The Buffalo Bills

Kipers Hair

I must admit, like many on this board, I am disappointed and amazed that the Bills cannot generate excitement about obtaining the vacant head coaching job. From what I have read, positions in Cleveland were openly fawned over – coaching, front office, etc., but in WNY, nothing remotely close to excitement and (outside of our small community of course), anticipation was generated for the GM/Player Personal role Mr. Nix took, let alone where we are today.

The dust has settled and the organization has presumably made calls to Cower, Gruden, Shanahan and reportedly any qualified candidate and we are met with stunned silence. Like many on this passionate site, I too have done some soul searching and pondered the root cause – the ownership, cash-to-cap, personnel, the city – all were considered and I have arrived as a conclusion that I feel many know in their heart of hearts, but few are willing to acknowledge.

That is, Buffalo is not a city deserving of an NFL franchise. Buffalo is a small hockey town first, capable of supporting second tier professional sports, lacrosse, arena football, minor league baseball, etc.. There is nothing wrong with this – I myself live in the Capital district outside Albany where collage basketball and AHL hockey are the local sports products – rightfully so, but we have no illusion of being a big time sports city. It's OK. Buffalo simply is not a draw to anyone these days, be it business, upscale professionals, young people, and professional athletes. Buffalo is on par with the Calgary’s, Edmonton’s and Columbus’ of the world. There is nothing wrong with this, it’s OK and needs to be embraced to move forward in life. Buffalo is the “6” looking guy trying to date a “9 or 10” girl – simply out of its league. Undoubtedly in its day WNY was a good home for multiple top tier franchise teams, but due to corruption in local politics and an antiquated economic engine built around industrial revolution policy, the city is no longer a player.

The people of WNY deserve some love, but this is not the “girl” for her. The Sabres are more realistic, perhaps we can hope for a Professional Soccer team to rival the one in Toronto – that seems more right. That said, I also believe the NFL deserves better. In this spirit of fair competition, I do not believe a team can compete in WNY – key front office personnel are reluctant to come and we would be fooling ourselves if we did not admit, top tier free agents will not come either. At best, Buffalo is to the NFL what the Pirates have become to major league baseball – fodder for the rest of the league.

Like a beloved dog that was hit by a car and currently exists only on life support at the vets – we can throw a lot of money at it and hope for the best, but some times, the right call is to let the suffering animal go. To that end, Edward Roski seems to have the best of intentions and will provide a team with the support they need to compete – let’s hope they get the chance they need and this suffering ends.

I must admit, like many on this board, I am disappointed and amazed that the Bills cannot generate excitement about obtaining the vacant head coaching job. From what I have read, positions in Cleveland were openly fawned over – coaching, front office, etc., but in WNY, nothing remotely close to excitement and (outside of our small community of course), anticipation was generated for the GM/Player Personal role Mr. Nix took, let alone where we are today.

The dust has settled and the organization has presumably made calls to Cower, Gruden, Shanahan and reportedly any qualified candidate and we are met with stunned silence. Like many on this passionate site, I too have done some soul searching and pondered the root cause – the ownership, cash-to-cap, personnel, the city – all were considered and I have arrived as a conclusion that I feel many know in their heart of hearts, but few are willing to acknowledge.

That is, Buffalo is not a city deserving of an NFL franchise. Buffalo is a small hockey town first, capable of supporting second tier professional sports, lacrosse, arena football, minor league baseball, etc.. There is nothing wrong with this – I myself live in the Capital district outside Albany where collage basketball and AHL hockey are the local sports products – rightfully so, but we have no illusion of being a big time sports city. It's OK. Buffalo simply is not a draw to anyone these days, be it business, upscale professionals, young people, and professional athletes. Buffalo is on par with the Calgary’s, Edmonton’s and Columbus’ of the world. There is nothing wrong with this, it’s OK and needs to be embraced to move forward in life. Buffalo is the “6” looking guy trying to date a “9 or 10” girl – simply out of its league. Undoubtedly in its day WNY was a good home for multiple top tier franchise teams, but due to corruption in local politics and an antiquated economic engine built around industrial revolution policy, the city is no longer a player.

