Eric Wood

daiboy

What's the latest news on his injury does anyone know?

Also as a side issue I have read this forum for a while now and I have to bring up one point. The consensus for last years draft always seems to be bad. "we cant draft", "we have to draft better" etc etc. To be honest I think last years draft has been better than most peoples. I agree that we should have picked Orakpo or Cushing instead or Maybin but on the whole I dont think you can complain. Wood, Levitre and Byrd have been beyond anything I could hope for in their first years seeing where in the draft we landed them and Nelson for a fourth rounder has performed more than adequately. I know there's a big downer on this franchise at the minute but I dont think we are far off the mark anymore. Strengthen up at tackle, QB and D line and we're as good as most.

Last year our problems were tackle, qb and defensive line. Nice that Wood and Levitre were ok picks and Byrd was a terrific second round pick, but considering what was available to us in round one in the area where we we needed help desperately (OHER) the first choice was a bust. Maybin may be second coming of Bruce Smith or another Darryl Talley depending on where we put him next year and maybe he was just sleepwalking this year but he sure looks like a bust to me. I would say despite a huge mistake with the number one overall pick it was a satisfactory draft which gave us a pro bowl player in a position where were at least adequate while failing to address the most critical need on the team.

Last year our problems were tackle, qb and defensive line. Nice that Wood and Levitre were ok picks and Byrd was a terrific second round pick, but considering what was available to us in round one in the area where we we needed help desperately (OHER) the first choice was a bust. Maybin may be second coming of Bruce Smith or another Darryl Talley depending on where we put him next year and maybe he was just sleepwalking this year but he sure looks like a bust to me. I would say despite a huge mistake with the number one overall pick it was a satisfactory draft which gave us a pro bowl player in a position where were at least adequate while failing to address the most critical need on the team.

Not taking Oher was a big miss..... but our interior of the line was also a BIG need last year and they definetely addressed that in the draft.

Also as a side issue I have read this forum for a while now and I have to bring up one point. The consensus for last years draft always seems to be bad. "we cant draft", "we have to draft better" etc etc. To be honest I think last years draft has been better than most peoples. I agree that we should have picked Orakpo or Cushing instead or Maybin but on the whole I dont think you can complain. Wood, Levitre and Byrd have been beyond anything I could hope for in their first years seeing where in the draft we landed them and Nelson for a fourth rounder has performed more than adequately. I know there's a big downer on this franchise at the minute but I dont think we are far off the mark anymore. Strengthen up at tackle, QB and D line and we're as good as most.

Oh they will... We couuld win the Super Bowl, and they would complain. The complaining is all that keeps some of them going.

I agree with you, last year's draft was a success, and I am really hoping for more of the same this year. Reports that I have heard have been mixed on Wood, as far as when he will see the field. There are quite a few that say he'll be back by training camp. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

And all of our sub par LB's, and WR's once we lose Owens, and backup RB once Lynch is suspended, and a coach that doesnt lose us 2-4 games/year, and CB's because as good as McGee is when hes healthy its only like 4 games a year that hes not completely banged up. Oh and you mentioned QB which happens to be the hardest position to "hit" on. Good luck with that. We are far away. A new coach could do wonders for this team but if we get another one like weve had for the last 10 years it wont change.

Im not so negative usually but I have come to the realization that we are far away. Doesnt mean I still dont have hope for the next year, or next 10 with this franchise. I will still at the Ralph on Sundays screaming my head off. But we need to be realistic too.

I would not expect to hear any news on his injury until he starts to rehab. Probably early to late spring.

Not taking Oher was a big miss..... but our interior of the line was also a BIG need last year and they definetely addressed that in the draft.

There was way too many concerns about Oher. He is / was a mommies boy based on his whole background. Plenty was written up about it predraft as Denver badly wanted to draft him, but didn't because they weren't sure if he would bolt on them. It was expected that really they only place that could/should draft him was tennesee and everyone else was taking a big chance based on predraft interviews and psycho-analysis. Turns out Bmore hit the big one there, but it was a risky pick, with his background.

