Sexy hire doesn't win!?!?!?!

Sanners

I dedicate this thread to prove where a sexy big name hire wins... Name examples in the NFL.

I agree with you, look at Tom Donahoe--he was a sexy pick.

That being said--there are a lot of examples. Bill Parcells being the one that comes to mind instantly.

I agree with you, look at Tom Donahoe--he was a sexy pick.

That being said--there are a lot of examples. Bill Parcells being the one that comes to mind instantly.

Yep, Bill Parcells. The guy who jumps to every franchise when it suits him (with a huge monetary stipulation). I agree, but he is very calculating. I don't blame him for that, but he does calculate every career move he makes. If the Bills were in a different situation talent wise, he may have started sniffing around.

Next

Look up Marty's coaching record everyplace he went. Any other questions?

Yep. Marty had his chance, and he really didn't do it right. Levy's Bills beat the crap out of him.

San Diego was his swan song, and he got fired.

Next.

Yep, Bill Parcells. The guy who jumps to every franchise when it suits him (with a huge monetary stipulation). I agree, but he is very calculating. I don't blame him for that, but he does calculate every career move he makes. If the Bills were in a different situation talent wise, he may have started sniffing around.

Next

So you're saying the Dolphins were a talent-laden bunch when he took over? Or the Pats? Or the Giants? The Cowboys I'll give you, simply because I have no interest in looking up what their roster looked like when he took over. I think Quincy Carter was their QB though, and they were desperate enough to take that pitcher from Michigan.

I dedicate this thread to prove where a sexy big name hire wins... Name examples in the NFL.

Success (you can define how sexy the hire was)

Gruden to Tampa Bay - SB

Dungy to Indy - SB

Parcells to Dallas - playoffs

Holmgren to Seattle - SB trip

Vermeil to KC - won a fair amount of games with a good offense

Failures

Jimmy Johnson to Miami (mostly a failure)

Mariucci to Detroit

George Seifert to Carolina

Dave Wanstedt anywhere

Ditka to New Orleans

Spurrier to Redskins

So you're saying the Dolphins were a talent-laden bunch when he took over? Or the Pats? Or the Giants? The Cowboys I'll give you, simply because I have no interest in looking up what their roster looked like when he took over. I think Quincy Carter was their QB though, and they were desperate enough to take that pitcher from Michigan.

Not saying that, but he has really prolonged his legacy by jumping ship and being a free agent when its convenient.

BTW, he isn't coaching the Dolphins.

I will lay this out right now. I hate everything about Parcells, and that fat ass Tuna, so I will probably be biased.

Yep. Marty had his chance, and he really didn't do it right. Levy's Bills beat the crap out of him.

San Diego was his swan song, and he got fired.

Next.

This franchise needs credibility, and someone who that can rebuild disasters. Marty has proven that he can do that time and again. This team is several steps away from competing for a Super Bowl, so his lack of playoff success is really irrelevant at this point.

The first step, again, is credibility. This franchise has none. Marty would have brought a great deal of that instantly, which would allow them to at least compete to attract good coordinators, assistants, and some hope in free agency. Gailey brings none of that.

Belichek was the subject of an intense battle between the Jets and Pats, the only teams he made himself available to.

He wasn't a sexy hire?

He didn't leave himself out there for long....he was the DC for the Jets under Parcells and the entire civilized world assumed he would take the Jets job after Parcells left. Nobody knew he was dealing with Kraft....a very smart owner for the record. It was all done very quietly.

Had he announced he was looking around outside of NY, every franchise looking at that time (prob except teh Bills) would have went after him hard.

What exactly did Parcells do in Dallas again? In fact, wtf has Parcells done since appearing in a Superbowl with New England?

Nothing ICE.

Welcome back by the way. I think you should go back to your normal handle.

This franchise needs credibility, and someone who that can rebuild disasters. Marty has proven that he can do that time and again. This team is several steps away from competing for a Super Bowl, so his lack of playoff success is really irrelevant at this point.

The first step, again, is credibility. This franchise has none. Marty would have brought a great deal of that instantly, which would allow them to at least compete to attract good coordinators, assistants, and some hope in free agency. Gailey brings none of that.

You get credibility by winning. simple.

Marty is 66 and out of football for 3 years, and I am not sure if that brings credibility.

Gailey brings a genius offensive mind to a team that needs to be resuscitated from near a serious coma on offense.

Marty??? Are you serious?

I would have liked Gailey as OC. He's another guy who has great success as a coordinator but hasn't translated that into the top spot.

I am hopeful that he can make the offense watchable again. I just don't think he has the track record that the Bills needed to quickly get out of the laughingstock status that they find themselves in.

