Genesis: Better With or Without Gabriel?

truth on hold

BTW, Many, many years ago I saw Mike and the Mechanics at FLPAC. I had bought one of Rutherford's solo albums and liked it. During the concert he said that the next song was off the solo album I had bought which made me "Woot". Mike turned my way and said; "Oh, you're the one who bought it." :thumbsup:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, Many, many years ago I saw Mike and the Mechanics at FLPAC. I had bought one of Rutherford's solo albums and liked it. During the concert he said that the next song was off the solo album I had bought which made me "Woot". Mike turned my way and said; "Oh, you're the one who bought it." :cry:

I confess. I bought it too. And like it. My missus met him when he played in a Lockport bar many years ago. She was 'invited' back stage with total disregard for the ring on her finger.. :thumbsup:

To the thread's question: better with Gabriel, IMO.

Does anyboday else remember the Genesis tribute band called Pegasus? They used to play McVays on Niagara Street(at least I think that was the name). They did the full Genesis show, with all the costumes etc. Think I saw them at least two or three times in early 80 or 81..what I really remember is being so broke having to pull a Lynch and smuggle in beers. Anyways, they were pretty good..just wondering of other Genesis geeks went to those shows.

Does anyboday else remember the Genesis tribute band called Pegasus? They used to play McVays on Niagara Street(at least I think that was the name). They did the full Genesis show, with all the costumes etc. Think I saw them at least two or three times in early 80 or 81..what I really remember is being so broke having to pull a Lynch and smuggle in beers. Anyways, they were pretty good..just wondering of other Genesis geeks went to those shows.

I used to go see Over The Garden Wall at the Penny Arcade here in Rochester - a great tribute band from Toronto.

I seem to remember a band called "805" that played a lot of Genesis.

and then

Now I like the old Genesis much better, I love Gabriel's theatrics. But I will say this whichever you say is better you must agree that they are very different.

has any band ever experienced as much a drop off in musical integrity before? i know plenty of them get more commercial, but geez.

question: what was the deal with gabriel shaving the middle of his head? kind of a reverse mohawk

i am sure if i took the time to look, i could find something from gabriel era genesis that sucked...i am not going to let one or two songs from any of their eras...ant phillips, gabriel, w/hacket, w/o hacket, ray wilson, define the band that I like so much...

But you have to admit that Abacab suuuuuuuuucks. :rolleyes:

i am sure if i took the time to look, i could find something from gabriel era genesis that sucked...i am not going to let one or two songs from any of their eras...ant phillips, gabriel, w/hacket, w/o hacket, ray wilson, define the band that I like so much...

In my mind Abacab is only the best example of a whole string of songs that Genesis did that sucked after Gabriel left. They just went in a much more commercial direction and they lost me. But music is very subjective and those are just my opinions of course.

In totality the band hit an artistic peak with Gabriel culminating in the LLDOB. Foxtrot, and Selling England by the Pound were also prog rock materpieces. I thought the first 2 post Gabriel era albums Trick of the Tale and Wind and Wuthering were excellent albums in their own right and compare very favorably with the Gabriel era material.

Things went downhill for me as a fan after guitarist Steve Hackket left the band. The followup album And then there were Three is not bad at all, very heavy in Tony Banks keyboards and overall melancholy feel. The single Follow You, Follow Me was preview of the popier sound the band would take in subsequent years. Duke is alright but Abacab to me was a fiasco and I lost interest them afterwards.

steve perry was replaced by a glorified karaoke singer(yeah ok, that's a bit of a stretch)....never saw anyone from Over the Garden Wall, Pegasus, or 805 get that chance with Genesis...(Yeah I know this shoots the hell out of my rave reviews about my latest Yes concerts). :lol:

Excellent question, PF.

steve perry was replaced by a glorified karaoke singer(yeah ok, that's a bit of a stretch)....never saw anyone from Over the Garden Wall, Pegasus, or 805 get that chance with Genesis...(Yeah I know this shoots the hell out of my rave reviews about my latest Yes concerts). :ph34r:

I was just going to bring up the Yes thing as I was reading your post. I hated Jon Andersons replacement and I hated it more when I found out Jon's health is ok and he was touring in Europe at the same time. :thumbsup:

yeah, i invented a new rule that states you are allowed to be a hypocrite as long as you call yourself out on it... :ph34r:

and i wasn't aware that Anderson was fakin' it...i thought he was out of commission for 2 years

I was just going to bring up the Yes thing as I was reading your post. I hated Jon Andersons replacement and I hated it more when I found out Jon's health is ok and he was touring in Europe at the same time. :thumbsup:

yeah, i invented a new rule that states you are allowed to be a hypocrite as long as you call yourself out on it... :thumbsup:

and i wasn't aware that Anderson was fakin' it...i thought he was out of commission for 2 years

I was under the impression he was out for good. But I saw Yes in SF on July 2nd I saw this on Anderson's website:

Date: July 3, 2009

Venue: The Robin 2

Mount Pleasant, Bilston

Wolverhampton

WV14 7LJ

www.therobin.co.uk

Box Office Tel 01902-401211

I later found out that when Yes scheduled the tour they never even contacted him.

steve perry was replaced by a glorified karaoke singer(yeah ok, that's a bit of a stretch)....never saw anyone from Over the Garden Wall, Pegasus, or 805 get that chance with Genesis...(Yeah I know this shoots the hell out of my rave reviews about my latest Yes concerts). :thumbsup:

i really like that new Arnel Pineda singer for Journey