Am i wrong for being excited for next year?

zer0vette

I'm not predicting anything, but I'm definitely looking forward to next year. I don't expect the world, but how bout being in the race for a playoff spot. we'll see. Who would have thought the jets would be where they are..

There is nothing wrong being optimistic about next year. Looking forward to see who our offensive and defensive coordinators are going to be as well as the strength and conditioning coach.

There is nothing wrong being optimistic about next year. We need to upgrade about 4 different postion areas of the football team in order to improve and talk realitically about the playoffs.

QB

2 Tackles

2 Defensive Ends

1 or 2 LB's (depending on what they plan on doing with Maybin)

1 or 2 WR's (If TO doesn't sign & if Reed is gone)

I'm not predicting anything, but I'm definitely looking forward to next year. I don't expect the world, but how bout being in the race for a playoff spot. we'll see. Who would have thought the jets would be where they are..

Yes, yes you are very very very horribly wrong.

Bill Belichick - incumbent since 2000

Rex Ryan - incumbent since 2009

Tony Sparano/Bill Parcells - incumbent since 2008

Chan Gailey - new hire

Which one of these names is not like the others? Which one of these names just doesn't belong? We have to beat out at least two of those other gentlemen to even be in a playoff discussion. Let me put up another list to illustrate the point:

Marv Levy - incumbent since 1986

Don Shula - incumbent since dinosaurs were new

Bill Parcells - incumbent since 1993

Ted Marchibroda - incumbent since 1992

Rich Kotite - new hire

These were the coaches in the AFC East in 1995. Was there any chance in hell that the Jets were going to beat out 3 of those 4 names for a playoff spot? Guess which team was flat out terrible. FWIW: Leon Hess was quoted at Kotite's hiring as saying "I'm 80 years old, I want to win now!" <edit> Kotite's career record at the time was 36-28 and he'd made the playoffs once and won 1 playoff game. He had finished 10-6, 11-5 (made playoffs), 8-8, and 7-9.

As for your comment re: the Jets you could at least see the path to success the second Ryan was hired. The Jets were going to play tough defense and run the ball in order to win. What exactly will Chan Gailey's philosophy toward winning be this coming year? What is the blueprint to victory? Is it running or passing, is it pressure defense or passive?

This hire is going to kill the franchise. There I said it. It will kill the entire franchise.

To save thousands and thousands of season ticket cancellations, look for the Bills to be active in free agency. I'm more excited about the next 5 months than I am about next season.

As has been the case the last decade.

Very astute observation. We must all not forget that Russy Brandon has been promoted as part of this "reorg". And I can almost guarantee a move orchestrated by him to sell tickets... because Nix and Gailey is going to get MUCHO bad press across the NFL and Bills fans will be canceling tickets in droves. The problem is that "Russy's" past moves have been more to satisfy the fans than to build a winning team. If we continue to make moves that are designed to sell tickets and not necessarily win, we are doomed to failure. EVERYTHING Buffalo has done the last 10 years has been related to selling tickets NEXT year... not building a winner. I'm surprised that Bills fans have gone on the ride this long... but they/we are not stupid. It's coming to an end if they don't start getting it right.

The "Toronto Fiasco" is a good case in point. Brandon is hailed as a "smart marketing guy" for expanding the revenue base via the Toronto series. Yet, when you look at why the Bills 1st 8 coach and GM choices turned them down, one of the reasons is "not knowing where the franchise will be located". Like it or not, the "Fiasco" has given the Bills a league-wide perception as being in trouble... why else would you give away your home-field advantage? THIS is short-term thinking... of which Brandon (and apparently Ralph) is great at.

No one is wrong for being excited. We all respond to different levels of stimuli. Apparently, you are an easily excitable guy. Just remember that the higher you are, the more it hurts when you fall on your face - or more accurately when the Bills fall on theirs. Best to tone it down a little until we see those division rivals start to panic. :lol:

We just hired a guy who hasnt done anything to stand away from mediocrity in the past 8 years, who announces he doesnot have plans to hire an OC other then maybe a slave for his paperwork and is presented as being known as someone who works miracles with crappy Quarterbacks (translation we will not draft a QB nor trade for one).

This is how the season will go:

1. We'll sign Vince Wilfork

2. We'll draft heavily for the 3-4 switch

3. We'll draft a LT

4. Everybody giddy and renewing their season tickets

5. The offense will still suck monkeyballs and we'll be happy to compete for 3rd position in the AFC East.

Add replacements for Modrak & Guy.

They could probably replace Guy anytime at this point. No way they are going to replace Modrak until after the draft. What is the use of him scouting games all fall and then canning him before the draft? Nix doesn't have to pick the players Modrak suggests in all cases and he can fire him after the draft if he wants to bring in his own guy.

Im excited. Im always excited about my Bills. Im happy Dick aint here and Nix is. Gailey has experience and we will field a more competetive team that in years past. I can't wait for offseason activity to begin. But it looks like 'Smithers' is going to have to work some of his patented magic to convince the majority of "fans" to still root for this team.