There was way too many concerns about Oher. He is / was a mommies boy based on his whole background. Plenty was written up about it predraft as Denver badly wanted to draft him, but didn't because they weren't sure if he would bolt on them. It was expected that really they only place that could/should draft him was tennesee and everyone else was taking a big chance based on predraft interviews and psycho-analysis. Turns out Bmore hit the big one there, but it was a risky pick, with his background.

his background being he was built like a freak? being that he was one of the highest regarded OL coming out of HS next to orlando pace? his background being he was raised (from HS on ) with morals and stayed away from drugs and alcohol? yea... the bills couldn't use a guy like thato n this team

friggin idiot

his background being he was built like a freak? being that he was one of the highest regarded OL coming out of HS next to orlando pace? his background being he was raised (from HS on ) with morals and stayed away from drugs and alcohol? yea... the bills couldn't use a guy like thato n this team

friggin idiot

Go learn to read moron. You have no clue if you are not aware of his personal situation. And the movie doesn't get it right.

From Draft analysis:

Negatives: Only has three years experience at left tackle and is still learning the game. A better pass protector than power run blocker, as he does not consistently get great push off the edge. Needs more consistency in using his punch, which can be devastating against rush ends. Can be beaten in pass protection by quicker hands. Loses balance at times when lunging in pass pro. A bit tentative in the open field at times. Gets a bit lazy moving his feet when the play is run away from him and could stand to gain more stamina. Does not always adjust to outside blitzes, but handles inside pressure just fine. Has a very quiet, passive demeanor that some may characterize as lacking passion. Some concerns about how he'll acclimate to a new environment if he's drafted by a team geographically distant from his adopted family.

Byrd had probably 7 of his 9 picks gift wrapped and hand delivered to his front door. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but did Levitre not play every snap all season?!? Just because OL is not as glamorous a position as DB... I wouldn't even say that Byrd was a better pick than Wood or Levitre. Are you kidding me, Wood looked like an absolute stud before he got hurt. Let's give them credit where credit is due, they got 3 permanent no-brainer starters in picks 2-4. The rest of the guys? Who knows, I'm sure they'll never get a chance to sniff the field and then they'll just draft another guy next year at the same position around the same round (see Nic Harris).

The past draft was excellent, Maybin's lack of production notwithstanding. Hopefully an off-season putting on weight, adding strength, actually attending training camp, and a decent set of coaches will help him.

As for Oher, as was stated, he was considered a risk, hence the reason he fell to the last 1/3 of the 1st round. He is a RT and the Bills had (have?) one in Brad Butler, who unfortunately got injured. Drafting Orakpo or Cushing would have been better choices.

Has a very quiet, passive demeanor that some may characterize as lacking passion. Some concerns about how he'll acclimate to a new environment if he's drafted by a team geographically distant from his adopted family.

That sounds vaguely familiar

Go learn to read moron. You have no clue if you are not aware of his personal situation. And the movie doesn't get it right.

From Draft analysis:

Negatives: Only has three years experience at left tackle and is still learning the game. A better pass protector than power run blocker, as he does not consistently get great push off the edge. Needs more consistency in using his punch, which can be devastating against rush ends. Can be beaten in pass protection by quicker hands. Loses balance at times when lunging in pass pro. A bit tentative in the open field at times. Gets a bit lazy moving his feet when the play is run away from him and could stand to gain more stamina. Does not always adjust to outside blitzes, but handles inside pressure just fine. Has a very quiet, passive demeanor that some may characterize as lacking passion. Some concerns about how he'll acclimate to a new environment if he's drafted by a team geographically distant from his adopted family.

1.) never saw the movie, but read the book, so yes, i learned to read a long time ago.

2.) all he did in the best conference in college football was this:

Was a First Team Freshman All-America and SEC All-Freshman choice in 2005

Garnered All-America honors each of his last two seasons and All-SEC accolades in his final three

won the Jacobs Blocking Trophy in 2008 as SEC best linemen

3.)and since you cut and paste from NFL.com :

positives : Prototypical left tackle build. Has good height and excellent athleticism. Unlike some left tackles, he has girth in his lower body. Uses his long arms to his greatest advantage, locking onto the jersey to nullify the pass rush of defensive ends. Gets into his pass set quickly and has very good lateral movement. Not fooled by dancing on the line. Shows the feet to pull inside, get to either shoulder to position block and nullify linebackers outside on screen passes. Sustains and mirrors as long as possible and will play through the whistle. Improved as a run blocker as a senior. Began to play with more aggression and physicality at the second level. An ascending talent who should only get better. Has gained experience as a celebrity due to the success of best-selling novel, "The Blind Side" and is potentially better prepared for the glamour of being a high pick.