You're right that winning will solve that. It is possible that Gailey will build a winner. The task will just be that much tougher because Gailey doesn't bring the juice/buzz that the franchise needs with their current status in order to attract top candidates in the coaching ranks and free agency.

Holmgren - Seattle

Bellicheck Pats

Holmgren - I'll concede that point, but Bellicheck, is totally different. Just before his Patriots hire, he scrawled out on a freakin' napkin his resignation to the Jets, and he had been horrible overall before going to the Patriots. Now, I can't stand Bellicheat, but he obviously turned that franchise around, with a 6th round QB (Brady) at that....and even Holmgren, he may have been a "sexy" pick going to Seattle, but what about when he was hired at Green Bay, wasn't he a coordinator prior to that hire? What about Dick Vermeil....he hadn't coached in years before going to St. Louis and winning a Super Bowl....what about Gruden, who wasn't "Gruden" in name when he was first hired??? In other words, I realize we all wanted a NAME coach, but I think it might be a little early to jump ship, we should see what staff Gailey puts together and how the Free Agents that are brought in are handled and how the draft goes, but I think we should step away from the ledge and re-evaluate in May to see if we're heading in the right direction....

I would have liked Gailey as OC. He's another guy who has great success as a coordinator but hasn't translated that into the top spot.

I am hopeful that he can make the offense watchable again. I just don't think he has the track record that the Bills needed to quickly get out of the laughingstock status that they find themselves in.

You're right that winning will solve that. It is possible that Gailey will build a winner. The task will just be that much tougher because Gailey doesn't bring the juice/buzz that the franchise needs with their current status in order to attract top candidates in the coaching ranks and free agency.

I like Gailey as OC, but I like him as HC too.

But this isn't on point... Sexy hires?

Marty Schottenheimer has taken 3 teams to the playoffs and has coached teams to 15 winning seasons and only 2 losing seasons as an NFL head coach

and I'm pretty sure he is considered a big name

Marty Schottenheimer has taken 3 teams to the playoffs and has coached teams to 15 winning seasons and only 2 losing seasons as an NFL head coach

and I'm pretty sure he is considered a big name

Yep and the rest of the NFL and Levy B word slapped him around even when he had a major talent advantage.

Look up Marty's coaching record everyplace he went. Any other questions?

I'm not enamored with Schottenheimer's coaching. In Kansas City, his offenses were known as being dull, predictable, and second-rate. Then there was his experience with the Chargers . . .

In 2001, the Chargers drafted Drew Brees. In 2002, Schottenheimer became the Chargers' head coach. Going into the 2004 draft, the Chargers felt they'd seen enough of Drew Brees to determine he was not the answer at quarterback.

How do you coach badly enough to conclude that Drew Brees is not the answer?!?!

Schottenheimer was another Wade Phillips: a guy who made sure his defenses were well-coached, but who was never able to bring that good coaching to his teams' offenses. Both coaches have winning records, and neither coach has done anything special in the playoffs. A good defense plus a mistake-free but unimaginative offense can carry your team only so far.

You get credibility by winning. simple.

Marty is 66 and out of football for 3 years, and I am not sure if that brings credibility.

Gailey brings a genius offensive mind to a team that needs to be resuscitated from near a serious coma on offense.

Marty??? Are you serious?

First time I've heard ANYONE refer to Chan Gailey as a "genius" in any respects. For all his genius, he couldn't get past the preseason as OC of the Chiefs. Gailey is far from a genius - he may do well when he has the talent to work with, but to call him a genius, would imply that he would do well with sub par talent. Point to one instance in which he took subpar talent and finished top 10 in every major offensive category. I love the spin that optimistic Bills fans continue to put on things. I of course am hoping that Gailey goes undefeated next year, but history tells me otherwise...

I'm not enamored with Schottenheimer's coaching. In Kansas City, his offenses were known as being dull, predictable, and second-rate. Then there was his experience with the Chargers . . .

In 2001, the Chargers drafted Drew Brees. In 2002, Schottenheimer became the Chargers' head coach. Going into the 2004 draft, the Chargers felt they'd seen enough of Drew Brees to determine he was not the answer at quarterback.

How do you coach badly enough to conclude that Drew Brees is not the answer?!?!

Schottenheimer was another Wade Phillips: a guy who made sure his defenses were well-coached, but who was never able to bring that good coaching to his teams' offenses. Both coaches have winning records, and neither coach has done anything special in the playoffs. A good defense plus a mistake-free but unimaginative offense can carry your team only so far.

all you did with this post was prove how little you actually know

The Chargers were terrible when Marty took over and Brees struggled in the NFL before having a breakout year in 2004 which ironically was the same year they drafted Rivers

Brees threw for 3127 yards and 27 TDs in 2004 and 3576 Yards and 24 TDs in 2005 and if he didnt hurt his shoulder he might still be a Charger...before 2004 he threw a combined 29 TDs in 3 seasons so he was still a question mark

they also had this guy named Ladainian Tomlinson that they handed the ball to a lot

but yeah they didnt have any offense

First time I've heard ANYONE refer to Chan Gailey as a "genius" in any respects. For all his genius, he couldn't get past the preseason as OC of the Chiefs. Gailey is far from a genius - he may do well when he has the talent to work with, but to call him a genius, would imply that he would do well with sub par talent. Point to one instance in which he took subpar talent and finished top 10 in every major offensive category. I love the spin that optimistic Bills fans continue to put on things. I of course am hoping that Gailey goes undefeated next year, but history tells me otherwise...

OK "genius" was too much according to your definition, but who is a genius in your words? Enlighten me please, and I say that with all do respect.

Trust me I am not that optimistic, but I am realistic.

I could take a dump in a cup and name it head coach and half the board would B word and half the board would find a way to justify it. This is what the wonderboy counts on.... Markets the Marv Levy clone approach.. You see.. Gailey is the same age as Marv kinda like Jauron was an IVY league guy.... Blah Blah Blah... Name anyone for headcoach and this board would have the same damn posts...

OK "genius" was too much according to your definition, but who is a genius in your words? Enlighten me please, and I say that with all do respect.

Trust me I am not that optimistic, but I am realistic.

There aren't many geniuses - that's the point. The only coaches you could tab "genius" are the ones who were innovative; started a scheme that was totally new. Walsh started the west coast offense and took the NFL by storm - genius. Belichek, as much as I hate him, is a defensive genius. Dick LeBeau is the architect of the zone blitz scheme - and was a genius in his time, until the rest of the NFL caught up to him. Whoever designed the Bears "46" defense and so on and so forth. A genius is an individual who either creates a scheme that takes the NFL by storm, or gets much more out of the roster that he has. I don't throw the term around as loosely as you do. Chan Gailey a genius?! Please...

There aren't many geniuses - that's the point. The only coaches you could tab "genius" are the ones who were innovative; started a scheme that was totally new. Walsh started the west coast offense and took the NFL by storm - genius. Belichek, as much as I hate him, is a defensive genius. Dick LeBeau is the architect of the zone blitz scheme - and was a genius in his time, until the rest of the NFL caught up to him. Whoever designed the Bears "46" defense and so on and so forth. A genius is an individual who either creates a scheme that takes the NFL by storm, or gets much more out of the roster that he has. I don't throw the term around as loosely as you do. Chan Gailey a genius?! Please...

OK... Thanks for your input.

Belichek, a defensive genius? How was that this year?

Buddy Ryan designed the 46 defense btw...

"I don't throw the term around as loosely as you do."

I think you do, and you don't have a clue, who you are talking about.

Gailey has coached up more offenses higher in ranking than you know about...

Maybe genius is an overstatement in your eyes, but I view his accomplishments as such.

OK... Thanks for your input.

Belichek, a defensive genius? How was that this year?

Buddy Ryan designed the 46 defense btw...

"I don't throw the term around as loosely as you do."

I think you do, and you don't have a clue, who you are talking about.

Gailey has coached up more offenses higher in ranking than you know about...

Maybe genius is an overstatement in your eyes, but I view his accomplishments as such.

So you're disputing that Belichek is a defensive genius, yet you're labeling Chan Gailey an offensive genius?!?! Dude you lose ALL credibility in whatever else you decide to post. But since you asked, I went and looked up the numbers from the Patsies* defensive unit (without Rodney Harrison, Vrabel, Seau, Bruschi, Seymour, Samuel, and I'm sure I'm omitting others, but I don't care. I'm not going to do the homework - it's the Patsies*)

Total defense: #11

Total points allowed: #5

3rd Down Pct: #12

Yes, Belichek is a defensive genius.

I don't have a clue who I'm talking about? Because I tabbed Walsh, LeBeau, Belichek, and "whoever orchestrated the 46 defense"? Sorry if I didn't feel like looking up the name, I figured you would get the point. I'll make sure that I do my homework the next time, so that I may sound more well informed; leaving you able to comprehend. If you feel that calling those individuals a genius in the sport is loosely thrown around on my part, then you don't know football.

Go back to feeling that Chan Gailey is a genius, while Belichek is an also ran. Dude, I know your glasses are rosy, but you're crossing over into stupidity..