The people of WNY deserve some love, but this is not the “girl” for her. The Sabres are more realistic, perhaps we can hope for a Professional Soccer team to rival the one in Toronto – that seems more right. That said, I also believe the NFL deserves better. In this spirit of fair competition, I do not believe a team can compete in WNY – key front office personnel are reluctant to come and we would be fooling ourselves if we did not admit, top tier free agents will not come either. At best, Buffalo is to the NFL what the Pirates have become to major league baseball – fodder for the rest of the league.

Like a beloved dog that was hit by a car and currently exists only on life support at the vets – we can throw a lot of money at it and hope for the best, but some times, the right call is to let the suffering animal go. To that end, Edward Roski seems to have the best of intentions and will provide a team with the support they need to compete – let’s hope they get the chance they need and this suffering ends.

Wow, a philosopher on this board...impressive, especially with a handle like "Kipers Hair"

But agreed, I dont think this could be stated any better or more parallel for that matter. Sad but true. Well done.

We all remember the fearsome Buffalo Bills from the 90's. Not a champion...but a POWERHOUSE of epic proportions.....that when you pin 'em down Palamalu style, every NFL fan out there has to admit, albeit begrudgingly,........yeah, ok, they were awefully awesome.

The early nineties like much of our youth----ain't never comin' back. Is there a doctor is the house?? Kavorkian? :wallbash:

If the Bills leave western NY...Western Ny will die....Be careful what you wish for

I think you are underestimating the good people of WNY. They have overcome a socioeconomic environment that is a Steven King novel for economists. They are a hearty breed who will rebound with the gusto they always have and move on. Undoubtedly, some will move out, but the region will reinvent itself around the resources they have an abundance of - the outdoors, educational centers of excellence and good people.

This is not a wish I have - I think it's on honest reflection of the reality of the region.

Guest dog14787

That is, Buffalo is not a city deserving of an NFL franchise. Good grief, brilliant :wallbash:

A decade of losing seasons, no playoffs and we continue to sell out games and yet the City of Buffalo doesn't deserve a franchise, really.

Where do you guys come up with this BS?

That is, Buffalo is not a city deserving of an NFL franchise.

Buffalo is the “6” looking guy trying to date a “9 or 10” girl – simply out of its league.

At best, Buffalo is to the NFL what the Pirates have become to major league baseball – fodder for the rest of the league.

Like a beloved dog that was hit by a car and currently exists only on life support at the vets

Wow. Very over the top. A dying dog that has been hit by a car? Really? !@#$ you

That is, Buffalo is not a city deserving of an NFL franchise. Good grief, brilliant :wallbash:

Ugggg. Way to misunderstand the point that he (I thought clearly but I guess not) was trying to make. :devil:

Paraphrased .... Buffalo is a small market economically depressed city that cannot compete with large, thriving cities. The sooner that is realized, the better.

Ugggg. Way to misunderstand the point that he (I thought clearly but I guess not) was trying to make. :wallbash:

Paraphrased .... Buffalo is a small market economically depressed city that cannot compete with large, thriving cities. The sooner that is realized, the better.

No it was very clear, some people will not understand what the original poster was articulating.

A decade of losing seasons, no playoffs and we continue to sell out games and yet the City of Buffalo doesn't deserve a franchise, really.

Yes - in my allegory, these fans would represent the grieving dog owner who simply cannot admit the animal is suffering and continues to throw money at the veterinary doctor in the hope that the animal will return to what it once was. I understand and feel for you and fans of similar disposiiton, however, it has become plainly obvious.

It is a fallacy to believe, since the city has a pro sports franchise supported so fervently that it must be deserving of it. The people you need to succeed in the industry of top level pro football are not willing to come there - therefore, you cannot succeed unless you are hoping, (again, like the grieving dog owner), that by dumb luck the team will grab the right administration and draft without fail. To succeed, you need to be able to draw the right people, and I believe that cannot happen in Buffalo.

Guest dog14787
No it was very clear, some people will not understand what the original poster was articulating.

My reading comprehension is fine.

When you make the statement that Buffalo is not deserving of a football franchise you can articulate all you want, its still BS in my opinion...

At best, Buffalo is to the NFL what the Pirates have become to major league baseball – fodder for the rest of the league.

This is true, but with the salary cap, it doesn't have to be this way.

I remind you that neither the people of WNY nor the corrupt politicians drafted Donte Whitner, and wasted day 1 of a stacked 2006 draft. They also didn't shun Branden Albert and Clady and pick McKelvin. That was done by the Levy/Jauron tandem of idiocy.

