abilities (and limitations). Makes perfect sense to me.

Don't understand the CG and DJ comparison some guys are posting. Lets be sensible shall we? I doubt very much that anyone could be as bad as DJ was (in so many ways).

I am looking forward to seeing what BN and CG can do. I suspect these were both probably good moves that will pay off, maybe even playoff (in the next year or two).

And then you get up and say "See, even bad coaching openings can be filled!"?

And then you get up and say "See, even bad coaching openings can be filled!"?

...except maybe Oakland apparently...forget I said that. Hilarious.

Given current events and recent (10 year) history I don't think its illogical to say in the same breath that all NFL coaching jobs are highly coveted, but that Buffalo (and other loser franchises) would likely not be the first choice of anyone with the ability to pick his spot. Someone like that would probably pick the Vikings these days.

What happened to your great avatar DC? What was that thing anyway?

stupid article. anyone that cant see nix and gailey are a huge upgrade from what we had is a complete idiot. this clown dragged out every negative stereotype he could find simply to trash buffalo. someone needs to tell him we finished ahead of 8 teams in the league including the large market redskins who spend big on high profile names. ill take bills and gaily over shanahan and the skins, and pocket several million a year in savings. thank you very much

I agree with you. You have to be careful when consuming sports media - it is just like the regular media - under researched, with a herd mentality. This article wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Let us determine if we are freezing and playing games in Toronto just might help keep this franchise in the area. This is just stupid.

The same things being said about Wilson (and the team) today were all said in closely the same manner back in the horrible 80's... Doom. Gloom. "Forget it - I'm switching to another team." The only thing different is the number printed for Ralph's age.

But then we got a quarterback and a decent head coach.

All-Pro's. Playoffs. Superbowls. Everyone jumped back on the bus. The 80's were forgotten about and the Bills were a franchise that everyone respected.

For cryin' out loud - have some perspective people.

Pretty funny article. The Bills competing in the AFC East is like your Uncle Ned running the Boston Marathon against the Kenyans. That's pretty good.

it is funny but just like everything else in the article im sure not original.

and oh btw, Bills ended up with the same divisional record this year as Jets .... hmmmm

Where's the outrage and mocking in the media regarding the retreads of retreads Wade and Norv, both getting three year contract extensions after proving they stink in the playoffs? I'd seriously rather have Gailey than those two proven losers.

Let me also ask, what's the difference between when the Giants hired Tom Coughlin and the Bills hiring of Chan Gailey? VERY similar coaches if you ask me.

Enough of the being made fun of stuff. This writer should take a look around the league and reevaluate exactly where Gailey ranks as a head coach. If Cowher thinks he was the man to take his head coaching job with the Steelers then who am I to argue. I hope Gailey makes all of the coaches who turned down the Bills job look like fools.

The same things being said about Wilson (and the team) today were all said in closely the same manner back in the horrible 80's... Doom. Gloom. "Forget it - I'm switching to another team." The only thing different is the number printed for Ralph's age.

But then we got a quarterback and a decent head coach.

All-Pro's. Playoffs. Superbowls. Everyone jumped back on the bus. The 80's were forgotten about and the Bills were a franchise that everyone respected.

For cryin' out loud - have some perspective people.

It is a good thing there was no Internet in the 1980s.....

You know what else if funny about that article? Now all of a sudden Rex Ryan is Bill Belicheat! Go back 7 weeks and tell me how many people were thinking that? The difference is you win a couple of games. And in the Jets case, they were handed the playoffs.

All Gaily has to do is improve the Bills by 3 games and we are a playoff team. Pick 3 games from last year and we are in the playoffs, not the Jets. Then Dick(less) Jauron is a genius! :ph34r: Keep our O-line intact and what happens in all the games we lost?

People need to get off the ledge. We may be miles from being a Super Bowl contender but we are not that far from the wild card.

PTR

this guy is a dickwad. i realize when you're writing an opinion piece about something as largely real-world irrelevant as sports, you have to have some poetic license. how about some stats or facts to back things up? how about a look at how bad Gailey's offense was the year he was there, how about a piece on how much sense it made for Haley to fire Gailey in KC because he sucked? How about a piece about RW hiring Nix being a bad move not because of his age or his funny first name, but how about how he sucked something awful in his work in prior locations?

in other words, instead of being some nerdy dickwad taking the easy way out and writing some piece of trash just because you can, how about getting off your a** and doing something different?

Where's the outrage and mocking in the media regarding the retreads of retreads Wade and Norv, both getting three year contract extensions after proving they stink in the playoffs? I'd seriously rather have Gailey than those two proven losers.

Let me also ask, what's the difference between when the Giants hired Tom Coughlin and the Bills hiring of Chan Gailey? VERY similar coaches if you ask me.

Enough of the being made fun of stuff. This writer should take a look around the league and reevaluate exactly where Gailey ranks as a head coach. If Cowher thinks he was the man to take his head coaching job with the Steelers then who am I to argue. I hope Gailey makes all of the coaches who turned down the Bills job look like fools.

Wade got a 2 year extension, but let's not quibble.

All Gaily has to do is improve the Bills by 3 games and we are a playoff team.

We could have gotten two of those games just by Leodis McFumble and Roscoe "Fair Catch" Parrish hanging on to the ball. Now, Gailey only has to find one more win. Playoffs here we come.

The fact is that while I realize I'm "hoping" that the front office and coaching changes lead to more wins and a better NFL reputation, some of the statements made were not intended to illicit heady football discussion or even controversy, but rather to just be another voice in a room full of siccophants that blindly believe there is only one blueprint for success in today's NFL. I don't know if Nix and Gailey and company will be successful, and like most of us, I have my own opinion on where we should start and the BILLS don't consult me (even though they should) but there are many things to love about Buffalo, and not just compared to Oakland....compared to any franchise.

Buffalo has 4 seasons, not just cool summer, hot summer, and fallish summer, and playing football in the Fall and into the winter in WNY is a great thing, they way football was intended to be played; another thing, we have passionate and in general knowledgable fans who love this team even when they continue to frustrate you and break your heart year-in and year-out; we do have a storied franchise with a long history of great players, and yes the last 10 years are not those I would count but I digress; a lower cost of living than many of the other "big" cities that offers a small-town atmosphere with some larger city conveniences; a town that will reward its players who give 100% of their efforts and loyalty to this franchise a god-like status and will be remembered and cherished in the annals of Buffalo history - and say what you want but some places, i.e. Los Angeles, don't offer the same type of love for football and its hometown heroes as Buffalo and its passionate fans do in Western and Central New York.

Buffalo is again starting from scratch and for that reason I find myself exhausted.....but still "hoping" for something to look forward to next season. So, I for one will be anticipating kickoff 2010.....with the caveat that the Free Agency period and the Draft go well

Buffalo is again starting from scratch and for that reason I find myself exhausted.....but still "hoping" for something to look forward to next season. So, I for one will be anticipating kickoff 2010.....with the caveat that the Free Agency period and the Draft go well

This guy who wrote this article is so funny. So funny that I want to sit on him. Stand up. and then sit on him again. :wallbash: and again. and again. ;) and again. and again. :thumbsup: Then I want to push his face in the snow bank outside my house. Take a break. :beer: Pull him out. and then sit on him again. and again :devil: ..............

Nix and Gailey are veterans who know what needs to happen. WTF. People need to Give'em a CHANCE. Can't wait for next year either:)