who would you rather

BeastMode54

I will say - Minnesota blitzes as often as all but 7-8 teams. Like most T2 teams, they're moving towards a hybrid approach that uses the zone/4 man rush dominantly in passing situations, but has started working in run blitzes and surprise pass rush moves from the outside.

thanks for the info. good to know. I'd noticed also that Frazier worked 3 seasons under Jim Johnson in Philly. I wonder if that has influenced any of his approach.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed at some of the people on this board. First of all, how would Brian Schottenheimer bring the 46 defense to Buffalo exactly? He's an offensive coordinator on a team that just started running the 46 this year. In previous years, under Mangini, they ran a hybrid 3-4 defense. When Rex Ryan came over from Baltimore, he brought Ravens LB coach Mike Pettine to coach the defense. Do you really think Schottenheimer, who has worked only with the offense, learned the 46 in one year? Or is it more likely that he'll adopt his father's scheme? Pass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Ball

To the guy who wants Jason Garrett as the head coach, please check yourself into the nearest drug rehab center.

Leslie Frazier is going to bring that same ****ty defensive scheme that we don't have the players (still) to implement. In Minny he's got Jared Allen coming off the end and the Williamses closing up the middle. Who do we have, especially with Aaron Schobel about to retire? That bust Maybin flying around the end (and five yards behind the quarterback) and the aging Marcus Stroud 'clogging' up the middle? I'm sick of this Tampa 2 crap! Pass.

To the guy who likes the younger Schotty because you "like his experience, his upbringing, his potential, his bloodline, his successes, his age, potential...." where do I start? You basically said a bunch of different ways that you want to hire him because his father is Marty ("his upbringing, his potential, his bloodline, potential" (again)). Fine, I disagree 100%, but at least just say that. Also, what successes? I'm with K Gun. He's ridden the best defense in the league to a 9-7 start essentially playing two exhibition games to close out the season. Pass.

so before you sh-t in everyones Kool-Aid, who do you want then?

I don't know much about Frazier. I have developed negative feelings because he reminds me of Jauron and would probably keep the tampa 2. He might turn out great and I am willing to give him a chance, but of these 2, I would much prefer Brian Schottenheimer for the following reaasons:

1.) Solid OC.

2.) Coached a rookie QB and tailored to game plan to protect him and still make the playoffs (albeit with some help from Cincy and Indy sitting players) but called a great game in the playoffs

3.) Great coaching pedigree.

4.) I think his dad would come along in some capacity. Even if he doesn’t, he will be there as a sounding board/mentor to help Brian.

5.) His name alone will help with building a solid staff even if his dad does not call in some favors

6.) It will take a good coach (and probably a few others if he raids the staff) away from a division opponent

7.) Hiring an Offensive minded coach would indicate that they are going to fix the problems on offense.

8.) Hopefully he will bring a more aggressive, attack style defense with him. I hate the Tampa 2.

This +1, I liked everything you said, but why would he leave NYC to come to Buffalo???

I hope he does but I just don't think he will.

This +1, I liked everything you said, but why would he leave NYC to come to Buffalo???

I hope he does but I just don't think he will.

Ummm, you mean why would he leave New Jersey to come to Buffalo? I dunno, the fact that his salary would be more than doubled and he'd get to be a head coach? I dunno...

I am amazed at some of the people on this board. First of all, how would Brian Schottenheimer bring the 46 defense to Buffalo exactly? He's an offensive coordinator on a team that just started running the 46 this year. In previous years, under Mangini, they ran a hybrid 3-4 defense. When Rex Ryan came over from Baltimore, he brought Ravens LB coach Mike Pettine to coach the defense. Do you really think Schottenheimer, who has worked only with the offense, learned the 46 in one year? Or is it more likely that he'll adopt his father's scheme? Pass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Ball

To the guy who wants Jason Garrett as the head coach, please check yourself into the nearest drug rehab center.

Leslie Frazier is going to bring that same ****ty defensive scheme that we don't have the players (still) to implement. In Minny he's got Jared Allen coming off the end and the Williamses closing up the middle. Who do we have, especially with Aaron Schobel about to retire? That bust Maybin flying around the end (and five yards behind the quarterback) and the aging Marcus Stroud 'clogging' up the middle? I'm sick of this Tampa 2 crap! Pass.

