Billick never got a call.

Lori

Funny how all the negative press just a few days ago was all about the candidates who kept turning the Bills down -- and how there was no way that the team was going to even convince a quality candidate to seriously interview for the job. Now these same dirt bags are now ridiculing the Bills for NOT interviewing the likes of Billick, Marty, Martz, etc.

Sometimes team dynamics play an important role in hiring decisions. Billick is a good coach, but he comes across as a condescending ass, and I doubt that he and Nix would have been compatible.

I get the impression that Gailey wasn't even on the radar when Nix started his search. In discussions with Cowher (not necessarily a genuine interview), Cowher suggested that Nix talk to Gailey. Modrak seconded the nomination -- and once Nix spoke with Gailey, the two probably hit it off very well. In a way, it is similar to what happened with Marv and Jauron -- only now instead fo a couple of Ivy leagues, we have a couple of good ole boys -- a couple of good ole boys who know a lot about football.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2003, who's ridiculing the Bills for not interviewing Billick or Martz?

Add: well, other than Billick, who did everything short of marching up and down Abbott Road waving a "PLEASE HIRE ME" sign ...

The guy is the proverbial assclown with a gift of gab. You would think someone with his accomplishments would be sought after... but he is not. Because people who actually have followed what he has done and his role in that success - see him for what he is. A guy who lasted 7 years longer than he should have because he could talk his way out of an Al Qaeda prison camp.

This may be one of the best responses I've seen in awhile.

Has any team contact Billick to interview? There's got to be a good reason why. In his 9 years in Baltimore, the Ravens selected 5 offensive players in the 1st round. In 2000, he had 2 top picks and won up with Jamal Lewis (good) and Travis Taylor (yikes).

Billick will go down with George Seifert and Barry Switzer as the worse coaches with Super Bowl rings.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73757

Someone's feelings are bent. But considering that Billick himself seemed to be the only one tying his name to the job, can't say this news shocks me.

My reaction?

*shrug*

Apparently nobody else is calling him, either, despite the ring on his finger. Guessing there might be a reason for that.

JMO Lori but I think that Brain might have not gotten along with Ralph.

Buddy maybe, but he has some attitude in him and maybe Ralph did not want to go down that road at damn near 92.

If Billick had been hired the excitement level in Buffalo would be palpable. If you took a poll last week and put Chan Gailey on it with Billick, Marty Schottenheimer, Frazier and Fewell, Gailey would not have received a single vote.

Face it, it's a lame hire...a pathetic, retread yes-man who's just happy to have a job because nobody else wants him at any price.

"I just wanted to make sure I was clear that he (Nix) had not called," Billick said. "Why he had not called a coach with a Super Bowl ring, 10 wins a year for nine years, having orchestrated the highest-scoring offense and defense in the history of the league, is a question worth asking. But I never spoke with Mr. Nix."

:lol:

is this guy on something?

highest scoring offense in history? isnt that the pats*?

and as for the defense, he can thank marvin lewis for that.

10 wins a year? didnt he go 8-8 his first year and 5-11 in 2007 costing him his job?

you guys are trashing Billick, but a lot of the same comments could be used against Chan Gailey if the shoe was on the other foot.

Pretty much. The fallacy of arguing from a negative premise is ubiquitous here. Gailey hadn't been hired as an NFL HC in a decade, hence he will never get another gig and sucks.

I've never seen my neighbor mow his lawn; therefore, he must have astroturf, right? Nope. He has a service that comes and takes care of his yard because he travels frequently.

Pretty much. The fallacy of arguing from a negative premise is ubiquitous here. Gailey hadn't been hired as an NFL HC in a decade, hence he will never get another gig and sucks.

I've never seen my neighbor mow his lawn; therefore, he must have astroturf, right? Nope. He has a service that comes and takes care of his yard because he travels frequently.

But Gailey's still been in the business for all of that time, Todd Haley's "August Surprise" notwithstanding. Billick's spent the last two years in the broadcast booth, and now it sounds like that's not by his own choice. Why?

But Gailey's still been in the business for all of that time, Todd Haley's "August Surprise" notwithstanding. Billick's spent the last two years in the broadcast booth, and now it sounds like that's not by his own choice. Why?

Only two years out, so the 3 years at $5 million/year he was guaranteed from Baltimore, plus whatever he makes on top of that at NFL Network, would be pretty good motivators for him to sit out a couple years before considering another HC position. Meanwhile, if not for Buffalo, Gailey would never, never, ever have been even considered as an NFL HC again. Wonder why that is?

Only two years out, so the 3 years at $5 million/year he was guaranteed from Baltimore, plus whatever he makes on top of that at NFL Network, would be pretty good motivators for him to sit out a couple years before considering another HC position. Meanwhile, if not for Buffalo, Gailey would never, never, ever have been even considered as an NFL HC again. Wonder why that is?

Except for the word coming out that he supposedly WAS on a couple of other teams' short lists last season, and was also the guy Cowher suggested to the Steelers as his replacement.

Not sure how much of that's spin, though. Put it this way, Gailey's was certainly a name I didn't expect to hear.

Is Gailey unquestionably that much greater than Billick, Schottenheimer, Martz, Fassel, etc... that those guys didnt even warrant an interview? Wouldnt it be productive to hear what these guys had to say regarding the current roster and direction of the team?

Except for the word coming out that he supposedly WAS on a couple of other teams' short lists last season, and was also the guy Cowher suggested to the Steelers as his replacement.

Not sure how much of that's spin, though. Put it this way, Gailey's was certainly a name I didn't expect to hear.

Gailey's name has not been picked in the past 11 years he's been on the market, so why would anyone expect it? He has been on lists as a coordinator, and has served as one as recently as last year, but getting canned by KC in preseason certainly didn't make him more attractive as a HC. The alleged Cower endorsement is nothing more than lipstick on the Gailey pig.

Gailey's name has not been picked in the past 11 years he's been on the market, so why would anyone expect it? He has been on lists as a coordinator, and has served as one as recently as last year, but getting canned by KC in preseason certainly didn't make him more attractive as a HC. The alleged Cower endorsement is nothing more than lipstick on the Gailey pig.

you know...I'm really kind of tired of looking at your ****.

your avatar, that is.

Is Gailey unquestionably that much greater than Billick, Schottenheimer, Martz, Fassel, etc... that those guys didnt even warrant an interview? Wouldnt it be productive to hear what these guys had to say regarding the current roster and direction of the team?

Its highly unlikely that Fassel would have been approached again by the Bills considering how badly his interview went a few years ago with the Bills head honchos.

If Billick had been hired the excitement level in Buffalo would be palpable. If you took a poll last week and put Chan Gailey on it with Billick, Marty Schottenheimer, Frazier and Fewell, Gailey would not have received a single vote.

Face it, it's a lame hire...a pathetic, retread yes-man who's just happy to have a job because nobody else wants him at any price.

The fan excitement in Buffalo was "palpable" when we traded for Bledsoe, and when we signed TO....Fan excitement doesn't win football games. It does however put butts in the seats, temporarily. Maybe Buddy went for the better football coach, because winning is a better way to stoke fan excitement.