Sexy hire doesn't win!?!?!?!

Sanners

Dumb thread idea.

What's even dumber, is the OP's belief that Chan Gailey is an offensive genius. He doesn't stop there - he tries to discredit "the hoodie" Bill Belichek as a defensive genius. Belichek has a handful of SB rings, but Gailey is the genius. :blink:

Belichek, a defensive genius? How was that this year?

Gailey has coached up more offenses higher in ranking than you know about...

Maybe genius is an overstatement in your eyes, but I view his accomplishments as such.

Jauron wasn't a sexy hire. But wait, that argument leads us to conclude....

No one is asking for a sexy hire, we were promised a proven HC that could turn the franchise around. What we got was a guy that could not turn Georgia Tech around.

Good grief... there is no silver lining behind this cloud unless assistant coaches that are better than Gailey fall in our laps, or aliens switch his brain with one from a competent NFL coach.

all you did with this post was prove how little you actually know

The Chargers were terrible when Marty took over and Brees struggled in the NFL before having a breakout year in 2004 which ironically was the same year they drafted Rivers

Brees threw for 3127 yards and 27 TDs in 2004 and 3576 Yards and 24 TDs in 2005 and if he didnt hurt his shoulder he might still be a Charger...before 2004 he threw a combined 29 TDs in 3 seasons so he was still a question mark

they also had this guy named Ladainian Tomlinson that they handed the ball to a lot

but yeah they didnt have any offense

My earlier point was this: after Brees' third year in the league, the Chargers were ready to go in a different direction. That's how badly Brees was playing. How much of the blame for that should fall on Schottenheimer and the coaching staff he'd created? Considering that Schottenheimer was Brees' head coach for the second and third year of that, probably a fair amount.

You correctly pointed out that Brees played well in years 4 and 5 of his career--also with Schottenheimer as his head coach. Fair enough. But getting Brees to play well is like teaching a fish to swim: it shouldn't be all that hard to do!

In contrast, Chan Gailey got guys like Kordell Stewart, Jay Fielder, and Mike Tomczak to play well--which is sort of like teaching a brontosaurus how to swim!

I dedicate this thread to prove where a sexy big name hire wins... Name examples in the NFL.

I was pondering that the other day myself.

Jimmy Johnson in Miami ZIP, Bill Parcells in Dallas, Miami ZIP.

Were are some of those Big Time HC's today? On TV commenting on the game.