Source: Frazier next Bills HC

buffalo1983

Actually, one of the main reasons the 3 - 4 has been successful for the last 10 - 15 years is that so few teams ran it. That meant that you were running a defense that teams hadn't prepared for till that week, and that you were looking to draft a kind of athlete that very few other teams even want.

Now that it is popular, everybody plays against it again and again, and it's not surprising anyone anymore. And in the draft, you're competing against most of the league to get the gigantous NT and the slightly under-sized (by 4-3 standards only) ultra-athlete pass-rushing OLB.

The 3 - 4 peaked a year or three ago. This is the worst time in 15 years to make the decision to switch to the 3 - 4.

And Frazier isn't a Jauron clone at all. He doesn't show his temper all that often, but it's there. He is clearly a fiery orator and an inspirational leader. While the players loved Jauron, it wasn't because he was fiery or inspirational.

Why bring up logical information when everybody is ready to run the guy out of town before he even has had a chance to step off the airplane.

Bottomline is Frazier has been one of the most respected & highly regarded coordinators in the league for the last several years. He was become a head coach this year or next year. This guy is not Jauron & if you actually watch the minn defense, it is not your Buffalo Bills soft cover 2 defense. His defenses attack & get after the qb. Of course it helps that he has the williams twins & Allen as 3 of his 4 lineman, but none the less it is an attacking defense.

I know it is not a sexy hire & will not be the hire that gives us instant credibility, but lets give the guy a chance. Let's not be the fanbase that is so bitter & so jaded that we are not even willing to give this guy a chance; a good football guy from every account I have seen. I think he could be a dam good coach. & let's keep in mind, it actually seems like he wants to be here.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, it's a typical uninspired hire at a time when the franchise is at a crossroads and cannot afford another blunder. This guy seems like more of a Jauron clone tha say a Mike Tomlin. Be ready for the "He's the guy we targeted all along" presser from Nix. Garbage. The Tampa 2 only works with exceptional athletes. Newsflash: we don't have them. This team needs to go to a 3-4 and stock up on LB's . Then get a true noseman. It will take far too long for this team to be any good running a cover 2 scheme. We need new players at almost every position in the front 7 to be effective. Get Harbaugh. At least he's been a head coach at some level and turned around a joke of a college program.

Who says he's wedded to the Tampa 2?

No offense...But this is the type of post that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the past 10 years have taken their toll on some Bills Fans regarding their expectations...

Fewell went 3-4 as a Head Coach...3-4...that's one game under .500...How exactly can that be considered doing well? He did no better than Jauron would have normally...And Jauron sucked...On top of that Fewell's Defenses, while good at times, were also terrible at other times over the past 4 years...So I'm not sure what makes him so outstanding overall...

I think the same about Frazier...We need to raise the bar in Buffalo...I seriously doubt Frazier will be able to do that in THIS organization...I think Frazier is a terrible, terrible hire for THIS Team at this point in time...It's just more of the same approach that has us where we are...Raiders East, as one Poster pointed out so cleverly...

If Frazier comes to The Bills I hope to God I'm wrong...But he simply does nothing for me...I wonder how much he would be considered without those 3 monsters on his front 4...I'd give Cowher 100 million before I'd hire Frazier...But I realize that's just me...And it's easy for me to spend the money Ralph never will... :blink:

I agree about Fewell. He had a losing record as the interim coach and only beat crappy, or 2nd string, teams. As far as Frazier goes, who knows? One thing is for certain, we're rebuilding the coaching staff moreso than the players ... meaning, we need to start from the bottom. If Frazier does fairly well, and Ralph presents some sort of succession planning for the franchise, then our next coach after Frazier will be better than what we had to choose from this time.

Don't forget ... Dallas wasn't always the "dream job." They had to go through low-end coaches and build up their reputation gradually. Remember Dave Campo???

I think we need to stop fooling ourselves into thinking that high-end candidates "should" take this job. By all rights, they shouldn't even give Buffalo a second glance.

Let's just get who we get, and hope we get lucky like the Jets, Saints, Cardinals and all of the other successful teams out there that took gambles on coordinators and 1st time head coaches.

You never know.

No offense...But this is the type of post that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the past 10 years have taken their toll on some Bills Fans regarding their expectations...