To the guy who likes the younger Schotty because you "like his experience, his upbringing, his potential, his bloodline, his successes, his age, potential...." where do I start? You basically said a bunch of different ways that you want to hire him because his father is Marty ("his upbringing, his potential, his bloodline, potential" (again)). Fine, I disagree 100%, but at least just say that. Also, what successes? I'm with K Gun. He's ridden the best defense in the league to a 9-7 start essentially playing two exhibition games to close out the season. Pass.

How do you know he would implement a Tampa 2 scheme? He didn't play in that scheme for the Bears, and he didn't coach it for either Philly or Cincy. He joined a staff that featured it (Indy) in 2006, and it's actually tailor made for Minnesota given their personnel.

Ummm, you mean why would he leave New Jersey to come to Buffalo? I dunno, the fact that his salary would be more than doubled and he'd get to be a head coach? I dunno...

you make a good point, money talks ,BS walks....

I would be very pleased if they did hire B. Shotty

How do you know he would implement a Tampa 2 scheme? He didn't play in that scheme for the Bears, and he didn't coach it for either Philly or Cincy. He joined a staff that featured it (Indy) in 2006, and it's actually tailor made for Minnesota given their personnel.

Fair point. He wasn't the defensive coordinator in Philly so it wasn't his call, and I don't know what he ran in Cincinatti. But chances are (wouldn't you agree?) that you come from one place running a Tampa 2 to another one running the exact same scheme you probably don't change it all that much.

I think they are both good coaches. I also think they both will eventually be a HC in the NFL. Personally i would prefer to get Shottenheimer. The Jets had the best run game in the league this year. Their line is fantastic. Watching their pass play calling is also impressive. The Jets did alot with Sanchez at the helm as a rookie. He had the INT problem but a coordinator can't stop him from making bone head decisions.

Fair point. He wasn't the defensive coordinator in Philly so it wasn't his call, and I don't know what he ran in Cincinatti. But chances are (wouldn't you agree?) that you come from one place running a Tampa 2 to another one running the exact same scheme you probably don't change it all that much.

Honestly, I don't know. Some guys adjust to the players they have; some don't. I don't know what sort of person he is, although he's been exposed to a bunch of different schemes run by great coaches (Buddy Ryan, Jim Johnson, Marvin Lewis, Tony Dungy).

Honestly, I don't know. Some guys adjust to the players they have; some don't. I don't know what sort of person he is, although he's been exposed to a bunch of different schemes run by great coaches (Buddy Ryan, Jim Johnson, Marvin Lewis, Tony Dungy).

True, and I'd love to run a Buddy Ryan or Jim Johnson-type defense. But being exposed to them and implementing them on your watch are two completely different things. He's having a lot of success with the cover 2 right now. I have a very hard time believing he comes to Buffalo which is already running the same scheme and does a massive overhaul. I just can't see it happening.

True, and I'd love to run a Buddy Ryan or Jim Johnson-type defense. But being exposed to them and implementing them on your watch are two completely different things. He's having a lot of success with the cover 2 right now. I have a very hard time believing he comes to Buffalo which is already running the same scheme and does a massive overhaul. I just can't see it happening.

But if he works with Nix and gets the right horses for the scheme, it would work. The problem with the way Dumb Dick ran it was to have small, under-sized players on the field and his DBs lined 50 yards back from the LOS. Frazier can't be that stupid.

Frazier uses his talent really well. Maybe he can get the most out of what we have, while building something with Nix that is similar to what he had in Minnesota. Having Al Saunders aboard would improve our offense immensely.

Al Saunders >>> B. Schottenheimer in my opinion.

The job is not desired by the top guys right now. They don't seem to like Bilick These are the guys.

Then exactly who do you want to hire.? It seems like we are down to the three guys you mentioned, with maybe Grimm and Rivera .

I think the most underated issue in this discussion is the ability of the coach in question to bring in top flight assistants. The Marty connection in Brian's case makes me far more comfortable, even excited. My dream scenario is Marty as HC for 2-3 years, and Brian as Asst HC/OC, and heir apparent.

Our recent failures with Malarky and Williams are probably as much to do with their lack of standing to snag the top coordinators as it was their coaching skills. They were, after all, a former time's BShot and Frasier.