You make a point about ufas prefrring to play elsewhere. This might be true, but Takeo Spikes signed here, and imo was a hall of fame talent before the injury. Fletcher did too and he's still in the probowl. When Bryce Paup signed with us, he was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Speillmann could also play, ya know? :wallbash:

Please understand KH, there are posters on this board who can build a team far better than Levy/Jauron and the thing is, I am 100% serious. Talk to people like R.Rich and Badolbilz before a draft. I do, and these guys are dead on year after year.

Think about this for a moment if you will.....internet posters knowing more than the losers running our team for the last 4 years. Do you see my point at all? Draft good players, build the lines and Marty Schottenheimer would have this team in the playoffs in one seaon, two at the most.

This is what is wrong with the Bills, not the economic climate. Jmo.

Guest dog14787
Yes - in my allegory, these fans would represent the grieving dog owner who simply cannot admit the animal is suffering and continues to throw money at the veterinary doctor in the hope that the animal will return to what it once was. I understand and feel for you and fans of similar disposiiton, however, it has become plainly obvious.

It is a fallacy to believe, since the city has a pro sports franchise supported so fervently that it must be deserving of it. The people you need to succeed in the industry of top level pro football are not willing to come there - therefore, you cannot succeed unless you are hoping, (again, like the grieving dog owner), that by dumb luck the team will grab the right administration and draft without fail. To succeed, you need to be able to draw the right people, and I believe that cannot happen in Buffalo.

keep articulating and I'll keep laughing :wallbash:

Please understand KH, there are posters on this board who can build a team far better than Levy/Jauron and the thing is, I am 100% serious. Talk to people like R.Rich and Badolbilz before a draft. I do, and these guys are dead on year after year.

Think about this for a moment if you will.....internet posters knowing more than the losers running our team for the last 4 years. Do you see my point at all? Draft good players, build the lines and Marty Schottenheimer would have this team in the playoffs in one seaon, two at the most.

I agree with you 100% - I would wager there are a good 10 plus members of this site would would have done BETTER than those in the previous administrations. No argument.

I will disagree on the free agent possibilities - I think the Bill's still had a draw when Spikes came. Today, I feel the organizaiton has lost any of the luster it once had. It is a shame, but any good will won over by the Superbowl era teams has been wasted and for the most part, forgotten on today's NFL.

I have to say that disagree with almost everything here, highlighted the statements that I could debate but why bother.

It's too bad that you and many other people feel like this. I know some of it is true, that Buffalo as a city needs a make over. I just wonder if these extreme feelings of impending doom are a generational thing?

It would be interesting to know the ages of the posters on this subject. Seems like the younger posters feel the most strongly that Buffalo will never get a quality coach and will never be a good team again.

I expect another bull run soon.

This is true, but with the salary cap, it doesn't have to be this way.

I remind you that neither the people of WNY nor the corrupt politicians drafted Donte Whitner, and wasted day 1 of a stacked 2006 draft. They also didn't shun Branden Albert and Clady and pick McKelvin. That was done by the Levy/Jauron tandem of idiocy.

You make a point about ufas prefrring to play elsewhere. This might be true, but Takeo Spikes signed here, and imo was a hall of fame talent before the injury. Fletcher did too and he's still in the probowl. When Bryce Paup signed with us, he was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Speillmann could also play, ya know? :wallbash:

This is what is wrong with the Bills, not the economic climate. Jmo.

Kipers Hair, I do understand your frustration but Bill is right. Please do not blame the economic climate in WNY for the failure of the Bills. You build a team thru the draft & the circle jerks have f*cked up the draft time & time again. Just look at the first round pick we have wasted trying to find our franchise qb over the last 10yrs with nothing to show for it. If this contract dispute goes down the way I think it is going to go down, forget Free Agency. With all the rules & regulations/stipulation the owners are putting on, it is going to be like the old days where there is going to be very little player movement if any at all. The bills need to build thru the draft. Even with an uncapped year, the Bills could compete with the Dallas & Washington, they just have to be smarter & they have to work harder. So does just about every other team in the league too.

When you make the statement that Buffalo is not deserving of a football franchise you can articulate all you want, its still BS in my opinion...

Thinking about it some more, maybe "deserving" is the wrong word. "capable of sustaining" maybe is a better way to put it.