Fewell went 3-4 as a Head Coach...3-4...that's one game under .500...How exactly can that be considered doing well? He did no better than Jauron would have normally...And Jauron sucked...On top of that Fewell's Defenses, while good at times, were also terrible at other times over the past 4 years...So I'm not sure what makes him so outstanding overall...

I think the same about Frazier...We need to raise the bar in Buffalo...I seriously doubt Frazier will be able to do that in THIS organization...I think Frazier is a terrible, terrible hire for THIS Team at this point in time...It's just more of the same approach that has us where we are...Raiders East, as one Poster pointed out so cleverly...

If Frazier comes to The Bills I hope to God I'm wrong...But he simply does nothing for me...I wonder how much he would be considered without those 3 monsters on his front 4...I'd give Cowher 100 million before I'd hire Frazier...But I realize that's just me...And it's easy for me to spend the money Ralph never will... :blink:

2-4 -- please don't give him credit for the Colts game. I'm not knocking him; I'm simply stating a fact.

You are pounding the lecturn for Cowher but he doesn't want to come here. Can people not understand that? We ALL want Cowher. YOu still gotta take the best coordinator if the Chin won't sign. I mean HArbaugh for the Ravens was a QB coach (i think?) when they hired him. Just get whoever some good players, a QB, draft well and stay away from injuries for a change.

Cowher would come if the Bills gave him what he wanted...They won't and he won't come...That much I do understand...But don't tell me he simply would not come to Buffalo under any circumstance...Cause I don't believe that...He just wants what most other NFL Organizations would give him due to his reputation...That's all...And Ralph is one of the few Owners who will not do it...

As far as hiring anyone without HC experience I don;t disagree necessarily...I just don't think Frazier (or Fewell) is the best guy for the Job...I just don't...Hopefully I'm wrong if he comes...But I'm not sold on the Tampa-2 staying here for another 3 years unless you can tell me we are going to get the Williams twins at DT and and Allen clone at DE...I'd rather see The Bills go back to the 3-4 that they never should have abandoned a decade ago...And Frazier's area of expertize is DB's...GREAT!!!! Just what the Bills need right!

If it's not going to be Cowher I'd MUCH rather have Russ Grimm or even Jim Harbaugh...Frazier does nothing, absolutely nothing for me...Again I hope I'm wrong if he comes...We'll see I guess... :blink:

Cowher would come if the Bills gave him what he wanted...They won't and he won't come...That much I do understand...But don't tell me he simply would not come to Buffalo under any circumstance...Cause I don't believe that...He just wants what most other NFL Organizations would give him due to his reputation...That's all...And Ralph is one of the few Owners who will not do it...

As far as hiring anyone without HC experience I don;t disagree necessarily...I just don't think Frazier (or Fewell) is the best guy for the Job...I just don't...Hopefully I'm wrong if he comes...But I'm not sold on the Tampa-2 staying here for another 3 years unless you can tell me we are going to get the Williams twins at DT and and Allen clone at DE...I'd rather see The Bills go back to the 3-4 that they never should have abandoned a decade ago...And Frazier's area of expertize is DB's...GREAT!!!! Just what the Bills need right!

If it's not going to be Cowher I'd MUCH rather have Russ Grimm or even Jim Harbaugh...Frazier does nothing, absolutely nothing for me...Again I hope I'm wrong if he comes...We'll see I guess... :blink:

My understanding is that Harbaugh is not interested in coming. That's not surprising -- Stanford is a really, really nice place.

Looks like once the Vikings are eliminated from the postseason, Frazier will be the next HC of the Buffalo Bills. From a Source coming from Terry Long. Terry use to work for Yahoo Sports,ESPN and even Sirius Radio.

The source also told him that a "handshake" deal is in place.

Ralph: "Congradulations, Leslie! You are our choice to lead our team in 2010!

Frazier: "It's an honor, Mr. Wilson. (Extends hand for handshake...) SIIIIIKE!!!!!!"

I agree about Fewell. He had a losing record as the interim coach and only beat crappy, or 2nd string, teams. As far as Frazier goes, who knows? One thing is for certain, we're rebuilding the coaching staff moreso than the players ... meaning, we need to start from the bottom. If Frazier does fairly well, and Ralph presents some sort of succession planning for the franchise, then our next coach after Frazier will be better than what we had to choose from this time.

