Time for Brohm fans to face reality

Albany,n.y.

Duh!

You don't that maybe the reason he didn't mention studying Brohm on film is because there's no film of him to study, and because Brohm has yet to see any significant playing time? :blink:

Gailey's a former college QB and a former QBs coach - he'll take a good long look at Brohm before deciding anything, but come September I'll bet that Brohm IS the Bills QB, Fitzpatrick the backup, and Edwards is gone.

Im with you as long as we dont draft this position. Brohm and fitz are the only two of the three here still. Edwards days as a Bills player are behind him. I thing the offensive minded coach drafts offence and the GM brings in those peices to get a better look at the QBs we have for next year. After that we will draft starter material if need be.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why you chose to ignore the first part of his answer, where he went to great lengths to say that he's not in any position to talk about the QB situation because he hasn't seen any film, nor evaluated the roster? Then he threw a bone at the press by talking about "two guys" who got most of the snaps.

The way I read his answer is that he'll look at them all, and probably decide to dump all of them after watching film.

Of all the things said by Nix & Gailey, one thing should jolt the people who think Brian Brohm is our QB of the future into reality:

Gailey was noncommittal on the quarterback situation. He and Nix have discussed the status of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Trent Edwards, but Gailey said he needs time to study the players on film before making an honest evaluation of them.

"I know both guys have had some success playing in the NFL, but they have not done it for a length of time with consistency," Gailey said. "Can they? We're going to decide that."

Brohm was not mentioned, because that's how little he is regarded by the guys in charge. He was a 3rd stringer plucked off a practice squad after nobody else was even willing to claim him off waivers just 1 year after being a 2nd round pick.

It's time to face reality, Brohm fans. He may be YOUR starting QB for 2010, but he will not be the Bills starting QB.

:unsure: amazing to the level jealous Trent fans will go to!

Duh!

You don't that maybe the reason he didn't mention studying Brohm on film is because there's no film of him to study, and because Brohm has yet to see any significant playing time? :unsure:

Gailey's a former college QB and a former QBs coach - he'll take a good long look at Brohm before deciding anything, but come September I'll bet that Brohm IS the Bills QB, Fitzpatrick the backup, and Edwards is gone.

Here's the main problem with your premise: In his post-press conference interview on the Bills website, Gailey was asked when he would have the QBs evaluated, he said: Before the draft & somewhere during free agency. So if he plans on doing the evaluation before the draft, and there are no live practices before the draft and, as you state there's no film to study him, how is Gailey going to evaluate him? He's not going into camp on a wing & a prayer. He will base his decisions on the QBs before the draft & will decide whether he wants to go with either Fitzpatrick or Edwards or move on. Most likely he'll decide that Fitzpatrick is a viable #2 (as you predict), then he'll have to decide if Edwards is a lost cause or not. If he does see Edwards as a lost cause, the team will either acquire another team's QB before the 1st camp, or draft a guy on day 1.

Any way you look at it, with the timetable established, Brohm is nothing more than an afterthought. Whatever the reason, the Bills decision makers don't view Brohm as a viable option to start next season. That's why Gailey only mentioned 2 and can make his evaluation before he ever gets to see Brohm on the field in front of him. Just like the rest of the pros who didn't bat an eye when he hit the waiver wire.

One more thing: Gailey also said: After the first year. you have to be a pro. Brohm is going on his 3rd year and hasn't proven to anyone but his fans who liked his demeanor while putting 3 points on the board in Atlanta that he is ready to be a pro, nevermind starting. The more one hears what Gailey says, the less of a factor Brohm becomes.

Of all the things said by Nix & Gailey, one thing should jolt the people who think Brian Brohm is our QB of the future into reality:

Gailey was noncommittal on the quarterback situation. He and Nix have discussed the status of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Trent Edwards, but Gailey said he needs time to study the players on film before making an honest evaluation of them.

"I know both guys have had some success playing in the NFL, but they have not done it for a length of time with consistency," Gailey said. "Can they? We're going to decide that."

Brohm was not mentioned, because that's how little he is regarded by the guys in charge. He was a 3rd stringer plucked off a practice squad after nobody else was even willing to claim him off waivers just 1 year after being a 2nd round pick.

It's time to face reality, Brohm fans. He may be YOUR starting QB for 2010, but he will not be the Bills starting QB.

I think you're reading too much into Gailey's comments. He's only been here a short while, and is probably focused more on putting his staff together than evaluating the Bills' QB position. That will come later. The fact that Edwards and Fitzpatrick--but not Brohm--jumped to mind when Gailey was asked about the QB position is probably because Brohm only had one start.

If in a couple of months Gailey still isn't mentioning Brohm when describing the Bills' quarterback situation, then it might mean something. But for right now, it's probably unwise to read too much into the comments of a guy in his first week at his new job, who's still getting his feet under him.

Here is the definative answer for this argument, IF Chan Gailey is a teacher and he is building a staff of teachers, then he will evaluate ALL rostered personnel before anyone gets cut into the street. The film on Brian Brohm is now property of the Buffalo Bills and when he watches him under center against Atlanta, he will be sufficiently intreged to let him wander into camp at St. John's Fisher in July to vie for the obvious OPENING at QB for the Bills, plain and simple!!

Here's the main problem with your premise: In his post-press conference interview on the Bills website, Gailey was asked when he would have the QBs evaluated, he said: Before the draft & somewhere during free agency. So if he plans on doing the evaluation before the draft, and there are no live practices before the draft and, as you state there's no film to study him, how is Gailey going to evaluate him? He's not going into camp on a wing & a prayer. He will base his decisions on the QBs before the draft & will decide whether he wants to go with either Fitzpatrick or Edwards or move on. Most likely he'll decide that Fitzpatrick is a viable #2 (as you predict), then he'll have to decide if Edwards is a lost cause or not. If he does see Edwards as a lost cause, the team will either acquire another team's QB before the 1st camp, or draft a guy on day 1.

Any way you look at it, with the timetable established, Brohm is nothing more than an afterthought. Whatever the reason, the Bills decision makers don't view Brohm as a viable option to start next season. That's why Gailey only mentioned 2 and can make his evaluation before he ever gets to see Brohm on the field in front of him. Just like the rest of the pros who didn't bat an eye when he hit the waiver wire.

One more thing: Gailey also said: After the first year. you have to be a pro. Brohm is going on his 3rd year and hasn't proven to anyone but his fans who liked his demeanor while putting 3 points on the board in Atlanta that he is ready to be a pro, nevermind starting. The more one hears what Gailey says, the less of a factor Brohm becomes.

do you just want attention or do u believe this BS ...you read into the comments wayyyy too much

How awful was he in GB, Billy? Just maybe not quite as bad as some of you "know nothings" are pushing for some stupid reason. You know that in the last 3 pre-season games, playing with the super scrubs, he passed for a 70% completion average? Additionally, if you watched the 1 game he played with us, just barely knowing who our 1st team receivers were and having almost no time to look down-field with all the blitzing going on, he looked pretty darned calm out there, threw the ball pretty darned well, and the 2 picks were first, a slightly under-thrown 50 some yard ball in the endzone which the DB made a great play on, and the 2nd was a fabulous pickoff on, again, a slightly under-thrown ball.

All in all, Billy, Brohm looked pretty darned comfortable in the pocket considering it was his first NFL start EVER and Atlanta absolutely threw the kitchen sink at him.

In short, I think your criticisms are ignorant and unwarranted. :thumbsup:

Haha, right on, well stated. First of all, for someone to declare that Brohm has already been ruled out as a possible QB option for the Bills is completely ridiculous, and secondly, there are far too many 'fans' on here who don't actually seem to watch the games, or if they do, don't really understand what they are seeing. For Brohm to do what he did, in his first ever start, with an offensive scheme that was almost entirely new to him, with such a pitiful, patchwork offensive line in front of him, was very good. Its hard enough to play QB at any level, understanding protection schemes, reading coverages, etc., but to be thrown in like that, Brohm acquitted himself well.

Is this thread some sort of a joke? Why so much venom toward Brohm supporters? I didn't realize people were erecting shrines for the guy, and touting his skills to the point that we had to be "jolted" back to reality.

Personally, I like Brohm. No idea if he's the savior of the franchise or not, but at this point he clearly is the only QB on the roster with the potential to be a top tier QB. So here's a "jolt" back at ya: He's worth a look, and he'll get it.

So he needs time to study the players on film? I see nothing there that says anything, negative or positive, about Brian Brohm's future with the Bills.

Brian Brohm will be the 2010 starter ... if he's the best QB on the squad in practice. It's as simple as that.

Nothing there.

Wake up!

The talent evaluators in the NFL, not the fans, nnot me, have said through their actions he's a bust.

So was Brees a bust through three years. Things were different in the fourth year.

It's too early to tell about this guy. You're the one who needs to wake up.

+1

The other thing to remember is that the current regime in GB was able to evaluate Aaron Rodgers based entirely on his performance in practice and during pre-season games, and what they saw gave them enough confidence to take a huge gamble by getting rid of Favre and handing the keys to Rodgers. Had they been wrong, Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy would have been run out of town. Maybe Brohm never got a chance to play with GB, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the idea that they whiffed on the guy.

Three years of practice. Not a year and a half.

In fact, there were a lot of questions about Rodgers, especially through his first two years.

Here's the main problem with your premise: In his post-press conference interview on the Bills website, Gailey was asked when he would have the QBs evaluated, he said: Before the draft & somewhere during free agency. So if he plans on doing the evaluation before the draft, and there are no live practices before the draft and, as you state there's no film to study him, how is Gailey going to evaluate him? He's not going into camp on a wing & a prayer. He will base his decisions on the QBs before the draft & will decide whether he wants to go with either Fitzpatrick or Edwards or move on.

That is a fine guess, indeed. It's very possible. The problem is that it is a guess.

He will evaluate Brohm with the tools available. He'll talk to the scouts who acquired him and ask why. He'll watch the game he actually played. There is a very good chance indeed that many practices are on film. He'll talk to Van Pelt and the QB coaches (they're still on staff, though free to look for other jobs) and ask their opinions.

It just will not be all that difficult to put an opinion together.

So was Brees a bust through three years. Things were different in the fourth year.

It's too early to tell about this guy. You're the one who needs to wake up.

I agree Thurman. What is this guy's deal? He all came in here like "What up now all you Brohm fans??? AWWW YEAHHH BOYEEEE, you just got JOLTED" and all this and such kinda jargon that only Albany can produce. I don't think anyone around here anointed Brohm as the chosen one or anything. The guy has potential and deserves a serious look, no doubt about that. How anyone could argue that and be so ruthless as the gentleman from Albany toward his fellow Bills brethren is not only beyond me, but truly absurd. Anyone who would do such a thing is clearly a MAROON!

Here is the definative answer for this argument, IF Chan Gailey is a teacher and he is building a staff of teachers, then he will evaluate ALL rostered personnel before anyone gets cut into the street. The film on Brian Brohm is now property of the Buffalo Bills and when he watches him under center against Atlanta, he will be sufficiently intreged to let him wander into camp at St. John's Fisher in July to vie for the obvious OPENING at QB for the Bills, plain and simple!!

Yup. Brohm's salary is relatively small. There's virtually no reason for him not to keep Brohm around at least through training camp.

I wonder why you chose to ignore the first part of his answer, where he went to great lengths to say that he's not in any position to talk about the QB situation because he hasn't seen any film, nor evaluated the roster? Then he threw a bone at the press by talking about "two guys" who got most of the snaps.

The way I read his answer is that he'll look at them all, and probably decide to dump all of them after watching film.

Maybe not immediately, but I don't see Gailey and Nix thinking they want to run a variant of the dink and dunk West Coast offense in Orchard Park. So, yeah, the 3 dinking and dunking amigos aren't the future.

Maybe not immediately, but I don't see Gailey and Nix thinking they want to run a variant of the dink and dunk West Coast offense in Orchard Park. So, yeah, the 3 dinking and dunking amigos aren't the future.

Wow..... I can't believe some of the comments about Brohm. Give the guy a chance to work in the OTA's, training camp and some preseason games. If he sucks then its not much of a loss. I do think he has some natural talent and tools to be a good qb. Whether or not that comes to fruition is up to him and the coaches putting him in the right system and playing to his strengths.

To throw him to the wolves based upon one game, which was his first ever start in the NFL, with a new team and not much practice time and no offensive line, I thought he actually did about as good as could be expected. No he didn't look like Payton Manning, but he did show some poise and a strong arm.

Give the guy a realistic chance.

Besides, why is it automatic that the Chan was talking about Edwards? The guy didn't even finish out the season. For all we know, the other guy he was referring to was the Chroisen one.