4.) aaron schobel is pretty quiet and he's worked out pretty darn good for us. passion isn't shown in your demeanor. its shown on the field where he dominates. the proof is/was/will be in the game film. end of discussion.

I suppose you can defend the Maybin pick as having not nearly as many question marks as Oher. His character must be flawless too, i mean he only hangs with Ray Lewis and Lavar Arrington. Good, upstanding guys. exactly more of what we need on this squad.

i was at the draft and there were 2 guys at positions of need worth taking at that spot - oher and orakpo. naturally DJ took the most likely to be a bust with the pick. might as well continue the trend..

Byrd had probably 7 of his 9 picks gift wrapped and hand delivered to his front door. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but did Levitre not play every snap all season?!? Just because OL is not as glamorous a position as DB... I wouldn't even say that Byrd was a better pick than Wood or Levitre. Are you kidding me, Wood looked like an absolute stud before he got hurt. Let's give them credit where credit is due, they got 3 permanent no-brainer starters in picks 2-4. The rest of the guys? Who knows, I'm sure they'll never get a chance to sniff the field and then they'll just draft another guy next year at the same position around the same round (see Nic Harris).

Did Byrd get gifts or was he in the right place at the right time because he is good and knows where to be on the field?

Just curious

Did Byrd get gifts or was he in the right place at the right time because he is good and knows where to be on the field?

Just curious

little of both. the ones of sanchez were gifts to a degree. some of the others were excellent reads. the kids got a knack. 5+ INTS again next year and I'll be convinced he is a legit FS, the likes of which we haven't seen since Kelso...

i was at the draft and there were 2 guys at positions of need worth taking at that spot - oher and orakpo. naturally DJ took the most likely to be a bust with the pick. might as well continue the trend..

To be honest, I never saw any draft analysis on the picks, but reading this question mark about Oher certainly puts the Bills decision not to draft him in a different perspective. Looks like there was little interest in the war room to take another chance on a "big Mike"

In retrospect it looks to be a bad move, but you also don't know how much motivation for Oher in '09 came from being on a winning program than what would have been the case in being confined to Club Dick.

I agree that until his injury, Wood was playing well for a rookie, and that Levitre and Byrd had pretty good rookies seasons. But you can watch two rookies starting this weekend, that for the life of me, I don't know why the Bills did not draft. Mike Oher - RT in Baltimore, and Phil Loadholt -RT for the Vikings. Both were available in the rounds they were chosen for the Bills to draft. Oher would have had to have been the Bills first pick, and might have been considered a "reach." - but watch the kid play for the Ravens this week, and then imagine him playing in place of any of the "bartenders" that ended up playing either tackle for Buffalo this season. And although he was taken later in the draft, you should watch big Loadholt play for the Vikings as he starts at RT for them. Now he has struggled more then Oher this season, but man, he would have made any tackle for the Bills look like they belonged at UB if the Bills had taken him!

I know the Bills had injury problems at both tackle positions this season. Brad Butler and Demetrius Bell were supposed to be the starters all season. But if the Bills would have drafted either Oher or Loadholt, that would have really strengthened the depth of the tackle position. Besides, I am convinced either Loadholt or Oher would have beaten out both Bell and Butler, at either tackle position - depending on which one was worse then the other in training camp. In my humble opinion, Oher or Loadholt would have won at least the RT starting position for the Bills, which would have left Butler available to help out at guard as the two kids did struggle in the middle, or he would have been right there to take over for Bell when he got injured.

Sorry to be so long winded, but the Bills needed help at OT, and they did not address it with a talented OT draft class. That is why I agree with most on this board, that the Bills have not drafted "smart" for many years, and last year was no exception.

Just curious

I guess we'll find out next year, won't we? I'm not saying he sucks, I'm just saying the 9 int's may have been a little misleading. He's definitely an everydown starter next year, so he'll certainly get the opportunities. If he gets another 8 next year, I'll take it all back.

P.S. Didn't Kelso get around 8 picks for several seasons in a row? Top to bottom, he was never considered a great football player. Polamalu- I don't care if he gets 1 pick or 10 picks- he's a great football player. Isn't he? Isn't he?