Don't forget ... Dallas wasn't always the "dream job." They had to go through low-end coaches and build up their reputation gradually. Remember Dave Campo???

I think we need to stop fooling ourselves into thinking that high-end candidates "should" take this job. By all rights, they shouldn't even give Buffalo a second glance.

Let's just get who we get, and hope we get lucky like the Jets, Saints, Cardinals and all of the other successful teams out there that took gambles on coordinators and 1st time head coaches.

You never know.

This is the best argument I've read for the status quo...It's the "Know your roll and shut your mouth" approach...It has merit...But it just goes to show how this Organization has been run into the ground over the past 10 years...It's sad but true...I still think we should aim higher...I know Jim Kelly thinks we should...Oh well... :blink:

You never know.

In my opinion great post. However, what indications are we as Bills fans getting that the Bills organization is going to improve? Early indications were that we wanted an experienced head coach with an offensive background and the only two candidates for the job are DCs with ZERO head coaching experience (excluding Fewell's stint last year). I don't see the promised changes and its worrisome.

In my opinion great post. However, what indications are we as Bills fans getting that the Bills organization is going to improve? Early indications were that we wanted an experienced head coach with an offensive background and the only two candidates for the job are DCs with ZERO head coaching experience (excluding Fewell's stint last year). I don't see the promised changes and its worrisome.

You get good by getting better players and better coaching. It sounds like one of Frazier's attributes is his ability to attract good coordinators, but we'll see about that (assuming he ends up being the coach). As for getting better players, it's all about the draft, and Buddy Nix's record is pretty damn good in that regard. We need a QB in the worst way, however ...

This is the best argument I've read for the status quo...It's the "Know your roll and shut your mouth" approach...It has merit...But it just goes to show how this Organization has been run into the ground over the past 10 years...It's sad but true...I still think we should aim higher...I know Jim Kelly thinks we should...Oh well... :unsure:

Thanks. It is sad, and it is true. I respect that RW and Nix went after the big guys right out of the gate. I think their efforts have been sincere, too. There will be those who argue that it was just a smoke screen to please the Bills fans. I'm pretty sure, even at 107-years-old, that Ralph Wilson understands the high degree of knowledge his fan base has. I think reality is hitting, and that they're realizing that the 5-star candidates aren't going to come here. It's not set in stone (Cowher still has yet to say no), but it's looking more and more like that's the case. So they're doing the next best thing, which is make offers to the next best candidates. Like it or not, and agree or not, Leslie Frazier is a legitimate NFL H.C. candidate. I also think it says a lot that they're not just handing the team over to Billick. What an easy out that would have been ... "you said you wanted a proven head coach, we hired a head coach with a recent Super Bowl win." But they didn't do it. That tells me that they're really trying to find the best guy for the job. It's just gotten to the "practical" point now. The Buffalo Bills are who they are. They're a team with a few talented players and a lot of holes. They're a team with an uncertain future and an owner who refuses to tell the public what's in store after he's gone. They're a team that hasn't seen post season in a decade. And they're a team that isn't going to attract the best coaching candidates or the best Free Agents. But they're still a legitimate team in the NFL. They were good enough to win 6 and have themselves in position to win 4 or 5 more. I don't think the organization has been run into the ground. They're just in the bottom third of the league. And as responsible as RW might be for that, he didn't try to make that happen. And he's doing what he can to turn it around.

I once knew a guy ... who said he knew someone who had spoken with another guy who was listening to talk radio when he had an epiphany by looking at a slice of Bocce's pizza and somehow he knew exactly what the Bills were going to do regarding their head coaching position even before Nix knew and to top it off ... he was able to predict not just this season's win-loss total but the next 4 years game results.

And, the guy said that even though most playoff teams had Head Coaches who came out of the Assistant Coach ranks that the positioning of the pepperoni on that prophetic slide of Bocce's told him that the Bills needed to be different ... needed to find a washed up ... over the hill ... burnt out ... former head coach to lead the team because a younger, energetic Assistant Head Coach would just cause heart burn.

I am so thrilled that I can discover all of the Bills' inner secrets and plans here on the Wall or by talking with my guy who knew a guy who once met a guy in a dark alley ...

mmmm now I am hungry for some pizza ... maybe I'll get a vision too!

:unsure: